Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2024, 02:59 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,663,834 times

Advertisements

Guardian Summary:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...aper-vs-screen

Full Text of Study:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1....553693v1.full

I've always felt that reading from screens was less enjoyable than reading from paper. I guess now I see why. I don't think this study should preclude using technology in the classroom, but it seems clear that educational texts and study of literature should be from printed and not electronic materials.

I do think that math and physics demonstrations and instruction might be better on screens, as some of the concepts require demonstrations of motion or visual examples of how to rearrange problems. Math exercises and tests, however, ought to stay on printed paper (and students should be provided with paper on which to do calculations).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 03:40 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,446,104 times
My grandkids attend a private school in Sydney called Reddam House, and the last couple of years it has been the highest ranking independent and non-selective school in the state end of high school public exams.

One grandkid is starting high school next week (but has also been there since kindy) I find it really interesting, as a retired teacher, how traditional their methods are. A lot of use of pencil and paper, weekly tests in various areas, reports issued with ranks and marks.

Grandchild was proudly showing me his collection of new textbooks for high school. Heavy and expensive but apparently the students’ have voted to use books over devices at some stages.

They, of course, do use devices too. But there is a total ban on the use of phones while at school (which also been introduced in the public system more recently)

As I explained to my doubting husband, it is quicker to tell a class to open a book at page 17 than to tell them to log in to a particular activity on their iPad. The younger they are, the more time is wasted while they hit the wrong icon, etc etc.

We actually still read a lot of paper books in our country. The price of ebooks is often similar and they cannot be passed around to friends or left at a book exchange.

Old 01-23-2024, 03:42 PM

42,245 posts, read 17,601,031 times
There's differences in screens.

laptop screens are not the same as e-reader screens like Kindle.
Those screens were made for reading and your eyes, not laptops.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:14 PM

5,349 posts, read 7,628,135 times
The devil is REALLY in the details here. The study is specifically about reading as opposed to instruction. Which is suspect is worse. In my science classes I try to tread down the middle. I use online resources as references but students do all of their graded work on paper. But I also don't assign long readings, certainly nothing book length or even chapter length as one might do in English or History classes.

For a given subject like cells which we are currently covering. I will give the students a bound and printed packet of material that is all the paper assignments for the unit. Labs, worksheets, lecture notes, diagrams, reviews, etc. All neatly bundled in a spiral-bound printed workbook that our district print shop produces.

As they work through the unit, some of the material is lectures (PowerPoints, class discussions, short videos, etc.) that they take notes on and answer questions in their workbooks. Some is short reading assignments that I post online (articles, web sites, etc.) some is textbook reading which they can do using the class set of paper textbooks in the classroom or online through the textbook publisher's web site which is mostly locked-down pdfs that they can scroll through but can't copy or print. And some of it is lab reports and problems where they do actual labs in class and then record their results, make graphs, etc. in the lab books.

I find this works the best because students seem to retain material better that they put down on pencil and paper. And it is easier to grade paper backets than online submissions. About half the students use the paper textbooks and about half use the identical online versions on their chromebooks. The online version is slightly easier because you can word search or click on vocabulary words and get definitions which you can't do in an old fashioned textbook. You have to page back to the glossary.

What I very much dislike is actual online learning programs where students do problem sets online. These are excruciatingly frustrating in chemistry and physics because one tiny error like incorrect units or sig figs can count an answer as wrong and the students don't know what it is they did wrong. I despise most online learning where the material is online but also the responses and problem solving.

If you want to do everything on paper it is extremely limiting or you have to print up huge reading packets of copyrighted material. Which is what colleges used to do but is difficult at the HS level since you can't charge kids for printing packets like print shops can do for college classes. Or you are stuck with JUST using the textbooks which is equally limiting.

Here are some examples of assignments I use from one web site where the content is free and online but then all the questions and analysis that the students do is on printed paper worksheets. The earthviewer and biomeviewer sites (first two links) are far more sophisticated and interactive than anything you could ever put into a paper textook.

https://www.biointeractive.org/class...es/earthviewer
https://www.biointeractive.org/class...es/biomeviewer
https://www.biointeractive.org/class...cle-and-cancer

Last edited by texasdiver; 01-23-2024 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education