Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2023, 12:59 PM

27,693 posts, read 28,800,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, no. Schools in Mississippi don’t teach reading, writing, math, science, etc., like schools in Massachusetts?

That's the issue.
The standards may be higher in one state over the other.

But I would expect the gist of the education to be the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 01:43 PM

12,892 posts, read 9,142,097 times
Quote:
That's because no "common core" requirement was rigorously applied to them as 2nd and 3rd graders.

It's as though in military basic training, where the end goal for all recruits is to pass the obstacle course by the end of training, but from the beginning the instructors let the fat recruits stop whenever they got tired...and then were surprised when at the end of training the fat recruits couldn't complete the obstacle course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It sounded to me like you stated that everyone has a different opinion about what should be the common core of educational knowledge and experiences.

Would you mind expanding on what you mean by that?

I was under the impression that Americans are mostly in agreement about what the common core of education should be. But who knows? Maybe I’ve been living under a rock all these years.
I think the various states actually had a pretty solid common education core (small "c") set of knowledge and skills for years. And it worked pretty dang good. Common Core (big "C") may have started out as a good idea, but somewhere along the way too much edu-experimental feelings got rolled in and the outcome product was pretty much everything but what a common core set of knowledge should be. The pushback wasn't because it was "common core" (small "c") but almost a hodge podge of techniques presented out of order. In math for example, trying to get too abstract before kids even understood 2+2. There are plenty of examples of Common Core (big "C") problems on the internet & YouTube for those who are interested.

Essentially Common Core is an example of the name something is given is the opposite of what it is. IE Common Core isn't and Best Practices aren't.

Old 12-08-2023, 03:52 PM

35,312 posts, read 17,208,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That statement is literal proof that those running the education show are incompetent liars, 34th of 40 in math means our kids are in the game to sweep floors and flip burgers.
Our students know more of the "soft skills."

Old 12-08-2023, 04:42 PM

51,055 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The standards may be higher in one state over the other.

But I would expect the gist of the education to be the same.
So why are people here discussing education, often in somewhat heated tones?

Old 12-08-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think the various states actually had a pretty solid common education core (small "c") set of knowledge and skills for years. And it worked pretty dang good. Common Core (big "C") may have started out as a good idea, but somewhere along the way too much edu-experimental feelings got rolled in and the outcome product was pretty much everything but what a common core set of knowledge should be. The pushback wasn't because it was "common core" (small "c") but almost a hodge podge of techniques presented out of order. In math for example, trying to get too abstract before kids even understood 2+2. There are plenty of examples of Common Core (big "C") problems on the internet & YouTube for those who are interested.

Essentially Common Core is an example of the name something is given is the opposite of what it is. IE Common Core isn't and Best Practices aren't.
1. When was that they had "a pretty solid common education core"? What was it? How did they arrive at it? You have some evidence?

2. There's an old saying that, "If you always do what you've done, you'll always get what you always got". And yet, while you're saying the old ways were so good, American weren't satisfied. Yes, mistakes were made. No question. But the only way you make progress and improvement is by trying something new.

3. So all "best practices" aren't. What a broad, sweeping generality.

Old 12-08-2023, 05:30 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I've been seeing articles about Gen Z having considerable problems with soft skills. They know how to virtue signal online, but actually getting along with people on a team or workgroup...not always so much.

Old 12-08-2023, 07:13 PM

19,954 posts, read 18,238,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I love the logical deflection that those ranging from weak to incompetent in math, science, tech are, "more well rounded."

Old 12-08-2023, 07:43 PM

35,312 posts, read 17,208,235 times
Quote:
I've been seeing articles about Gen Z having considerable problems with soft skills. They know how to virtue signal online, but actually getting along with people on a team or workgroup...not always so much.
I 100% agree. Having real compassion for people as hard; virtue signaling is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I love the logical deflection that those ranging from weak to incompetent in math, science, tech are, "more well rounded."
Aand I modified my post so that it would be appropriate for this forum as opposed to POC.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I can certainly believe that when some of them sit in front of a computer for hours playing games.

Old 12-09-2023, 01:49 PM

19,954 posts, read 18,238,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Very true.

For the good of the nation, it is time to disband and outlaw teachers unions and fire incompetent administrators, principals and teachers and dispense with educational sinecures.
As of now we don't have the will I'm afraid....too many entrenched interests in the system. Too many disengaged parents and taxpayers. Too many parents and teachers afraid of standardized tests and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education