Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2023, 09:53 AM

28,563 posts, read 18,563,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Kids cringe when you mention physics because they have been taught to cringe. By society. By their parents. By their friends. By their teachers. Physics involves math. Kids learn to hate math by middle school. There have been quite a few studies on this phenomenon.
Not enough elementary school preparation. Elementary school is where there needs to be more "equity" applied to pedagogy. By "equity" I mean elementary school is where we need to make sure that children get whatever "unequal treatment" is necessary to ensure that they finish with true "equal outcomes" in basic education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 10:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,554 posts, read 57,471,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
To the bolded... work at what?
As mentioned.... An applicable job with exposure to chosen field. The employer may appreciate the incentive, and pay for college. I started as a janitor in a tech firm at age 17. They paid for 5 degrees + sponsored my apprenticeship.

STEM related entry level employment...
Lab tech
Machinist
Draftsperson
Vet assistant
Assembler
Water quality sample collector (a classmate took a great job testing back country Colorado lakes). He got a snowmobile, cabin, ATV, and his company paid for college.
Hospital aide
Warehouse services
Technical delivery
Oil well / extraction services
Survey tech
... janitor

Any role that gets you access to operations, fellow employees, technology, professional services can be the appropriate way to gain a foothold to advancement and growth in an industry. Most importantly.... Exposure to if it is something you could enjoy and be successful.

I would ask any college student, "what have you done to explore your chosen field?" Exposure, informational interviews, internships, WORK...

Old 11-28-2023, 10:03 AM

28,563 posts, read 18,563,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
To the bolded... work at what?
That would mean getting training in an adjacent technical vocation and working that for a few years.

Old 11-28-2023, 10:04 AM

10,227 posts, read 13,733,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I'm saying that maybe people should work in their intended field for a few years before going to college, in order to see if the lifestyle is for them or not.
How the hell do they get a job in that field with no college degree?

Old 11-28-2023, 10:06 AM

10,227 posts, read 13,733,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As mentioned.... An applicable job with exposure to chosen field. The employer may appreciate the incentive, and pay for college. I started as a janitor in a tech firm at age 17. They paid for 5 degrees + sponsored my apprenticeship.

STEM related entry level employment...
Lab tech
Machinist
Draftsperson
Vet assistant
Assembler
Water quality sample collector (a classmate took a great job testing back country Colorado lakes). He got a snowmobile, cabin, ATV, and his company paid for college.
Hospital aide
Warehouse services
Technical delivery
Oil well / extraction services
Survey tech
... janitor

Any role that gets you access to operations, fellow employees, technology, professional services can be the appropriate way to gain a foothold to advancement and growth in an industry. Most importantly.... Exposure to if it is something you could enjoy and be successful.

I would ask any college student, "what have you done to explore your chosen field?" Exposure, informational interviews, internships, WORK...
And as a janitor they discovered your technical skills? If I didn't know any better this sounds a bit like the plot of Good Will Hunting.

Old 11-28-2023, 10:14 AM

41,665 posts, read 17,264,873 times
Science and Engineering require a good grasp of Math.
We don't have that here in the US.

Old 11-28-2023, 10:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,554 posts, read 57,471,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It's so simple
For those with the least drop of initiative.

As a stem hiring professional.... We can spot it immediately.

Slackers need not apply (qualified by education, included)

Old 11-28-2023, 11:05 AM

50,128 posts, read 23,792,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Entertainer of some sort, like a YouTube influencer. That would be it.

That's probably been an aspiration of most kids at some point in time for the last 100 years at least, since movies, radio, and gramophones became popular. Most used to grow out of it pretty quickly, before they'd squandered their formative years with that aspiration.
I don't consider it to be "squandered". It's part of being a kid. It's part of growing up.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
What's not to understand? Work as a surgeon for a few years and then go to med school.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
And as a janitor they discovered your technical skills? If I didn't know any better this sounds a bit like the plot of Good Will Hunting.
they paid for 5 degrees and an apprenticeship...happens all the time...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education