Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2024, 08:57 PM

50,124 posts, read 23,785,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's really not that complicated; anything not academic. Judging by student performance lately, I'd say the schools have their hands full just teaching that.
Your response is so vague it doesn't define much. The question is not 'what is academic', as much as it is 'what is not academic that we need schools to teach?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 09:25 PM

21,406 posts, read 12,550,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Your response is so vague it doesn't define much. The question is not 'what is academic', as much as it is 'what is not academic that we need schools to teach?'
Readin', ritin', and rithmatic. Don't overcomplicate it.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:29 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,137,291 times
Just as in teaching, internships are required as part of the architecture curriculum in all accredited programs.

Most architecture programs include less than one semester of 'general education' courses--the rest are all degree-specific (structural design, architectural history, design theory, materials, etc), and all states and territories require a minimum of 5 years of study in the field. So if a student is unable to find a paid internship, they either have to take an unpaid internship or watch all their years of study go down the drain. They will be unable to finish their remaining years, and unable to transfer the credits to any other academic program.

The latest data collected by NCARB indicates that 40% of internships in the architecture field are unpaid. 81% of these positions are filled by women.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:38 PM

12,578 posts, read 8,809,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'd need some proof of that. I'm a lawyer who sues a whole lot of people and no one has ever brought me a "case" like that.
Seriously? Just to name a couple that have been so public any lawyer should know about them -- Catholic Church and BSA. Whether it's real or not, those cases have driven near paranoia into youth organizations over the fear of being sued out of existence. Even for an innocent person, simply defending yourself will bankrupt most people. That possibility, no matter how remote, creates a real fear among people.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:24 PM

50,124 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Readin', ritin', and rithmatic. Don't overcomplicate it.
No. The question is what do we teach that is NOT academic.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:32 AM

10,244 posts, read 10,491,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
For some reason, as women are allowed to wear more and more revealing clothing, there is more and more of a taboo against men wearing less clothing. When I was a kid, it used to be common to see men not wearing shirts, whereas now, men wear shirts basically everywhere except the pool and the beach.
I think you may be correct. I was shooting basketball at my local YMCA the other day and the gym was warm. I wanted to take my shirt off but there is a sign that says shirts must be worn at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
In my opinion, art appreciation and classical music appreciation are important courses that lay a foundation for an interesting life, yet are not subjects that are easily learned in the home from most parents.

Diagramming sentences was an important method to learn and master English grammar when I was in elementary school, even if it was annoying and tedious at the time. I am very thankful that I learned it in school.
I had to take music and art classes in junior high, but didn't have to take any in HS. In college, there was a requirement to take one of: Intro to Music, Art or Theatre. I got nothing from my Intro to Theatre choice.

We did some minimal sentence diagramming in 7th grade. I'm not sure how much it helped. What helped was having English teachers stressing grammar every year of school from elementary to graduation. I'm subbing today for an English class and have corrected a couple students for "Can me and someone else," and "we ain't doin' nothing anyway."

Old 02-13-2024, 09:55 AM

8,433 posts, read 3,695,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
-High schools not offering many classes on the trades, driver's ed, or ANY skills on money management
-No classes on impulse control, self-discipline, conflict resolution, etc.
There’s a difference between offering specific job skills/trades vs. that which applies to all students i.e. basic money management and psychology/health. It is impossible for any high-school to offer various job skills to cover all the bases; hence the point of trade schools and community colleges.

That said, I do agree re: life skills which are universally applicable (and part of a general education), no matter the student’s career choice down-the-road. Driver’s ed, not so much; driving is a simple skill that most every teen is motivated/excited to learn anyway.

Old 02-13-2024, 03:28 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,979,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
We were pretty much shirts and skins all through school. And guys shorts were short back then. Someone mentioned it earlier, but I believe it was the rash of homophobia in the 80s and the idea that a bunch of sweaty, stinky guys without shirts was somehow sexual predators that lead to the end of shirts & skins and to shorts getting knee length.

I suspect you are very correct there.

Some places have gotten so out of hand that guys feel they must wear t-shirts even in the pool. One place I volunteer had that come up to whether the rules allowed men to swim without shirts if kids under 18 were present.
What were women allowed to wear? Were they allowed to wear bikinis, or were they required to cover up?

Quote:
Mostly it was driven by fear of being sued because there is a segment of the public that considers adult males in proximity to youth as predators. Yes, it's gotten beyond ridiculous but the paranoia over potential lawsuits is real.
That is one possibility. Another possibility is that, rightly or wrongly, gender-specific dress codes have become less and less accepted. Perhaps rather than allowing women to be topless, it's just easier to require men to wear shirts? And then there is the issue of non-binary gender, transgender, etc, where there may be some question as to which dress code applies to a particular individual? What I would have a problem would be a scenario where women are allowed to wear the skimpiest bikini imaginable, while men are required to wear a shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think you may be correct. I was shooting basketball at my local YMCA the other day and the gym was warm. I wanted to take my shirt off but there is a sign that says shirts must be worn at all times.
What were the women wearing? Were they wearing full shirts, midriff shirts, sports bras?

Old 02-13-2024, 05:12 PM

12,578 posts, read 8,809,297 times
Quote:
What were women allowed to wear? Were they allowed to wear bikinis, or were they required to cover up?
Two piece were acceptable as long as they were reasonable. No thongs, strings, things like that, but otherwise OK.

Quote:
That is one possibility. Another possibility is that, rightly or wrongly, gender-specific dress codes have become less and less accepted. Perhaps rather than allowing women to be topless, it's just easier to require men to wear shirts? And then there is the issue of non-binary gender, transgender, etc, where there may be some question as to which dress code applies to a particular individual? What I would have a problem would be a scenario where women are allowed to wear the skimpiest bikini imaginable, while men are required to wear a shirt.
Nope, nothing like. The specific discussion was over whether the youth protection rules allowed males to swim shirtless and especially adult males. Specifically, whether adult males shirtless in the presence of youth could be considered grooming.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:36 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,979,930 times
Quote:
Two piece were acceptable as long as they were reasonable. No thongs, strings, things like that, but otherwise OK.
That seems like a double standard to allow women to wear bikinis but require men to wear a shirt.

Quote:
Nope, nothing like. The specific discussion was over whether the youth protection rules allowed males to swim shirtless and especially adult males. Specifically, whether adult males shirtless in the presence of youth could be considered grooming.
That’s ridiculous. I would want nothing to do with whatever organization that was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education