Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2023, 07:49 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Which of the countries at the top have a child poverty rate of 25%, as we do here in the U. S.? And for those with a poverty rate that high, which of them also do no have universal health care for those children? Which of those countries fund their schools based on local property taxes in areas with a depleted tax base?

There are issues in education in the United States which did not start in the schools and which cannot be solved by the schools.

1. The US has nothing close to a 25% child poverty rate.

2. The US is always a top 2-3 proportional spender in the world on K-12.

2.1. If money over baseline amounts really mattered NY and Alaska would be lapping the pack - they aren't and Utah would be dead last most years - it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 10:03 PM

50,758 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Most education sites are blaming the pandemic, not poverty.
The US had been on a downward trend for Math for years now.
I doubt health insurance had anything to do with math skills.
I think it's appropriate to blame the pandemic for what is happening to our scores WITHIN country. But not appropriate to blame the scores when comparing them internationally since all countries suffered from the same pandemic.

Old 12-07-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Are you saying that the U. S. was doing just fine before the pandemic?
And I'm not talking about health insurance but instead health care. When kids are sick or can't see or hear properly, they can't do their best in school.

I remember one student who couldn't see. Her mother couldn't afford glasses, so she went without them for the two years that I taught her. It was neglect, but a referral to child protective services would not have had a favorable outcome.
He didn't say that. He said most education sites were...

Old 12-07-2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. The US has nothing close to a 25% child poverty rate.

2. The US is always a top 2-3 proportional spender in the world on K-12.

2.1. If money over baseline amounts really mattered NY and Alaska would be lapping the pack - they aren't and Utah would be dead last most years - it isn't.
1. The child poverty rate right now is over 12%.

2. And keep in mind that prices of almost everything are more expensive here. Fit that into the equation...if you want to be honest about it.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:08 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. The child poverty rate right now is over 12%.

2. And keep in mind that prices of almost everything are more expensive here. Fit that into the equation...if you want to be honest about it.
I'm an economist, here's a bar napkin run down.

1. The various official poverty rates account for the effects of inflation (using CPI-U to be specific). IOW inflation is already fit into the equation. So I'm definitionally being honest about it.

2. In '21 child poverty was ~5% and ~12% in '22. We don't know what it is right now.

2. The various poverty metrics are benchmarked against gross income but do not included things like subsidized housing, in kind transfers, medicaid, WIC, tuition waivers, private sector transfers like food, pro-bono medical care etc. IOW various transfers and welfare lift millions and millions out of poverty including kids.

Old 12-08-2023, 05:50 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think it's appropriate to blame the pandemic for what is happening to our scores WITHIN country. But not appropriate to blame the scores when comparing them internationally since all countries suffered from the same pandemic.
I agree. We had been trending down since before the pandemic and I think the pandemic made it glaringly obvious this go round.
But as long as educator stories and the Dept of Education dismiss it and reason it off...nothing will change.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:00 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,230,703 times
My apologies about the U. S. child poverty rate. The rate in my state of Mississippi is over 25%. I must have gotten them mixed up. I should have verified my numbers before posting.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:14 AM

7,724 posts, read 3,773,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That statement is literal proof that those running the education show are incompetent liars, 34th of 40 in math means our kids are in the game to sweep floors and flip burgers.
Very true.

For the good of the nation, it is time to disband and outlaw teachers unions and fire incompetent administrators, principals and teachers and dispense with educational sinecures.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:18 AM

7,724 posts, read 3,773,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

How can colleges keep registration open for USA students, when there is the rest of the world who is seeking to GAIN education, rather than decline?
It is clear many of our elite universities care more about Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and defining cisheterosexism as violence against oppressed peoples.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:28 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
It is clear many of our elite universities care more about Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and defining cisheterosexism as violence against oppressed peoples.
Coming back to bite them since Oct 7.

Frankenstein was the true monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education