Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-08-2023, 09:21 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Reputation: 46172

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Very true.

For the good of the nation, it is time to disband and outlaw teachers unions and fire incompetent administrators, principals and teachers and dispense with educational sinecures.
Further.... Outsource USA k-12 education to a friendly country who has proven they can do it more effectively for a fraction of the cost. Adapt 'best practices' from around the world.

Imagine getting double and triple utilization of school buildings, no food service, no buses, no athletic expenses... No social engineering agenda... Just academic instruction.

Lots of room for improvement here in USA

Students desiring STEM careers could research , experiment, and lead the change, from their K-12 education (which might include fewer classrooms and teachers)

Consider the results... Skyrocketing improvement in test scores, because the kids are engaged, and successful (they are improving their future, as well as that of their peers and nation.)

Putting the onus on the existing system is kicking the worn out can down the same old road. It's a DEAD end!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2023, 09:23 AM
 
28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Reputation: 30944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Because it all became political.
Most of the people involved were "think tank" people...Ivory Tower types far removed from real life.
Above is my opinion.

Example...rote has it's place in Math especially the multiplication tables.
They are key to higher level Mathematics.
8th graders struggling with 6x8 ...how will they be able to simplify algebraic equations involving variables ?
That's because no "common core" requirement was rigorously applied to them as 2nd and 3rd graders.

It's as though in military basic training, where the end goal for all recruits is to pass the obstacle course by the end of training, but from the beginning the instructors let the fat recruits stop whenever they got tired...and then were surprised when at the end of training the fat recruits couldn't complete the obstacle course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2023, 09:28 AM
 
Location: NMB, SC
43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Reputation: 34961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's because no "common core" requirement was rigorously applied to them as 2nd and 3rd graders.

It's as though in military basic training, where the end goal for all recruits is to pass the obstacle course by the end of training, but from the beginning the instructors let the fat recruits stop whenever they got tired...and then were surprised when at the end of training the fat recruits couldn't complete the obstacle course.
Speak of recruits. I didn't get a pass in boot camp. I'm 110lb female. They had to use my belt and strap that M16 to my arms so I could shoot it on semi-automatic. When it came to the shotguns...someone was behind me to catch me from the kickback

The only time I got a pass was when we had to put out an oil fire with water. They knew that I could not be first "man" at the hose.

(CG bootcamp back in the early 80's)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2023, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Reputation: 32935
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Everybody has a different opinion about test score goals in reading and math?

If that is the case, then should we have different expectations for different groups of Americans?
As usual you put words in my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2023, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Reputation: 32935
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Because it all became political.
Most of the people involved were "think tank" people...Ivory Tower types far removed from real life.
Above is my opinion.

Example...rote has it's place in Math especially the multiplication tables.
They are key to higher level Mathematics.
8th graders struggling with 6x8 ...how will they be able to simplify algebraic equations involving variables ?
Yes, to the political aspect.

But who should have 'the say'? That's part of the problem, too.

I agree about rote arithmetic/math; it is a tool for higher level math. But along with the rote, I would like kids to understand how it works. That's part of the problem with calculators and computers...no need to understand conceptually the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2023, 10:27 AM
 
19,783 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Reputation: 17269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
My apologies about the U. S. child poverty rate. The rate in my state of Mississippi is over 25%. I must have gotten them mixed up. I should have verified my numbers before posting.
There is zero shame in posting an incorrect number.........everyone here has done so. Me - many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2023, 10:28 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Reputation: 25153
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As usual you put words in my mouth.
It sounded to me like you stated that everyone has a different opinion about what should be the common core of educational knowledge and experiences.

Would you mind expanding on what you mean by that?

I was under the impression that Americans are mostly in agreement about what the common core of education should be. But who knows? Maybe I’ve been living under a rock all these years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2023, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Reputation: 32935
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It sounded to me like you stated that everyone has a different opinion about what should be the common core of educational knowledge and experiences.

Would you mind expanding on what you mean by that?

I was under the impression that Americans are mostly in agreement about what the common core of education should be.
Then what is all the arguing on this forum about?
What's all the arguing about at school board meetings?
Why aren't schools in Mississippi not teaching pretty much the same things as schools in Massachusetts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2023, 12:05 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Reputation: 25153
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then what is all the arguing on this forum about?
What's all the arguing about at school board meetings?
Why aren't schools in Mississippi not teaching pretty much the same things as schools in Massachusetts?
Schools in Mississippi don’t teach reading, writing, math, science, etc., like schools in Massachusetts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2023, 12:23 PM
 
28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Reputation: 30944
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Schools in Mississippi don’t teach reading, writing, math, science, etc., like schools in Massachusetts?
Well, no. Schools in Mississippi don’t teach reading, writing, math, science, etc., like schools in Massachusetts?

That's the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:26 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top