Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2024, 01:21 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
We discovered it worse than that when our oldest hit that age. We asked about signing her up for shop and Home Ec and were told it was a permanent decision -- if she took a single shop or home ec class, then she would not be permitted to take any AP or college prep courses. And if she took any college prep courses, then could not take shop or home ec. Then they closed those departments for lack of participation. Things that make you go HMMM?So true.
That doesn't remotely reflect my experience with any school that I have been associated with as an employee or parent in at least a dozen different school districts across four states.

In fact, I have been around education for several decades and I have never even heard of such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2024, 01:23 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It is one thing to have some understanding of financial issues. It takes some research to be able to teach all aspects of financial literacy such as IRAs, Roth IRAs, health, vehicle, and homeowners insurance, credit scores, buying a house, etc.
But all those got included with the Math curriculum under Common Core.

Financial literacy....

IMHO they introduced complex financial issues at too early an age.

Whoever puts these curriculums together must think we have a nation of geniuses in the classrooms.

Here's CA's Math curriculum with the financial literacy part (last column $Jumpstart)

Why would a 7th grader need to be knowledgeable about "investment alternatives" ?
Why is anyone teaching that to a 12 year old ?

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/docu...wappendixa.pdf

Old 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
That doesn't remotely reflect my experience with any school that I have been associated with as an employee or parent in at least a dozen different school districts across four states.

In fact, I have been around education for several decades and I have never even heard of such a thing.
I think that, maybe, in some school systems that have a form of "silent tracking" that the students' schedules are so crowded that if they get off track the academic graduation requirements can't be met.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:10 PM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:

I agree.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:03 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Is this 1962 California high school doing gym class or PE?

https://youtu.be/NGa6BPj3Mcw?si=oiWQVI6WH3w9IBlD
Boys today would never take gym class without a shirt on. There is no such thing as "shirts and skins" today. I have no idea why.

Today there would also be a substantial number of boys sitting out this gym class with a doctor's or parent's excuse that they had some kind of medical condition that didn't allow them to participate in the class. Also, on the pushups, half the boys today would be flat on their bellies after the second pushup. I know because I have taught PE many times and it is a joke to try to get boys to do pushups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But most of us need to understand all of those aspects in order to stay afloat financially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But all those got included with the Math curriculum under Common Core.

Financial literacy....

IMHO they introduced complex financial issues at too early an age.

Whoever puts these curriculums together must think we have a nation of geniuses in the classrooms.

Here's CA's Math curriculum with the financial literacy part (last column $Jumpstart)

Why would a 7th grader need to be knowledgeable about "investment alternatives" ?
Why is anyone teaching that to a 12 year old ?

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/docu...wappendixa.pdf
There was an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about a local high school athlete. The article followed him throughout a typical day including his HS classes. It mentioned that the classes he is taking as a senior are: college psychology, American government, pre-calculus, Spanish, English and financial math. I guess financial math is the same as financial literacy.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:08 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Boys today would never take gym class without a shirt on. There is no such thing as "shirts and skins" today. I have no idea why.

Today there would also be a substantial number of boys sitting out this gym class with a doctor's or parent's excuse that they had some kind of medical condition that didn't allow them to participate in the class. Also, on the pushups, half the boys today would be flat on their bellies after the second pushup. I know because I have taught PE many times and it is a joke to try to get boys to do pushups.

There was an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about a local high school athlete. The article followed him throughout a typical day including his HS classes. It mentioned that the classes he is taking as a senior are: college psychology, American government, pre-calculus, Spanish, English and financial math. I guess financial math is the same as financial literacy.
Where I was it was homophobia. They also won't take showers after PE or even after games. You haven't lived until you take a 2 hour bus trip after a football or basketball game where the players are covered in mud, blood, and Axe body spray.

Can't be, it's a different name.

Old 02-09-2024, 04:49 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
-High schools not offering many classes on the trades, driver's ed, or ANY skills on money management
-No classes on impulse control, self-discipline, conflict resolution, etc.
-University not offering job training or white-collar apprenticeships, forcing graduates into the catch-22 involving jobs and job experience (I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about).

Why?

Serious question.
Once you understand the school system isn't designed to create productive citizens, it all makes sense.

The people with power and influence want a dumbed down populace who lack any kind of practical knowledge or self control because it's easier to control people that way.

Old 02-09-2024, 05:04 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Once you understand the school system isn't designed to create productive citizens, it all makes sense.

The people with power and influence want a dumbed down populace who lack any kind of practical knowledge or self control because it's easier to control people that way.
What a difference 60 years makes....

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource."
JFK

Old 02-09-2024, 05:58 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think that, maybe, in some school systems that have a form of "silent tracking" that the students' schedules are so crowded that if they get off track the academic graduation requirements can't be met.
That could be it. For both my kids, their schedules were so crowded they both had to take their foreign language requirement over the summer and at night.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:16 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

A statement that is beyond ridiculous. I had three advanced placement classes in high school that enabled me to earn 24 semester hours of college credit before I even set foot in the University. My son who earned in his degree in accounting and works a good job at a good salary for an accounting firm earned so many college credits in high school I couldn't keep track of them.

The problem is if you take a cross section of the population, the top 10% in skills and intelligence are likely to be the ones who reach the top 10% of high income earners. Schools can help bring talents out. I'm not convinced they make students more intelligent than they already are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education