Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 02:55 PM

10,106 posts, read 1,023,841 times

Advertisements

I graduated High School in 1973 in NYC.
Dress Code for girls - dresses/skirts (not too short), stockings, low heeled shoes (no sandels)
Dress Code for boys - collared shirts, slacks, loafers (no sneakers)

Today's High Schoolers wear jeans, sweatpants, sweatshirts, crocs, flip flops, sneakers, flannel pajama pants, tee shirts, backpacks. All are on their cell phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 02:57 PM

45 posts, read 34,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
Dress Code for girls - dresses/skirts (not too short), stockings, low heeled shoes (no sandels)

Today's High Schoolers wear jeans, sweatpants, sweatshirts, crocs, flip flops, sneakers, flannel pajama pants, tee shirts, backpacks. All are on their cell phones.
Private or public? My children could roll out of bed and go to school. The 'style' is much more lax. Which is fine with me.....Less money I'm paying for clothes! LOL

Old 12-08-2023, 03:00 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
I graduated in 75. I'm female. Even in Junior high, we were allowed to wear slacks, jeans and shorts.

Old 12-08-2023, 03:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I passed by the Catholic High School near us as they were getting out yesterday. They wear uniforms Mondays-Thursdays, and I was amazed at how short some of the girls skirts were. I looked it up on their website:

Uniform bottoms include several styles of khaki and navy-blue pants, shorts, skirts and skorts.
• Any combination of orange or navy uniform shirt and khaki or navy uniform bottoms are permitted.
• Uniform shorts, skorts and skirts should fall mid-thigh or longer.

When I was in school a skirt at mid-thigh would get a girl sent home. Times change.

Old 12-08-2023, 03:35 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:

I'm the same age as you. I wore jeans and T shirts. Girls couldn't wear pants until about 1970.

Old 12-08-2023, 03:42 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I graduated in 75. I'm female. Even in Junior high, we were allowed to wear slacks, jeans and shorts.
Might depend on your part of the country, but 10 years before that the girls had to wear dresses/skirts (don't know about hosiery), and they were subject to being checked for being too short. I think the criterion was that if the girl kneeled, the hem had to touch the surface she was kneeling on. No shorts or pants for girls.

Boys generally wore jeans or slacks with button-up shirts or golf shirts, and regular leather shoes.

By the time I got to college, it wasn't much different except skirt lengths had shortened considerably - must not been an upper limit. Girls had to wear skirts or dresses, but could wear pants on the weekends. They also had to sign in and out of their dorms and had to be in by 10 on weekdays, and I think midnight on the weekends, unless there was some sort of special even like an out of town ballgame.

The guys typically wore slacks and button-up shirts, but as far as I know they could have worn jeans if they wanted to but it just wasn't fashionable then.

Kids and college students generally did their best on appearance, in contrast to many nowadays.

Old 12-08-2023, 03:45 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I passed by the Catholic High School near us as they were getting out yesterday. They wear uniforms Mondays-Thursdays, and I was amazed at how short some of the girls skirts were. I looked it up on their website:

Uniform bottoms include several styles of khaki and navy-blue pants, shorts, skirts and skorts.
• Any combination of orange or navy uniform shirt and khaki or navy uniform bottoms are permitted.
• Uniform shorts, skorts and skirts should fall mid-thigh or longer.

When I was in school a skirt at mid-thigh would get a girl sent home. Times change.
True, but it probably wouldn't have been an issue then until the administration made it an issue. Everybody wants to break rules.

Old 12-08-2023, 04:02 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
That's interesting. Was that in a public school in a poor or working class area?

In 1970 some middle-class 6th grade girls at my public elementary school in NJ within sight of NYC held an organized rebellion with their Moms against the dress code requiring skirts/dresses for girls. The principal relented after he sent the girls home and they returned with their PTA mover-shaker Moms.

I am sure I wore sneakers every day to public school as soon as I was old enough to complain about wearing "shoes" to school, probably 4th grade at the latest. We boys would give each other "flat tires" for fun. LOL I just realized how cheaply made they must have been, back then.

Old 12-08-2023, 05:55 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,959,249 times
I went to private school and we were required to wear uniforms, but we rolled up our skirts and rolled them down for length checks. lol
We were also required to wear a bra… the nuns would run a finger down your back to check for a bra when we entered home room each morning. (I graduated HS in 2007)

Old 12-08-2023, 08:08 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:

But what is your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education