Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2023, 06:58 PM

13,061 posts, read 7,497,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
From our experience,
Those kids who really want to do STEM, will figure out a way to get it done.
If government doesn't want STEM promoted in the grades and universities, then private industry steps in to fulfill their needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Right now we pretty much have 50 relatively independent agencies (state ed departments) with no coordinated plan, and in many cases no state plan, to promote wise career choices based on what our nation needs. The self-interest of private industry will never lead to a coordinated program.
I see no problems.
In this state (Washington), The various STEM companies have been sucking up STEM graduates for many years from other states and nations. Just who are the winners and losers?
DS went to private out-of-state undergrad university at near full-pay rate. Grad school at a foreign public university.

Does the USA, really want coordinated programs?
YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 04:31 AM

27,552 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Now, you're talking big money and a small percentage of parents who have that money.

When I was a kid, my parents made sure I was at the kitchen table doing my homework and made sure I respected the teacher. They didn't have to do any actual "teaching" activities with me. I suspect that was true of nearly everyone my age and older.
You don’t have to use all of the resources at your disposal, of course. But just do the things that are sufficient to help your kid get better grades. Different kids are wired differently, so not every resource is going to be helpful anyway.

School is different now than it was decades ago. A lot of the subject matter is more challenging. Therefore, outside resources may be needed to help a lot of students. I can assure you that a lot of parents make use of them.

And it doesn’t have to be expensive. You can get complete study aid sets from Amazon or eBay for less than $50.

Old 12-14-2023, 10:07 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
The robots will learn how to program and build new robots and then the students who majored in math and science will bonk themselves on the head and wish they had started a robot lube and wash business after high school.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The robots will learn how to program and build new robots and then the students who majored in math and science will bonk themselves on the head and wish they had started a robot lube and wash business after high school.
so true,

One of my last projects, designing and manufacturing 3-D printers in Malaysia. We ran out of some hard to get components, so we consolidated components to make one printer functional, and used it to 3-D print the parts required to keep the production line running.

It was probably the idea of of a younger worker, as they are not as inhibited by, "You can't do that!".

Old 12-15-2023, 05:56 AM

Quote:
People said AI would take over and cause the end of humanity when chat gtp came out.

Old 12-15-2023, 06:12 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People said AI would take over and cause the end of humanity when chat gtp came out.
That's been less than a year...nobody really knows yet what the impact will be.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
These predications were made a long time ago. I started reading science fiction by Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke in the mid to late 1960s. These AI predictions were made in their books, especially 2001: A Space Odyssey, which was published in 1968. I dealt with in company in 1984 that was supposed to be on the leading edge with AI, but never seemed to have any commercial success, and was later acquired by another company. I have heard these predictions since I was a teenager.

Even the Pope yesterday called for an international treaty to ensure artificial intelligence is developed and used ethically. We may have finally reached the point where the earlier predictions are now becoming reality.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
These predications were made a long time ago. I started reading science fiction by Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke in the mid to late 1960s. These AI predictions were made in their books, especially 2001: A Space Odyssey, which was published in 1968. I dealt with in company in 1984 that was supposed to be on the leading edge with AI, but never seemed to have any commercial success, and was later acquired by another company. I have heard these predictions since I was a teenager.

Even the Pope yesterday called for an international treaty to ensure artificial intelligence is developed and used ethically. We may have finally reached the point where the earlier predictions are now becoming reality.
Yes, Isaac Asimov introduced the Three Laws of Robotics in 1942.

We have yet to find any use for them.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:28 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
And if that's the case, what will those who majored in pretty much anything else be doing?

Old 12-15-2023, 09:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
And if that's the case, what will those who majored in pretty much anything else be doing?
Innovation

But that requires initiative and risk, which excludes most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education