Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2024, 10:33 AM

6,922 posts, read 6,979,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No question that HS athletes today are on a whole different level. I graduated from HS in 1973. There were three separate seasons with little overlap. Football players went from football season to basketball or wrestling. When winter sports were over, you went to track or baseball. There weren't open gyms for basketball. There was an official first day of practice and nothing happened before that day.

In the summer, the only organized options were American Legion baseball and a basketball league that played on an outdoor court. There was little emphasis on weightlifting and the only place to lift weights was if you had weights in your basement. We spent a lot of time on pickup basketball and football games, and even Wiffle ball. Soccer, ice hockey, volleyball, and lacrosse and any type of travel sports didn't exist in my town.

The world is different today. Almost every athlete is competing on an AAU/travel team in addition to their high school team. Almost every school has a weight room/fitness center that is used year round. My local HS swim team swims for the YMCA swim team before and after the HS season starting when they are 5 years old.

One of the consequences of this increased emphasis on sports training year round is the non-athletes are left out. They don't play pick-up games in the neighborhood since there are no pick-up games in the neighborhood. The result is a large number of boys who have never played sports and are very unathletic. I've noticed there are many boys who can't compete in PR class with the girls who are athletes. There may be additional reasons for this and that is the fact that many boys are growing up today without a father in the home and the fact that video games are so pervasive.
All very good points. There needs to be some way to get the weaker athletes involved in sports at a casual level. Rather than the only options being an elite level or nothing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I hear about unpaid internships but have never seen one. Every intern we've had in the professional environment has been paid. Everyone I've known who had one while I was in college got paid as well.
I think unpaid internships are more common in liberal arts fields, not STEM fields. They are, in theory, supposed to benefit the intern, not the employer. But in practice, they just have interns do things unpaid such as running copies, cleaning the bathroom, or getting coffee for the boss. But, anybody who complains will be unemployable in that field. It's basically the way to weed people out of non-STEM careers.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:18 AM

41,657 posts, read 17,252,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I think unpaid internships are more common in liberal arts fields, not STEM fields. They are, in theory, supposed to benefit the intern, not the employer. But in practice, they just have interns do things unpaid such as running copies, cleaning the bathroom, or getting coffee for the boss. But, anybody who complains will be unemployable in that field. It's basically the way to weed people out of non-STEM careers.
I worked in high tech. I was an intern myself before getting hired. And the companies had many interns.
They even go on campus to recruit interns for summer jobs.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I worked in high tech. I was an intern myself before getting hired. And the companies had many interns.
They even go on campus to recruit interns for summer jobs.
But I assume your internship was paid?

Old 02-12-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
But I assume your internship was paid?
Neither my internship with high tech nor my student teaching at a school was "paid".
In fact I had to pay to do both.

Old 02-12-2024, 12:10 PM

10,244 posts, read 10,491,670 times
Quote:
Are gym classes mostly coed these days? That is a likely reason why. When I was in school, we had coed gym classes in elementary school and high school, but single sex gym classes in middle school. The only time I recall playing shirts and skins was basketball in 6th grade gym.
Almost all PE classes are coed today. However, I coached middle school basketball and they did not want to go shirts and skins. I have also played a lot of pickup basketball over the past 50 years. It changed over that time where the younger guys didn't want to play without a shirt.

Quote:
All very good points. There needs to be some way to get the weaker athletes involved in sports at a casual level. Rather than the only options being an elite level or nothing at all.
The only way that is going to happen is through the schools.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:04 PM

41,699 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
This is the parents job. It's not the states responsibility to teach your kid how to conduct themselves.
Of course it is. It is the school's responsibility to teach life skills when the need arises. Suzy swiped Bobby's pen? Billy won't stop interrupting? Janie keeps hitting Annie? Joey vandalized the restroom? It's the teacher's job to teach these social/emotional skills in the heat of the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Plus, as you know, once you start paying someone, in this case a Student Teacher, that adds a layer of legalities for the school.
This is where stipends come in.
Quote:
But in practice, they just have interns do things unpaid such as running copies, cleaning the bathroom, or getting coffee for the boss.
And then word spreads that the company in question is abusing the interns, and the college doesn't send its students to that company any longer. I've had interns make copies for me, as well as filing, prepping for meetings, etc., but part of the internship experience is becoming acquainted with office culture. Other internships I've managed are project-based with more specific duties and outcomes, but they'll still have to run the copier.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been an intern ?
Have you ever been a student teacher ?

As an intern at a high tech I was in test dept and coding as well.
I got NOBODY coffee.

As a student teacher I was up front teaching the class.
I wasn't getting any teachers coffee.

Where are you getting these ideas from ?

Old 02-12-2024, 01:33 PM

44,878 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Have you ever been an intern ?
Have you ever been a student teacher ?

As an intern at a high tech I was in test dept and coding as well.
I got NOBODY coffee.

As a student teacher I was up front teaching the class.
I wasn't getting any teachers coffee.

Where are you getting these ideas from ?
I think he may be Civil Service.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Almost all PE classes are coed today. However, I coached middle school basketball and they did not want to go shirts and skins. I have also played a lot of pickup basketball over the past 50 years. It changed over that time where the younger guys didn't want to play without a shirt.
For some reason, as women are allowed to wear more and more revealing clothing, there is more and more of a taboo against men wearing less clothing. When I was a kid, it used to be common to see men not wearing shirts, whereas now, men wear shirts basically everywhere except the pool and the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education