Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 10:29 PM

579 posts, read 367,887 times

Advertisements

I have an interview coming up for a full time job tutoring math in a public school. I have a math degree, so there is no issue with me knowing the material. Though it's been a long time, I have tutored before, so that's not an issue either.

However, in this interview, I'll need to explain how I plan to implement this so-called "anti-oppression". What does this mean? I'm not supposed to oppress the students?

I know modern public schools have fully embraced a bunch of crazy ideas, but this is just going off the charts. I have no plans to oppress anyone, but I would like to impress the interviewer so I get this job.

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2023, 07:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Oppression is definitely REAL in US History.

Recognizing that is important and done by most responsible adults. Setting a measurable agenda can be yet another policy to tip-toe around (as an employee).

https://theantioppressionnetwork.com...ti-oppression/

It's too bad we can no longer have frank discussions with meaningful dialog.

Not doing so adds to our Coddling Problem. (which will be a significant social downfall, but not the only thing our enemies are effectively using against us, leading to our self destruction as a nation).

"anti-oppression" is an implied term that builds defenses and excuses. Polarizing the progress to recognize and remediate.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:20 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
I have an interview coming up for a full time job tutoring math in a public school. I have a math degree, so there is no issue with me knowing the material. Though it's been a long time, I have tutored before, so that's not an issue either.

However, in this interview, I'll need to explain how I plan to implement this so-called "anti-oppression". What does this mean? I'm not supposed to oppress the students?

I know modern public schools have fully embraced a bunch of crazy ideas, but this is just going off the charts. I have no plans to oppress anyone, but I would like to impress the interviewer so I get this job.

Thanks.
I have to ask you a question. You say you don't know what "anti-oppression" is. Okay...right now, without reading any further, I don't know either. But if you don't know what it is, how can you say it's a crazy idea that's off the charts?

Old 12-06-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have to ask you a question. You say you don't know what "anti-oppression" is. Okay...right now, without reading any further, I don't know either. But if you don't know what it is, how can you say it's a crazy idea that's off the charts?
I said in my OP that I know what the words mean.... I'm not supposed to oppress the students, which should be obvious... but really, what do they want me to do? Pretend that I'm about to oppress the students and then stop myself from doing so?

It just strikes me as a bunch of hooey. I'm looking for some assistance so I can please the interviewer and move on to actually teaching students something useful.

Old 12-06-2023, 12:03 PM

6,559 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Yes, we know what the words mean but what is the context in relation to this school system? Because, as you said, it's obvious that a teacher shouldn't oppress students.

To implement it means to put it into effect. So is "it" a policy? Is "it" a strategic initiative? Is "it" a teaching method?

If you don't know the context, then ask them and ask them to provide some examples. Then you can properly respond.

Old 12-06-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Yes, we know what the words mean but what is the context in relation to this school system? Because, as you said, it's obvious that a teacher shouldn't oppress students.

To implement it means to put it into effect. So is "it" a policy? Is "it" a strategic initiative? Is "it" a teaching method?

If you don't know the context, then ask them and ask them to provide some examples. Then you can properly respond.
Thank you. I will ask them.

Old 12-06-2023, 12:19 PM

6,559 posts, read 8,389,581 times
So I found this link and you may find it helpful.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://board.dpsk12.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/101/22_23-Ends-1.1-Equity-Reasonable-Interpretation.pdf

I suggest reading the definitions and reflecting on how some of those could be applied to your teaching style/methods and subject matter.

I could be going down the totally wrong path here but I would hazard a guess that numbers 5, 7, 8, 9, 15, 16, 20, and 21 might be helpful to reflect on as it applies to your teaching methods, interactions with students, and classroom management. But you would be prepared at least is that's what they're looking for.

Old 12-06-2023, 12:29 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
I said in my OP that I know what the words mean.... I'm not supposed to oppress the students, which should be obvious... but really, what do they want me to do? Pretend that I'm about to oppress the students and then stop myself from doing so?

It just strikes me as a bunch of hooey. I'm looking for some assistance so I can please the interviewer and move on to actually teaching students something useful.
think about the bolded that YOU have put together

and...

perhaps they know what issues are problems in their school or school system better than you do

Old 12-06-2023, 01:45 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Anti-oppression means you are supposed to be really really nice to the student no matter how poorly they are performing or how little effort they are expending.

Welcome to the new and continuously failing public school system.

Old 12-06-2023, 01:59 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Anti-oppression means you are supposed to be really really nice to the student no matter how poorly they are performing or how little effort they are expending.

Welcome to the new and continuously failing public school system.
It sounds like you didn't read the very informative link Rabbit provided in his post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.