Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2024, 01:07 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Have you ever been an intern ?
I was talking about unpaid interns in non-STEM fields. No, I was never an unpaid intern in a non-STEM field. I was a paid intern in a STEM field.

Quote:
Have you ever been a student teacher ?
No I have not.

Quote:
As an intern at a high tech I was in test dept and coding as well.
I got NOBODY coffee.
Again, that was in a STEM field. I was talking about unpaid interns in non-STEM fields. You had an unpaid internship in a STEM field, which I don't think is common.

Quote:
As a student teacher I was up front teaching the class.
I wasn't getting any teachers coffee.
I never made any mention of student teachers.

Quote:
Where are you getting these ideas from ?
From college classmates who were in non-STEM fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think he may be Civil Service.
No, I am not civil service. I work in the private sector. And, I am in a STEM field, but my posts about interns were about interns in non-STEM fields. And also not student teachers.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:35 PM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
No, I am not civil service. I work in the private sector. And, I am in a STEM field, but my posts about interns were about interns in non-STEM fields. And also not student teachers.
And, once again, you know this how? Not thirty years ago, which I may grant you a bit, but today.

Old 02-12-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
And, once again, you know this how? Not thirty years ago, which I may grant you a bit, but today.
Maybe things have changed since then.

Old 02-12-2024, 03:52 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
How strictly was that enforced? Could you get around it by, for example, claiming that you wanted to take AP, but then realized that home ec would be a better fit, or vice versa? Or was it set in stone?
I don't know if it was set in stone, but close. One year she took the regular English course rather than college prep English and the teachers rode her constantly until she agreed to switch to the college prep course mid semester just to get them off her back.

Quote:
Sounds like your school had a good shop program. What is interesting is that if I look back at old newspaper articles or posts on Facebook from older graduates from my district, it sounds like most of the administrators were former shop teachers who were bumped upstairs when the district's shop program declined. I wonder if it declined because people were discouraged from taking it.
It was an excellent program, one of the best in the state. Ninth and tenth grade years were all the basics like I described. Eleventh and twelfth grade years were career focused. Those grades built and raced a couple of stock cars as part of the class. Pretty much every boy took 9th and 10th grade shop regardless of whether we were planning college or not. Then in junior year we separated into college prep vs vocational prep so I only took two years of shop.

The "death" of the program started when the county built a centralized Vo-Tech high school and pulled all the junior and senior level courses to the central school. Then with all those kids going to the central high school, it was much easier to cut shop classes until shop program was gone. Which also led to, with a significant number of students now at the county school, they could consolidate the non-college business English and business math courses. Then with so many kids at the county high school, it just made sense to close all the other high schools in the county and consolidate everything.

Quote:
Are gym classes mostly coed these days? That is a likely reason why. When I was in school, we had coed gym classes in elementary school and high school, but single sex gym classes in middle school. The only time I recall playing shirts and skins was basketball in 6th grade gym.
We were pretty much shirts and skins all through school. And guys shorts were short back then. Someone mentioned it earlier, but I believe it was the rash of homophobia in the 80s and the idea that a bunch of sweaty, stinky guys without shirts was somehow sexual predators that lead to the end of shirts & skins and to shorts getting knee length.

Quote:
I would suspect that the elite athletes nowadays are better than ever, while the weaker students are likely worse than ever.
I suspect you are very correct there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Neither my internship with high tech nor my student teaching at a school was "paid".
In fact I had to pay to do both.
My job site had lots of interns, both working for us and for various contractor companies. All were paid. Even the high school ones. They were given tasks commensurate with where they were in their education, with perhaps a stretch to their knowledge. The high school did a lot of inventory and data entry. The biggest thing with them was ensuring they only worked in parts of the plant safe for those under 18.

Quote:
For some reason, as women are allowed to wear more and more revealing clothing, there is more and more of a taboo against men wearing less clothing. When I was a kid, it used to be common to see men not wearing shirts, whereas now, men wear shirts basically everywhere except the pool and the beach.
Some places have gotten so out of hand that guys feel they must wear t-shirts even in the pool. One place I volunteer had that come up to whether the rules allowed men to swim without shirts if kids under 18 were present.

Old 02-12-2024, 04:15 PM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Some places have gotten so out of hand that guys feel they must wear t-shirts even in the pool. One place I volunteer had that come up to whether the rules allowed men to swim without shirts if kids under 18 were present.

Now that's transitioned to the "Ridiculous Zone". Unless most of the guys have moobs, then I sort of understand the revulsion.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:46 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
...I know this will offend a lot of people, but the simple truth is those courses you mentioned are much more valuable and useful in life than "art" and "music appreciation" or diagraming sentences. Yet those are required in many schools and the things you mentioned aren't even options.
In my opinion, art appreciation and classical music appreciation are important courses that lay a foundation for an interesting life, yet are not subjects that are easily learned in the home from most parents.

Diagramming sentences was an important method to learn and master English grammar when I was in elementary school, even if it was annoying and tedious at the time. I am very thankful that I learned it in school.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:02 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Now that's transitioned to the "Ridiculous Zone". Unless most of the guys have moobs, then I sort of understand the revulsion.
Mostly it was driven by fear of being sued because there is a segment of the public that considers adult males in proximity to youth as predators. Yes, it's gotten beyond ridiculous but the paranoia over potential lawsuits is real.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:39 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Mostly it was driven by fear of being sued because there is a segment of the public that considers adult males in proximity to youth as predators. Yes, it's gotten beyond ridiculous but the paranoia over potential lawsuits is real.
I'd need some proof of that. I'm a lawyer who sues a whole lot of people and no one has ever brought me a "case" like that.

Old 02-12-2024, 07:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not even sure what teaching kids about "life" means.
It's really not that complicated; anything not academic. Judging by student performance lately, I'd say the schools have their hands full just teaching that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education