Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2024, 11:22 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And make the food edible!
Yeah, I'm not really joking when I say when I think back on the food we were served in elementary school for lunch it gives me PTSD. Some it was truly awful. It was definitely made from the cheapest ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 12:00 AM

50,906 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Yeah, I'm not really joking when I say when I think back on the food we were served in elementary school for lunch it gives me PTSD. Some it was truly awful. It was definitely made from the cheapest ingredients.
Like "mystery meat"!

Old 01-27-2024, 05:42 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:

But it was prepared at the school from decent foodstuff.

Old 01-27-2024, 07:40 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
At some point we must wake up and re-route more poorly leveraged social welfare money towards kids. IMO a good place to start would be breakfast, lunch and dinner at school for every kid in need.
Our local school system basically does that. As well as running a food truck over summer and various periods when school is out. And sends food home with kids on Friday so they'll have some over the weekends.

Quote:
My school served some of the awfulest stuff (can't say the word I want). Then finally the woman who ran the cafeteria retired and instantly the quality of the food went up. Same budget. Same ingredients. Same staff. But huge change in quality of product.

There's a lady who's a school cook that posts occasionally. She should weigh in on this.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:23 AM

19,866 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
And make the food edible!
That would be nice.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:26 AM

7,376 posts, read 4,162,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Our local school system basically does that. As well as running a food truck over summer and various periods when school is out. And sends food home with kids on Friday so they'll have some over the weekends.
It's good to hear!

Getting back to grammar school lunches, every so often there is an article on the high quality of European school lunches versus US school lunches. School lunches focus on the most commonly available foods in each country. Kids eat foods they know. If it's unfamiliar, lunch gets tossed.

European restaurants don't have children meals. Children eat adult foods. There is no concept of a chicken nuggets as a substitute for an adult meal. If the parents eat escargot or artichokes, then the kids do.

Children's menus are a weirdness in US culture. Yes, school lunches are horrible and should be better.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:46 AM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

My school served some of the awfulest stuff (can't say the word I want). Then finally the woman who ran the cafeteria retired and instantly the quality of the food went up. Same budget. Same ingredients. Same staff. But huge change in quality of product.

There's a lady who's a school cook that posts occasionally. She should weigh in on this.
In my adult life, I've become something of a gourmet cook. At least my wife thinks so.

I think that my experiences eating terrible school lunches made me think more about food and nutrition. Nothing makes me lose respect for someone faster than seeing them prepare food badly.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:49 AM

7,891 posts, read 3,872,973 times
Quote:
In my adult life, I've become something of a gourmet cook. At least my wife thinks so.
You might want to pick up a copy of https://www.amazon.com/Modernist-Cui...142/ref=sr_1_1. The author gave me a set as a present (after some unrelated patent negotiations). It is very innovative.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:35 AM

19,866 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:
Quote:
Like "mystery meat"!

Wanted to quote tnff as well but couldn't.

Speaking of mystery meat and lunchroom inspired PTSD.....

Late during my unusually long middle school career as an austerity measure I guess our lunchroom suddenly began to regularly serve cold white bread and "meat" sandwiches.

This stuff must have been 50% cereals, binders, fillers + a liquid solution of water, chemicals and salt and 50% meat unfit for dog food or prisoners, usually I'd find chunks of cereals and lots of more or less un-chewable gristle - I'd bet that was pulverized tendons, ligaments and possibly reconstituted bones. Sometimes the substance had an unsettling blue hue as well.

The very worst local deli counter meat would have been much better.

Pretty soon the lunchroom overlords noticed that most kids were not eating the sometimes blue meat. Management wised up and served cold white bread and cheese sandwiches instead.....a remarkable improvement.

I'm chuckling about it and becoming vaguely sick at the same time.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:46 AM

50,906 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Wanted to quote tnff as well but couldn't.

Speaking of mystery meat and lunchroom inspired PTSD.....

Late during my unusually long middle school career as an austerity measure I guess our lunchroom suddenly began to regularly serve cold white bread and "meat" sandwiches.

This stuff must have been 50% cereals, binders, fillers + a liquid solution of water, chemicals and salt and 50% meat unfit for dog food or prisoners, usually I'd find chunks of cereals and lots of more or less un-chewable gristle - I'd bet that was pulverized tendons, ligaments and possibly reconstituted bones. Sometimes the substance had an unsettling blue hue as well.

The very worst local deli counter meat would have been much better.

Pretty soon the lunchroom overlords noticed that most kids were not eating the sometimes blue meat. Management wised up and served cold white bread and cheese sandwiches instead.....a remarkable improvement.

I'm chuckling about it and becoming vaguely sick at the same time.
After one of our long-serving guidance directors retired, he would still come back to visit almost every Thursday because that was the day the cafeteria served what he considered to be the best pasta he ever ate. While I'll admit it was edible, I could only assume he married a woman who couldn't cook at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education