Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2023, 02:31 AM
 
18,579 posts, read 10,526,477 times
Reputation: 8600

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
I graduated High School in 1973 in NYC.
Dress Code for girls - dresses/skirts (not too short), stockings, low heeled shoes (no sandels)
Dress Code for boys - collared shirts, slacks, loafers (no sneakers)

Today's High Schoolers wear jeans, sweatpants, sweatshirts, crocs, flip flops, sneakers, flannel pajama pants, tee shirts, backpacks. All are on their cell phones.
I graduated in 73 and this was our dress code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2023, 04:30 AM
 
Location: My beloved Bluegrass
20,103 posts, read 16,048,792 times
Reputation: 28275
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As a non-smoker teacher who was required occasionally to supervise the student smoking area at one high school, I remember those days well...and HATED it.
We had such a spot at a jr high I taught at (yes, middle school age with a one year shift) and fortunately only smokers ended up having duty there. It was coveted duty for the smokers because they got to smoke themselves while doing it.
__________________
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.Moderator - Diabetes and Kentucky (including Lexington & Louisville)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2023, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,308 posts, read 23,909,290 times
Reputation: 32622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We had such a spot at a jr high I taught at (yes, middle school age with a one year shift) and fortunately only smokers ended up having duty there. It was coveted duty for the smokers because they got to smoke themselves while doing it.
LOL...surprised they did it at middle school! Actually, that was a good plan! Looking back at the various duties I had as a teacher, I think that was the only one that I truly resented. Everything else, even crowd control at football games (and I hate football) just seemed like part of the territory of being a "school person".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2023, 02:26 PM
 
858 posts, read 408,377 times
Reputation: 2085
We didn't have, or need, dress codes. High schoolers either know what to wear and what not to, or don't care and will wear whatever they wish.

We did have a haircut code for male high schoolers. My friend and I liked our hair long (it was the 60's) and refused to buckle under to The Man. Every day we cut 1/4" off our hair, reported to the hair czar, and were sent packing. This went on for almost 3 weeks. While we were out of school we played tennis and got quite good at it. Finally we cleared the school's hair limit and reported for duty oops, I mean school.

People's hair and dress is no one else's business. This whole thing gave me a rebellious attitude towards authority that has served me well for 72 years. The minute you let strangers push you around and dictate their ideas to you is the moment you lose your freedom. If you ain't putting food on my table, a roof over my head or keeping me warm in bed at night, then what I do is none of your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2023, 04:29 PM
 
21,738 posts, read 9,300,452 times
Reputation: 19187
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I also had a smoking section - for students - I my high school. Just because something was a certain way back then, doesn't mean it was a good thing.

And if you graduated in 1973, I'm going to guess you haven't spent a lot of time in a high school lately. As the parent of a college freshman and a high school junior, I have. And I can tell you, the kids are alright.
I am a parent of a high schooler and one that just graduated. I can't believe some of the thing I see them wearing. Some of it is as revealing as what I used to see driving around Hollywood and Vine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2023, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Ohio
24,623 posts, read 19,066,222 times
Reputation: 21733
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Nearly all kids wear school uniforms in most of Australia. What is interesting is that there seems to be less opposition to this than when I was at high school decades ago. It never seems to be a topic of conversation these days. The public school uniforms tend to be quite casual and most private schools more formal.
They could do that in the US.

I'm trying to think of the Supreme Court case they could use.

Anyway, what the Supreme Court said is that if you have a unique mission there's a different level of scrutiny because to effectively carry out that unique mission requires good order, discipline and morale.

The public school system does have a unique mission, which is to socialize and educate children to function in society and to do that effective it does require good order, discipline and morale.

Never mind that public schools consistently fail in their mission because you need good order, discipline and morale regardless.

Detractors claim it stifles individuality but that's incredibly myopic and something I'd expect a worm to come up with.

If the purpose of a school was to have a daily fashion show, then, yes, that would stifle individuality but that is not the purpose and function of schools.

Students can express their individuality through their essays, the books/plays/poems they choose to read, the instruments they choose to play in band, all other curricular activities, all extra-curricular activities and so forth.

There's a couple of longitudinal studies that show students in both public and private schools that wear uniforms from grades 1-12 have less bullying going on.

That's only natural because all you see is a uniform and you cannot tell someone's socio-economic class or religion or quite a few other things just from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2023, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,308 posts, read 23,909,290 times
Reputation: 32622
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
We didn't have, or need, dress codes. High schoolers either know what to wear and what not to, or don't care and will wear whatever they wish.

We did have a haircut code for male high schoolers. My friend and I liked our hair long (it was the 60's) and refused to buckle under to The Man. Every day we cut 1/4" off our hair, reported to the hair czar, and were sent packing. This went on for almost 3 weeks. While we were out of school we played tennis and got quite good at it. Finally we cleared the school's hair limit and reported for duty oops, I mean school.

People's hair and dress is no one else's business. This whole thing gave me a rebellious attitude towards authority that has served me well for 72 years. The minute you let strangers push you around and dictate their ideas to you is the moment you lose your freedom. If you ain't putting food on my table, a roof over my head or keeping me warm in bed at night, then what I do is none of your business.
I don't agree with the bolded...except when you're in that house with that roof over your head. Once you get out into other environments, a reasonable dress code is valid. Note the word "reasonable", which follows one court decision I'm aware of, that we had to go by in our district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2023, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
12,696 posts, read 9,206,510 times
Reputation: 8776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We had such a spot at a jr high I taught at (yes, middle school age with a one year shift) and fortunately only smokers ended up having duty there. It was coveted duty for the smokers because they got to smoke themselves while doing it.
I'd forgotten about it, but my high school also had a smoking area. This was well before restaurants had smoking areas (it was allowed all over), and now they don't allow smoking at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2023, 06:25 PM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,295 posts, read 10,541,667 times
Reputation: 12598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
They could do that in the US.

I'm trying to think of the Supreme Court case they could use.

Anyway, what the Supreme Court said is that if you have a unique mission there's a different level of scrutiny because to effectively carry out that unique mission requires good order, discipline and morale.

The public school system does have a unique mission, which is to socialize and educate children to function in society and to do that effective it does require good order, discipline and morale.

Never mind that public schools consistently fail in their mission because you need good order, discipline and morale regardless.

Detractors claim it stifles individuality but that's incredibly myopic and something I'd expect a worm to come up with.

If the purpose of a school was to have a daily fashion show, then, yes, that would stifle individuality but that is not the purpose and function of schools.

Students can express their individuality through their essays, the books/plays/poems they choose to read, the instruments they choose to play in band, all other curricular activities, all extra-curricular activities and so forth.

There's a couple of longitudinal studies that show students in both public and private schools that wear uniforms from grades 1-12 have less bullying going on.

That's only natural because all you see is a uniform and you cannot tell someone's socio-economic class or religion or quite a few other things just from that.
I agree with this response and especially the sentence I bolded dealing with bullying. I think students would be much better off with uniforms for this reason and also for most students it would be a less expensive option. I sub at one school that has a program where people can donate clothes and they are made available to students and other people in the community. I donated my daughter's prom dresses before their prom last year. One of the dresses had never been worn, it had the price tag still on it. (I didn't ask my wife and daughters the story behind that.)

Last week I had a girl ask to go to the room where they keep the clothes. She needed a top. From what I could understand, the one she was wearing came from this room and she wanted to exchange it. It surprised me that she was open about this. The point is the district or donors could help subsidize the cost of a standard uniform for students. They could pick khaki or navy blue pants and polo type shirts in 2-3 colors. I feel bad for some of the kids I see because it looks like they are wearing clothes from Goodwill or the Salvation Army, or hand me downs from relatives. This standard uniform would also eliminate the issue with dress code issues with clothes that are too tight, see through, or low cut. I've noticed one boy who wears a pair of gym shorts that looks like a boy's bathing suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2023, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Sydney Australia
2,195 posts, read 1,439,036 times
Reputation: 4532
This public selective high school topped the state in end of high school exams for 27 straight years, beaten this year by an all boys public selective.
The uniform does cater for those who are Muslim (unlike in France)
https://jamesruse-h.schools.nsw.gov.au/

This primary (elementary ) school is in one the most disadvantaged areas of Sydney. You see they do not have matching shoes, unlike many private schools.

https://mtdruitt-p.schools.nsw.gov.au/

Most people see uniforms as more practical, avoiding a morning battle about what to wear. More egalitarian, aiming to minimise competition about the cost of clothing. Schools see it as a way to develop pride in the school. Generally cheaper and even some expensive private schools have second hand uniform shops. Public schools provide uniforms to those who need them free of charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top