Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 09:19 AM

10,337 posts, read 10,601,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My kids' schools did breakfast from something like 7:15 to first bell. There was no structure to it, if you wanted it, you went and got it.

Interesting about the shorter periods at the high school. Their high school did the opposite and went to something like 90 minute periods in general, but not for all classes. Then to add some confusion to the mix, some classes were half a semester long, but double periods, others a full semester, and others a full year. It was very confusing building their schedules each year. One year they got a new guidance counselor right in the middle of summer scheduling and those schedules were so messed up some classes didn't get straightened out about six weeks into the semester. The first week they told the kids to go to the class that was on their official schedule while they figured it out. Eventually they just told the kids to go to the class they wanted to be in and the school would make that the official schedule for the semester. It was a mess.
Most schools do breakfast like your kids. I've only encountered one that does like I described.

Regarding the length of classes, 40 minutes is typical. The junior high I mentioned has longer classes for math and English. The classes are 60 minutes instead of 40. Students are switching classes while other students are in class.

One high school does a block schedule where classes are 1:40 long. They have four classes a day that meet on alternate days. They also have a special period around lunch where they can sign up for different activities or have a study hall. My last time there they had career speakers in different locations around the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 02:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,666 posts, read 57,851,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My kids' schools did breakfast from something like 7:15 to first bell. There was no structure to it, if you wanted it, you went and got it.

... Eventually they just told the kids to go to the class they wanted to be in and the school would make that the official schedule for the semester. It was a mess.
It's now 2024.

We've arrived!
Educational choice.
no 'SCHOOL' or it's related inefficiences required.

Science and engineering is a daily activity for youth that are engaged.
Nothing 'boring' about it. No peer pressure (disincentive?) if you are not sitting around a school 8 hrs / day with a bunch of clones.

Individual and analytical thought processes can lead to rational decision regarding science and engineering inspiration.

As I looked around at the 26 youth in our 44 person 'mixed age (age 6-86)' SS class yesterday morning... ALL of the youth were engaged and participating with excellent points and clear communication. NONE of them have been going to 'school', EVER. (Neither had most of their parents). Their grandparents had probably gone to school. They were napping. (Actually... those who had grown-up or served overseas for most of their life were quite engaged and well informed)

Each of us will follow our own path, as will those who are following us. (Watch who you are leading, and where you are leading them.)

Old 03-01-2024, 05:29 AM

909 posts, read 466,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar992 View Post
As someone who went to public schools in an average semi rural middle class part of America during the 2000s I don't recall anyone I knew from my school years who went into science and engineering.

I don't recall anyone from my elementary school years saying they dreamed of being an astronaut let alone a scientist or engineer.

I heard the 1960s "Space Race" inspired many of the youth of America during that era to go into science and engineering and they ended up giving us the tech boom of the 1990s.

It seems like American society in the 90s and 2000s were more excited by Hollywood level wealth and materialism rather than build a better future.

Could 90s and 2000s America done a better job at inspiring youth to go into science and engineering?
In the 60's at our high school, a fellow student named James Deerman ran off w/ Ms Roberts, the English teacher who drove a red Corvette convertible. That was definitely an inspiration to us all.

Last edited by stephenMM; 03-01-2024 at 05:47 AM..

Old 03-01-2024, 06:17 AM

4,855 posts, read 6,888,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
In the 60's at our high school, a fellow student named James Deerman ran off w/ Ms Roberts, the English teacher who drove a red Corvette convertible. That was definitely an inspiration to us all.
If she was hot AND owned a Corvette convertible, James would have been looked on upon by his male classmates as a GOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education