Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2024, 10:18 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well if you read enough articles the so called "experts" blame poverty and lack of food.
I haven't seen many articles blaming our academic policies. It seems it's all social issues.
How does that have bearing here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Feel free to add your meaningful content to the thread. Whether the last 5 minutes or the last 30+ yrs.

Has 2000s America done a bad job at inspiring youth to go into science and engineering?

We're all well aware of your failures.

We've chosen not to go there. (it's a choice, since opportunites to succeed are limitless. (to those willing to try)
My point is your comparison to figures from centuries ago is not an apples to apples to comparison. The homeschool site also didn't help your case. I'm very well educated, no failures here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 10:40 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
And who did we, as a nation, entrust with educating our society?
Elected boards of education.

Old 01-29-2024, 10:56 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I might add that because people in the United States are determined to have local control of education many of this nation's school districts are small. The idea was to keep as much local control of education as possible (whether that is a good thing or not).

The reality is that if someone wonders who was put in charge of educating the young people around them they shouldn't have to look very far.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I might add that because people in the United States are determined to have local control of education many of this nation's school districts are small. The idea was to keep as much local control of education as possible (whether that is a good thing or not).

The reality is that if someone wonders who was put in charge of educating the young people around them they shouldn't have to look very far.
And even at the state level, BOE's are appointed by ELECTED politicians (at least where I've worked).

Old 01-29-2024, 11:45 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
And who did those boards hire?

Old 01-29-2024, 11:52 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
How does that have bearing here?

My point is your comparison to figures from centuries ago is not an apples to apples to comparison. The homeschool site also didn't help your case. I'm very well educated, no failures here.
Poverty and food has a big bearing on education in the US.
We have studies

School lunch and academic performance:
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/h...c-performance/

Poverty and academic performance:
https://www.nassp.org/poverty-and-it...nts-education/

Old 01-29-2024, 11:55 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
We also have national policies...NCLB, Common Core, RTT, etc.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
And who did those boards hire?
That's not the point. We're talking about who makes the big decisions. And that is state and local boards of education.

I know...democracy is messy.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
We also have national policies...NCLB, Common Core, RTT, etc.
More recently, yes. And again those came out of elected representatives and their appointees.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:59 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Good point! I live in Pennsylvania and we have 500 school districts. Other than Philadelphia, we have no county school districts. Some of the school districts in PA have less than 300 students. That's less than 23 in a class. The school boards have little understanding of what goes on in schools because they are not there. They meet at night and approve critical decisions like approving a cafeteria worker from part-time to full-time status. Check your school board minutes. Many of the monthly meetings are over in 30 minutes. At the other extreme is the current trend to ban books in school libraries.

In the case of PA, we would be better off if smaller, more rural counties moved to county school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education