Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2023, 11:04 AM

10,375 posts, read 10,714,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I live in a city that is home to one big national lab and close to the Los Alamos National Lab, as well as an air force base. It is also the city where that reprobate Bill Gates built his first computer in his mother's garage. We have always had public schools with science programs sponsored by the labs. In the 60's my favorite school day every month was when some scientist came and taught us about atoms or electricity or some other introduction to science we weren't getting in our regular science class. But that was the 60's. Now we have STEM charter schools for elementary, middle school and high school We even have on called Data High that has a focus on computer science. Data High has been around almost 20 years. So maybe it depends on the area you live in but yes, I think public schools here are doing their best to inspire science study. This city has the most PHD's per capita in the country. It is a small city with two major national labs and a university that is known for having excellent physics and engineering departments.
Are you confusing Bill Gates with someone else? Gates grew up in Seattle, and was more into coding instead of building computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 11:15 AM

51,064 posts, read 24,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Thank you for the link. Do you know how to get the raw data?

Questions I have is how fast does the performance drop off from the top schools? As a quick look using the lists on their site, it appears to drop quickly beyond the top 100 or so schools, leaving the remaining 17000 scoring lower to much lower. The other question is they really seem over score AP/IB in the quality score given that it's included in several of the sub scores and that many high school students are not skipping AP and taking dual enrollment classes instead which were not included in the methodology that I could see.
No I don't. I'm not going to obsess about that fine a data analysis.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,793 posts, read 58,301,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I live in a city that is home to one big national lab and close to the Los Alamos National Lab, as well as an air force base. It is also the city where that reprobate Bill Gates built his first computer in his mother's garage. We have always had public schools with science programs sponsored by the labs. ... It is a small city with two major national labs and a university that is known for having excellent physics and engineering departments.
good observation. I recommend National Lab areas for retirees, because they are full of very engaged, interesting, and educated retirees purposed to make their communities havens of information and excellence.

this plus more (Satellite operations in other towns)
https://www.energy.gov/articles/map-...-national-labs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...l_Laboratories

Plus similar significant installations of National Bureau of Standards, NOAA, Space Administration sites...

Our tech company held public Science Nights 4x / yr and paid employees to volunteer in public Schools every week (Most of us did it for free), often from the example of our CEOs who stressed Community Education and outreach for every employee (it was part of our annual development plan / performance rating).

It's just good practice to invest in others. Especially your skillset and experience.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:58 AM

13,116 posts, read 7,587,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for that post...particularly the bolded. It is not the only place in the country supporting science. Here's another with which I'm very familiar:

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...chnology-20461
2002-2006. bias anecdote.
DS said that his 1st semester roommate (TJ) and the other high performing public HS (Sty) classmates weren't that special. {DS got to his eastern school from the west coast a few days late because of continuing 9/11 airline issues, so he missed the orientations and classmate "bonding" period. He didn't play computer or board (D&D) games and didn't have the HS clique from feeder schools. }
YSMV

Old 12-18-2023, 12:07 PM

12,892 posts, read 9,142,097 times
Quote:
No I don't. I'm not going to obsess about that fine a data analysis.
Oh, too bad. I was hoping to glean some useful information from this.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:54 PM

14,441 posts, read 14,393,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And... Apparently No One (professionals) can figure out how to raise the USA average competitive international test scores
I can. I would offer test preparation as part of the curriculum which would include taking multiple practice tests. I'm confident that sort of thing goes on in other countries in an attempt to make their students look better than they really are.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:59 PM

14,441 posts, read 14,393,381 times
Quote:
And on the other hand, the year I taught at a rural school in western NYS, I had farm boys who had contests to see who could hold on to the electric fence the longest. The boy that told me he always won was MMR.
Farmers are supposed to be terrific engineers? Japanese engineers are considered some of the best in the world. Given the urban nature of Japan, I suspect very few grew up on farms.

Old 12-18-2023, 03:05 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I can. I would offer test preparation as part of the curriculum which would include taking multiple practice tests. I'm confident that sort of thing goes on in other countries in an attempt to make their students look better than they really are.
We took Iowa Basic Skills tests when I was a kid in the early 60s. I don't know if that was something all kids in Oklahoma were doing, or if it was what our black teachers were putting us through to prepare us for the future.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:03 PM

51,064 posts, read 24,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Oh, too bad. I was hoping to glean some useful information from this.
Do all the research you wish.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:16 PM

12,892 posts, read 9,142,097 times
Quote:
Do all the research you wish.
Oh I will. Just hoping that you, having been in the field, might be more interested into digging deeper into the data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education