Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2024, 09:01 AM

50,124 posts, read 23,785,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
In my 30 years teaching in that same district (now 31, but subbing), we seldom had student teachers but we did have them on occasion. There is an elementary school at which I sub that has 4 student teachers right now from BYU. From what I understand BYU has a cooperative program that places student teachers in our VA district and another in CA.
I wonder why we had none. I can't think of a reason...it was a plumb school. I wonder if the early, very long-term, very-conservative principal built a reputation of not wanting them, and that 'label' stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Maybe not if they are classified as temporary. While not exactly the same, substitutes in our district can’t join a union, don’t pay into teacher retirement, and are only eligible for health insurance if they work an average of 30 hours a week.

Perhaps a stipend would be workable.
I think the stipend idea is a good one.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:02 AM

21,406 posts, read 12,550,670 times
Pretty sure teaching kids about life is the parents' job.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Two points:

1. I'm not even sure what teaching kids about "life" means. And, in fact, if we spent the rest of the thread discussing what that meant, we'd probably sees a wide variance of opinions.

2. Just as with sex ed, if the parents don't do it? Who does it get left to? The schools. I never knew a teacher, or school-based administrator, or central office administrator who wanted to tackle sex ed in schools.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,552 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I have found %-wise.... Kids without parents know more about life than coddled kids. +/-

Farm kids who've nursed (and buried) a lot of their animals (and family and classmates) have a broad experience and perspective on physical life.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:14 AM

6,922 posts, read 6,979,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
We discovered it worse than that when our oldest hit that age. We asked about signing her up for shop and Home Ec and were told it was a permanent decision -- if she took a single shop or home ec class, then she would not be permitted to take any AP or college prep courses. And if she took any college prep courses, then could not take shop or home ec. Then they closed those departments for lack of participation. Things that make you go HMMM?
How strictly was that enforced? Could you get around it by, for example, claiming that you wanted to take AP, but then realized that home ec would be a better fit, or vice versa? Or was it set in stone?

Quote:
At least when I went, shop and home ec were high school courses. I think our shop focused on pretty good things. Besides the basic projects, I built several pieces of furniture including a lamp, a nightstand, and an upholstered ottoman in wood class. Also learned basic car repair (of course back then you could do basic repairs with a screwdriver and an SAE socket set, unlike today that's a mix of metric, SAE, and half a dozen types of screws and clips that all need special tools); basic electrical repairs; simple welding/metal work. Used every one of those skills sometime in life.

So true.
Sounds like your school had a good shop program. What is interesting is that if I look back at old newspaper articles or posts on Facebook from older graduates from my district, it sounds like most of the administrators were former shop teachers who were bumped upstairs when the district's shop program declined. I wonder if it declined because people were discouraged from taking it.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
That doesn't remotely reflect my experience with any school that I have been associated with as an employee or parent in at least a dozen different school districts across four states.

In fact, I have been around education for several decades and I have never even heard of such a thing.
As I keep saying, just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think that, maybe, in some school systems that have a form of "silent tracking" that the students' schedules are so crowded that if they get off track the academic graduation requirements can't be met.
It may be unintentional, since there are a finite number of periods in a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've never seen schools heavily push art and music. The people who want to take these classes usually have talent in these areas. My three children dropped band in junior high despite my wife encouraging them to continue. One of the three took art as an elective in high school because she is talented in art.
My high school pushed art and music even on students who were not good at those subjects, claiming that colleges want to see them on your transcript even if your grades are not good. I don't think that was accurate.

Quote:
Agreed. No reason for 7th graders being taught about investments.
That's another example of students being taught material too early in life, long before it's useful. That should be taught in 11th or 12th grade. Just like I keep saying about home ec and shop.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:25 AM

41,657 posts, read 17,252,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
As I keep saying, just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

It may be unintentional, since there are a finite number of periods in a day.

My high school pushed art and music even on students who were not good at those subjects, claiming that colleges want to see them on your transcript even if your grades are not good. I don't think that was accurate.

That's another example of students being taught material too early in life, long before it's useful. That should be taught in 11th or 12th grade. Just like I keep saying about home ec and shop.
That was one major observation I saw in school...pushing complex content at younger grades.
You really can't teach algebraic concepts to students still struggling to understand the concrete concepts of add, subtract, multiply, divide.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Boys today would never take gym class without a shirt on. There is no such thing as "shirts and skins" today. I have no idea why.
Are gym classes mostly coed these days? That is a likely reason why. When I was in school, we had coed gym classes in elementary school and high school, but single sex gym classes in middle school. The only time I recall playing shirts and skins was basketball in 6th grade gym.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Maybe not the average kid. But athletes? HS athletes perform at a far higher level than their counterparts in the 60s. You can see this by things like school records in running, swimming, etc. And the top HS football and basketball teams from today would absolutely CRUSH their 1960s counterparts. They would make them look silly.

Student athletes today are on a whole different level. When I taught in Texas, football was a year-round sport. Athletes would be enrolled in football as their 7th period PE class and so would get coaching and weight training year-round in a manner that neatly steps around the prohibition on after school practice before August 10 or whatever the regulations say. And it was always 7th period so that they would stay after school and keep working out. Year-round. Then they would join 7 on 7 leagues and play all summer and go to special position camps in the summer hosted by all the top NCAA D1 programs.

Soccer and baseball is equally crazy with all the elite travel teams that play year-round.

There was none of that when I played HS football back in the late 70s and early 80.
I would suspect that the elite athletes nowadays are better than ever, while the weaker students are likely worse than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education