Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 11:28 PM

10,293 posts, read 10,535,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
I graduated High School in 1973 in NYC.
Dress Code for girls - dresses/skirts (not too short), stockings, low heeled shoes (no sandels)
Dress Code for boys - collared shirts, slacks, loafers (no sneakers)

Today's High Schoolers wear jeans, sweatpants, sweatshirts, crocs, flip flops, sneakers, flannel pajama pants, tee shirts, backpacks. All are on their cell phones.
I also graduated HS in 1973. I remember the day in U think 1971 when most of the girls were going to stage a protest and wear jeans. They had to wear a dress or skirt. At the end of the day, the principal made an announcement that girls were no allowed to wear pantsuits to school. They wore jeans the next day and nothing was said. Boys could wear anything except shorts. I was subbing at a HS the other day and saw a girl wearing a sports bra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 12:08 AM

23,514 posts, read 13,740,491 times
Two things about wearing cowboy boots. First, your socks don't need to match.

Secondly, a western store we use to have around here use to have a great selection and....3 pairs for $180. For me, I got a lot of my boots that way but think about it, of what a great deal that could be for a Dad, to outfit his family, a good portion of them, at that price.

If the school is issuing the outfit, like a JROTC unit, it's one thing.....but if they are expecting the parents to foot the bill, is quite another.

Old 12-09-2023, 03:38 AM

17,497 posts, read 17,366,182 times
I graduated in 87. Boys and girls could wear pants (slacks, khakis, or jeans). If girls wore skirts there were limitations on how short they were (distance from knees). Because students and parents ignored the dress code for so long and had gotten so bad they implemented school uniforms for elementary and middle school (khaki pants and polo type shirt). High school is still insane on clothing and fashion but so,e faculty seem scared to call them out on the violations since the worst violators and their parents can be the most violent.

Old 12-09-2023, 07:23 AM

12,643 posts, read 8,862,933 times
When I was in school boy and girls could wear pants/jeans and girls could wear skirts. Shorts weren't allowed except during PE. No hats in doors. Most kids had holes and patches by the end of the year from simple wear. Sneakers were fine, usually Converse or Keds back then. A lot of girls chose skirts and leather shoes for style. Our town was a bit behind so there was a short period of poodle skirts even though they'd been out of style for about 15 years.

There was a length limit on skirts, though it didn't seem to apply to cheerleader uniforms. Besides the classic mini skirt, they had a shorts uniform that was short even by Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader standards.

Even in my kid's school in the 2010's cheerleader and girls volleyball uniforms were so short that any other girl wearing it in school would have been sent home to change.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:08 AM

8,815 posts, read 15,251,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But what is your point?
I’m wondering the same thing.

Nandorrei,
Do you think t-shirts, sneakers, sweatpants, jeans, crocs, etc are a problem? Backpacks?

The cell phones can be a distraction, I get that, but I’m not sure what that has to do with the dress code.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:07 AM

15,172 posts, read 7,220,837 times
I remember when I was in junior high school in 7th grade in 1970 when they announced that girls could wear pants to school instead of dresses. That was a big deal, especially in Winter. The downside for us boys was 7th grade was when girls started exchanging their high socks for stockings and wearing more fashionable shoes, while some of them wore dresses that exposed some amount of cleavage.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:18 AM

12,643 posts, read 8,862,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

Nandorrei,
Do you think t-shirts, sneakers, sweatpants, jeans, crocs, etc are a problem? Backpacks?

The cell phones can be a distraction, I get that, but I’m not sure what that has to do with the dress code.
Kind of a funny but at the same time sad story related to backpacks. When my oldest was in elementary, around 2nd or 3rd grade, the school announced that only rolling bags/backpack were acceptable. Those were quite expensive at the time and there was much complaining among parents at the excessive cost. Followed the very next year by a rule that NO rolling bags/backpacks were permitted. Meaning that money just spent was going to waste and parents would have to spend more money again on regular backpacks.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:44 AM

50,290 posts, read 23,893,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post

Nandorrei,

I remember one day one of our teachers bringing a girl up to the office (this was around 2002) and saying she was violating out "short shorts/skirts rule" because the girl didn't pass the fingertip rule (if the shorts or skirt was shorter than the student's fingertips held at their side, it was supposedly too short). I reminded the teacher that we had no such rule, and that such a rule wouldn't be very practical since some people have long arms, others (like me) relatively short arms.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:46 AM

50,290 posts, read 23,893,601 times
"Reasonable dress" -- whatever that means -- is reasonable. But I used to worry that my faculty was more worried about dress and gum chewing than they were about who wasn't learning.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:39 PM

10,263 posts, read 13,778,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
I graduated High School in 1973 in NYC.
Dress Code for girls - dresses/skirts (not too short), stockings, low heeled shoes (no sandels)
Dress Code for boys - collared shirts, slacks, loafers (no sneakers)

Today's High Schoolers wear jeans, sweatpants, sweatshirts, crocs, flip flops, sneakers, flannel pajama pants, tee shirts, backpacks. All are on their cell phones.
Gas was also under a dollar a gallon, groceries were cheaper, and cell phones weren't around. What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education