Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2024, 02:26 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Not only are they NOT paid.

They are charged college tuition by their college for the privilege of student teaching.

Double whammy.
I did that in private industry as well in college.

It was called cooperative education. I got a job for a semester through school and had to pay credits for it.
OJT is not unique to education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 02:30 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I did that in private industry as well in college.

It was called cooperative education. I got a job for a semester through school and had to pay credits for it.
OJT is not unique to education.
It isn't, or wasn't. Apparently from what we've heard here unpaid internships don't much exist now. We had unpaid interns at the glass plant where I worked but that was over forty years ago (now that I think about it it's damned near fifty years. ****.)

Old 02-11-2024, 04:44 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,059,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Teaching "Life" is supposed to be the parent's responsibility. Except most parents these days can't seem to figure things out for themselves. I'm sure there are exceptions but what I see on the news are mostly failures.
We already expect to much from schools.

By the time people have kids in high school they could have taught them basic housekeeping chores. Before we allowed our kids to have the car, they had to know how to change the oil and change a tire and basically what makes a car run.

Money management starts with allowances. We didn’t pay our kids for doing household chores. We all lived in the house and had a duty to each other to keep it clean. No pay for grades either. So they got jobs. Babysitting etc.

I learned a tad about replacing a toilet wax ring when I flushed a diaper down the toilet and paying a plumber was not in the budget that week. Some things can be figured out. Especially with all the how to DIY on you tube.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:25 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We already expect to much from schools.

By the time people have kids in high school they could have taught them basic housekeeping chores. Before we allowed our kids to have the car, they had to know how to change the oil and change a tire and basically what makes a car run.

Money management starts with allowances. We didn’t pay our kids for doing household chores. We all lived in the house and had a duty to each other to keep it clean. No pay for grades either. So they got jobs. Babysitting etc.

I learned a tad about replacing a toilet wax ring when I flushed a diaper down the toilet and paying a plumber was not in the budget that week. Some things can be figured out. Especially with all the how to DIY on you tube.
I applaud your efforts to help your kids understand basic life skills.

At the same time, when I think of money management I'm thinking of things like this: Understanding how a mortgage works and how interest rates affect payments for 15/30 years; something similar with auto loans; education about income taxation which would include filling out some short forms and talking about the long form; working up a budget for a household; and balancing a checkbook. I would probably add describing a small claims court and how it works for both a plaintiff and defendant. Its a bit more than what I at least hear you describing here.

The internet is a good resource for people if they look at the right sites. However, classroom instruction in some of the things I've mentioned should be part of the curriculum.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:31 PM

523 posts, read 244,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
-High schools not offering many classes on the trades, driver's ed, or ANY skills on money management
-No classes on impulse control, self-discipline, conflict resolution, etc.
-University not offering job training or white-collar apprenticeships, forcing graduates into the catch-22 involving jobs and job experience (I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about).

Why?

Serious question.
I’m not sure where you live or if you have children in school, but have you looked at the course offerings and graduation requirements for your school district? I ask because you’re making a sweeping statement for what is a local issue… and it may not even be your local issue. For example, a parent on a local message board made a similar lament, however, all of these things are offered in our district.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:07 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And yours would have been a school Student Teachers would have wanted to be placed at if there were cooperating teachers.
Very true.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Not only are they NOT paid.

They are charged college tuition by their college for the privilege of student teaching.

Double whammy.
Yes, I mentioned that. We had to pay to work.

It was worth it...in the long run. But even "gas money" would have helped financially struggling students.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Did you not have any schools of education nearby in easy commuting distance?

All the schools I have taught at have always had lots of student teachers. But then we were right next door to Baylor when I taught in Texas and here in SW Washington we are right next to Portland State on one side and WSU-Vancouver on the other so lots of teacher candidates nearby.
Northern Virginia, just outside of D.C.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:47 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Northern Virginia, just outside of D.C.

In my 30 years teaching in that same district (now 31, but subbing), we seldom had student teachers but we did have them on occasion. There is an elementary school at which I sub that has 4 student teachers right now from BYU. From what I understand BYU has a cooperative program that places student teachers in our VA district and another in CA.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:52 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Union, teacher retirement, health insurance....it grows overnight.
Maybe not if they are classified as temporary. While not exactly the same, substitutes in our district can’t join a union, don’t pay into teacher retirement, and are only eligible for health insurance if they work an average of 30 hours a week.

Perhaps a stipend would be workable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education