Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2024, 02:58 PM

50,911 posts, read 24,413,204 times

Advertisements

Wife: "Honey, we need to buy a better quality food and start eating better".

Husband: "You're right honey. So instead of me giving you $150 a week for groceries, I'm going to give you $110 a week. That should take care of it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 05:28 PM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Wife: "Honey, we need to buy a better quality food and start eating better".

Husband: "You're right honey. So instead of me giving you $150 a week for groceries, I'm going to give you $110 a week. That should take care of it".
Well, leave out the two boxes of cookies at $4 each. And the three cartons of soda at $8 each. And the "gourmet" microwave meals at $4.75 and wow, eating healthier and saving money.

But let's have a serious conversation about this. We have to ask ourselves are we spending the money in the most effective way and getting the best ROI for the money spent. What will we do different with the money we have now and what will we do differently with the future money educators want that will change the outcomes? Will we change how things are taught? Will we change the discipline problems in school? What will be different this time?

Old 01-20-2024, 06:49 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well, leave out the two boxes of cookies at $4 each. And the three cartons of soda at $8 each. And the "gourmet" microwave meals at $4.75 and wow, eating healthier and saving money.

But let's have a serious conversation about this. We have to ask ourselves are we spending the money in the most effective way and getting the best ROI for the money spent. What will we do different with the money we have now and what will we do differently with the future money educators want that will change the outcomes? Will we change how things are taught? Will we change the discipline problems in school? What will be different this time?
Yes, I think that conversation should go, "Tell me how you'll fix it, then we'll discuss how we'll pay for the fix."

Old 01-20-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:

You have one vote.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:51 PM

43,191 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:

I couldn't even tell you what the school system is like these days.
I left in 2018 and changes happen so quick now.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
You have one vote.
What are we voting on? Or do educators not really have any plan?

Old 01-20-2024, 09:44 PM

Quote:
What are we voting on? Or do educators not really have any plan?
You know better. There are lots of ideas out there. In lots of states. In lots of districts.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
You know better. There are lots of ideas out there. In lots of states. In lots of districts.
You still haven't presented what you would do with the extra money.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:24 AM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) began in 1939 with the purpose of keeping white mothers out of the workforce during the Depression Era. They got the aid even if their unemployed husbands were in the house. American entrance into WWII and the workforce changes wrought by the war were not contemplated at the time.

I specified "white mothers" because black mothers did not receive the aid in most states (although it was a government program, it was managed by the states). Black mothers were considered already in the workforce, and in many states the intention was to keep them in the work force as a cheap labor resource, both domestic and commercial.

The aid was extended to black mothers in the latter years of the Eisenhower Administration, prior to the Civil Rights Act and prior to the Johnson Administration. However, at that same time many states established the notorious "no man in the house rule."
This rule is cited as a reason why many families broke up and why the whole single mother thing became so widespread. However, you have to think about it. The rule was created because there was a belief fathers ought to be working and supporting families. There was concern also that without this rule that some low income fathers might stop working entirely secure in the knowledge they could just go pick up check every month from Uncle Sam instead. I don't see it as evil or insidious. It may have had some detrimental effects, but the intentions behind it were reasonable ones.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You still haven't presented what you would do with the extra money.
1. That would be a waste of time with you.

2. That's not for one person to decide. It has to be a democratic process. It isn't a "well I have the answer" situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education