Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 04:44 PM

268 posts, read 56,291 times

Advertisements

Ahhh... That makes sense. But only for the Northern Hemisphere. Are you an American? Because Pitt doesn't seem to have heard it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
not at all common!
Are you hearing that in Argentina? because it is not heard here in the US.
Pitt... in Argentina, only Spanish is heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 04:49 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Yes, "it went sour" and "it went south" is not a confusion of "south" and "sour." It's just that these two phrases happen to mean roughly the same thing. "South" is perceived as being "down," the way it is shown on a standard map or globe.

I'm a very good speller, but I have become more tolerant of others' spelling mistakes over time. English is, frankly, horrible to spell, and some people no matter how hard they try are still going to make errors or be unsure if what they have written is correct or not.

It's actually a little easier for non-native English speakers because they tend to encounter the written language first, or at the same time as the spoken language. "Their," "there" and "they're" all look different, so if you first learn these words in written form in a classroom, they are clearly different and have different meanings.

But native speakers learn these words as nonliterate toddlers and they do all sound the same. Then we have to learn at age 5 or 6 to map three different spellings to this same sound and differentiate their meanings. It's not THAT hard, but some people are careless and others are just genuinely poor spellers.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:20 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,576 times
It's fairly common to see "gun site" instead of "gun sight".

Old 01-26-2024, 05:22 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
"Insure" vs. "assure" are two other words often used incorrectly.

Ditto for "apprise" and "appraise".

And, in writing, "marshall law" instead of 'martial law'.

I am quite sure there are many other words are are often incorrectly exchanged for each other.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:25 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
"Insure" vs. "assure" are two other words often used incorrectly.
You can add "ensure" to those.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:03 PM

323 posts, read 135,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
In my opinion, both words have very different meanings.
Sour: bitter
South: is just a cardinal point (south; north, east, west).
I understand that "sour" can also be used figuratively: John thought that Sean had betrayed him and their relationship went sour

But saying "south" instead of "sour" sounds like a mistake to me.
Obviously, I'm not a native English speaker. So you can instruct me on that.
Confusing sour and south doesn't happen. Mistaking -r for -th and vice versa isn't a thing. Or, if it is, it's a vanishingly rare one.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:04 PM

12,957 posts, read 9,467,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Affect-> Act on.

Effect -> the End result.
Effect can also be used as a verb. For instance, "His actions could affect changes to the outcome". When used as a verb, it means "to cause/influence something to happen".

However, as you say, 'effect' and 'affect' are often misused, perhaps by someone thinking they are interchangeable.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Haven't heard of south/sour either. A couple of the others seem like typos or autocorrect issues. Autocorrect causes a lot of issues, some of them hilarious. Affect/effect however I've actually seen people at work get into arguments over.

I don't understand how people keep making the "would of" for "would've." It's such a common error that even when I was a kid, the English textbooks pointed it out specifically.

The one that I see a lot today is leaving out the verb "to be." As in "the clothes needs washed" instead of "the clothes need to be washed."

Because they never paid attention in English class.

Pronouncing "would've" sounds like "would-uv", which the misuser interprets as "of". But that's still no excuse.

I once saw someone type "pre-madonna" for "prima donna".

Old 01-26-2024, 06:12 PM

Another one is using "advise" for "advice", e.g., "I need some advise ...."

Old 01-26-2024, 06:27 PM

2,040 posts, read 986,706 times
Modern English is sorely overdue for a makeover and simplification. China and Germany have revised their language standards, I think we should be next.

It has to be so frustrating to learn English as a non-native speaker, not to mention trying to teach ESL students. So many inconsistencies and odd pronunciations.

I've always struggled with lie/lay/laid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education