Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 06:22 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, after 33 years of teaching and administering, I think you're extremely naïve.
It's natural to think that kids learn from the mistakes of others, or at the very least, from their own mistakes. Unfortunately, there are some who seem impervious to obvious lessons.

I have a story that I told in class when there was a series of students who just had to hit the ejection seat button and do things that required me to send them out. One boy just never seemed to learn, all year long. So I told him the story of the ducks.
My mother was working at a local municipal garden where visitors could buy food for the ducks. The ducks were conditioned to the point that any time people approached the edge of the pond, they would swarm up looking to get fed.

At one point, there were too many ducks for the garden to support, so this being Mississippi, a guy from the city crew was charged with shooting the ducks in order to cull the flock. So on the day that they went to the garden and approached the pond, the ducks swarmed up because they thought that they were going to be fed. A guy shot one of the ducks, it fell down dead, and the other ducks flew up and landed back in the pond. The guy picked up the duck and laid it on the bank.

The ducks saw the guy on the bank, and they all swarmed up because they thought they were going to get fed. Another duck was shot and laid to rest with the other, the rest of the ducks flew up and landed and came back to the bank because they thought they were going to get fed.

They did this every time the guy shot a duck, and they never learned from the ducks who had been shot.
When I told the story, the boy in question laughed and said that it was a funny story. I looked at him and asked, "Who's going to be the next duck?" Everyone in the room seemed to know I was talking about him except him.

Skip forward a week to the end of the school year, when he didn't pass his sixth attempt at a graduation test. His parents withdrew him and enrolled him in a local academy where he bought his diploma the following week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 06:27 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
It's natural to think that kids learn from the mistakes of others, or at the very least, from their own mistakes. Unfortunately, there are some who seem impervious to obvious lessons.

I have a story that I told in class when there was a series of students who just had to hit the ejection seat button and do things that required me to send them out. One boy just never seemed to learn, all year long. So I told him the story of the ducks.
My mother was working at a local municipal garden where visitors could buy food for the ducks. The ducks were conditioned to the point that any time people approached the edge of the pond, they would swarm up looking to get fed.

At one point, there were too many ducks for the garden to support, so this being Mississippi, a guy from the city crew was charged with shooting the ducks in order to cull the flock. So on the day that they went to the garden and approached the pond, the ducks swarmed up because they thought that they were going to be fed. A guy shot one of the ducks, it fell down dead, and the other ducks flew up and landed back in the pond. The guy picked up the duck and laid it on the bank.

The ducks saw the guy on the bank, and they all swarmed up because they thought they were going to get fed. Another duck was shot and laid to rest with the other, the rest of the ducks flew up and landed and came back to the bank because they thought they were going to get fed.

They did this every time the guy shot a duck, and they never learned from the ducks who had been shot.
When I told the story, the boy in question laughed and said that it was a funny story. I looked at him and asked, "Who's going to be the next duck?" Everyone in the room seemed to know I was talking about him except him.

Skip forward a week to the end of the school year, when he didn't pass his sixth attempt at a graduation test. His parents withdrew him and enrolled him in a local academy where he bought his diploma the following week.
I think our other poster is naïve to even think that adults always learn appropriate lessons. It's why over 1.2 million Americans are currently in prison.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:56 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Do you people really think kids are stupid enough to keep doing it if they see consequences actually happen? I don't. They'll follow the simple rules when they see they won't get away with it.
You don't know many middle and high school students, do you?

Old 12-29-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You don't know many middle and high school students, do you?
He or she may be one of those parents who have had a handful of teens at their house and are unaware how different that is than having 1,000-3,000 students together. You know...the kind of parent who says, "My child would never do that"...even when it's on video.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:09 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
He or she may be one of those parents who have had a handful of teens at their house and are unaware how different that is than having 1,000-3,000 students together. You know...the kind of parent who says, "My child would never do that"...even when it's on video.
Followed by "who gave you permission to take video of my child?".

Old 12-29-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Followed by "who gave you permission to take video of my child?".
Even better was, "The knife must have been planted on him".

Or better yet, "He didn't know the gun was in his pocket!"

Old 12-30-2023, 05:26 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Quote:

My last in this thread... You people that simply accept the poor behavior are the biggest part of the problem. There are far too many stories of educators/administrators that try to turn things around, only to be attacked by rabid parents and school board members. I'm the parent that expected my children to follow rules, and when they didn't they paid the consequences. Even when they were consequences I might not have agreed with.

Perhaps I'm 'naive' to think that played a part in them all growing up into productive members of society... but I don't think so.

Old 12-30-2023, 06:00 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
My last in this thread... You people that simply accept the poor behavior are the biggest part of the problem. There are far too many stories of educators/administrators that try to turn things around, only to be attacked by rabid parents and school board members. I'm the parent that expected my children to follow rules, and when they didn't they paid the consequences. Even when they were consequences I might not have agreed with.

Perhaps I'm 'naive' to think that played a part in them all growing up into productive members of society... but I don't think so.
For every one of you there are six of the other.

Old 12-30-2023, 06:28 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For every one of you there are six of the other.
And therein lies the problem.

Old 12-30-2023, 06:36 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just one more thing for teachers to keep track of and manage multiple times per day times 30+. Best case scenario will be five minutes at the front end of class and five minutes at the back end. That doesn't count the kid(s) who will **** around getting out their phone, trying to pass a burner off as the main and argue about how their Mama told them to not turn the phone in.
It doesn't matter. Something has to give. Kids are so addicted to their phones that some of them get violent when they are removed. My kids KNOW they don't get their phones at school and they know why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education