Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-13-2024, 04:56 PM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Reputation: 12699

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
What were the women wearing? Were they wearing full shirts, midriff shirts, sports bras?
I was the only one in the gym. I knew the girl at the front desk usually comes in to say they will be closing in 15 minutes so I kept my shirt on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2024, 05:02 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Reputation: 48142
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think you may be correct. I was shooting basketball at my local YMCA the other day and the gym was warm. I wanted to take my shirt off but there is a sign that says shirts must be worn at all times.
Skins and shirts play at out local YMCA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2024, 05:42 PM
 
1,225 posts, read 1,229,422 times
Reputation: 3429
Once upon a time in Chicago, boys were *required* to swim naked in gym class (https://www.wbez.org/stories/baring-...5-0c4bf4d5a0be). So I'm pretty sure boys are now *grateful* to be allowed to wear a tshirt in the pool nowadays!



Outside of the pool, my high school allowed male gym students to wear gray shorts and a white t-shirt. Basically things you could buy at any store. Female students were required to buy special apparel, custom screen-printed at a local shop (which just happened to be owned by a school board member).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2024, 08:05 PM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Reputation: 12699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Skins and shirts play at out local YMCA
I've been to most of the YMCAs in Southwestern PA. Which one is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Once upon a time in Chicago, boys were *required* to swim naked in gym class (https://www.wbez.org/stories/baring-...5-0c4bf4d5a0be). So I'm pretty sure boys are now *grateful* to be allowed to wear a tshirt in the pool nowadays!

Outside of the pool, my high school allowed male gym students to wear gray shorts and a white t-shirt. Basically things you could buy at any store. Female students were required to buy special apparel, custom screen-printed at a local shop (which just happened to be owned by a school board member).
In my junior high, swimsuits were optional. Your forgot your swimsuit, you swam naked. I never swam with a t-shirt on and would not want to swim with one on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2024, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Sunnybrook Farm
4,502 posts, read 2,646,853 times
Reputation: 12990
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
We discovered it worse than that when our oldest hit that age. We asked about signing her up for shop and Home Ec and were told it was a permanent decision -- if she took a single shop or home ec class, then she would not be permitted to take any AP or college prep courses. And if she took any college prep courses, then could not take shop or home ec. .
Good way to keep kids from going into engineering.

Shop classes were amongst my favorite classes at my high powered academically-focused prep school. Along with all the advanced math and physics, engineers also need to learn how the materials they'll be working with behave in real life. Shop classes (of all types) are a great path for this.

The administration at the school system in question were obviously too stupid to be doing their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2024, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Sunnybrook Farm
4,502 posts, read 2,646,853 times
Reputation: 12990
Part of the problem with "schools teaching life skills" is that they still have to teach academic subjects.

There is limited time available.

Now add to that everyone's personal wish list of the life skills they think ought to be taught, and pretty soon either you've got the kids in school 17 hours a day, or you have to drop the academics. In the kinds of city public schools where the parents are absent, non compos mentis, or otherwise not doing their job, in other words, the kinds of city public schools where teaching life skills would really be of benefit, the academics are hardly getting taught as it is.

The assumption, which is false in many cases, is that parents will be doing a lot of this teaching about life and how to survive it, in the 16 hours a day the kids are (supposedly) with them, so the 8 hours a day the kids are in school are available for academics.

I don't know how to solve the problem without making the academic performance of those inner city schools even worse. Is that a price we ought to be willing to pay, in return for making better citizens out of those kids whose parents aren't on their job? If we make that decision, though, then we're only furthering the divide between the academic preparation of kids from good schools and kids from bad schools; plus the smart motivated kids in the bad schools are going to get badly shortchanged just because of family income and physical location.

I was watching an old TV show about Marine boot camp and it occurred to me that a lot of what the boots were being taught WAS "basic life, how to do it". Things like making one's bed. Organizing your belongings. Being ready at any moment to roll out and dress and be ready for whatever. I know that they also give training on things like how to manage one's money, how not to catch VD, etc. Military courtesy is really just an extended and extreme version of civilian courtesy. And so on.

Well, we can't send every kid from an urban high school for a couple years in the Marines, at least not any more. So I'm truly at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2024, 10:03 AM
 
12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Reputation: 34873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Good way to keep kids from going into engineering.

Shop classes were amongst my favorite classes at my high powered academically-focused prep school. Along with all the advanced math and physics, engineers also need to learn how the materials they'll be working with behave in real life. Shop classes (of all types) are a great path for this.

The administration at the school system in question were obviously too stupid to be doing their jobs.
Agree, I found it one of the most useful programs for my life and career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Part of the problem with "schools teaching life skills" is that they still have to teach academic subjects.

There is limited time available.

Now add to that everyone's personal wish list of the life skills they think ought to be taught, and pretty soon either you've got the kids in school 17 hours a day, or you have to drop the academics. In the kinds of city public schools where the parents are absent, non compos mentis, or otherwise not doing their job, in other words, the kinds of city public schools where teaching life skills would really be of benefit, the academics are hardly getting taught as it is.

The assumption, which is false in many cases, is that parents will be doing a lot of this teaching about life and how to survive it, in the 16 hours a day the kids are (supposedly) with them, so the 8 hours a day the kids are in school are available for academics.

I don't know how to solve the problem without making the academic performance of those inner city schools even worse. Is that a price we ought to be willing to pay, in return for making better citizens out of those kids whose parents aren't on their job? If we make that decision, though, then we're only furthering the divide between the academic preparation of kids from good schools and kids from bad schools; plus the smart motivated kids in the bad schools are going to get badly shortchanged just because of family income and physical location.

I was watching an old TV show about Marine boot camp and it occurred to me that a lot of what the boots were being taught WAS "basic life, how to do it". Things like making one's bed. Organizing your belongings. Being ready at any moment to roll out and dress and be ready for whatever. I know that they also give training on things like how to manage one's money, how not to catch VD, etc. Military courtesy is really just an extended and extreme version of civilian courtesy. And so on.

Well, we can't send every kid from an urban high school for a couple years in the Marines, at least not any more. So I'm truly at a loss.
I don't think the time problem is as difficult as schools make it out to be. Let's look at one life skill to start with. Balancing a checkbook. That's basic math with some algebraic thinking. Interest on a loan and compound interest. Math. Those skills could easily be incorporated within math. Logical thinking can be taught in algebra, science, and even history and lit. Heck at my kids' high school, many of those life skills were simply part of the JROTC program. If JROTC can do that, why can't others?

Considering time, my kids' middle school required three years of either band or chorus. Plus, art in middle school and art in high school. Is three years of band/chorus and two years of art really that important that we can shave a year or two out for basic life skills? I think there's plenty of time in the school calendar, too much is just spent on the less valuable but more "intellectually appealing" classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2024, 10:23 AM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Reputation: 60906
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Agree, I found it one of the most useful programs for my life and career.



I don't think the time problem is as difficult as schools make it out to be. Let's look at one life skill to start with. Balancing a checkbook. That's basic math with some algebraic thinking. Interest on a loan and compound interest. Math. Those skills could easily be incorporated within math. Logical thinking can be taught in algebra, science, and even history and lit. Heck at my kids' high school, many of those life skills were simply part of the JROTC program. If JROTC can do that, why can't others?

Considering time, my kids' middle school required three years of either band or chorus. Plus, art in middle school and art in high school. Is three years of band/chorus and two years of art really that important that we can shave a year or two out for basic life skills? I think there's plenty of time in the school calendar, too much is just spent on the less valuable but more "intellectually appealing" classes.
Some of the above is done already, I did it in the consumer units of Econ for God's sake. What the issue is that people proclaim that "XXXX isn't being done" because there's no class with that title and no matter what those of us tell them they don't move off that rock. Look how many people claim that Civics isn't taught when all it is is the class name has changed.

Then there's also the thought that if a kid is smart enough to do Trig or Calculus (or Chem and Physics) he's smart enough to figure out interest rates.

Typically Band/Choir are free electives. Kids who are in those, especially Band, already have an interest in it, so the first year may fulfill a hard Fine Art requirement (although for most kids that's just a General Music class) the rest of the years are for kids who are interested. The same would be true for Art (which Band or Choir fills for a Fine Art), most kids will take a General Art class. That second or third year is for kids with an interest. Throw an AP Art into that (or AP Music Theory for music).

JROTC, unless at a designated all JROTC school, is an elective most places and often counts as a Practical Art (along with Family and Consumer Science, Computer Graphics (which can also count as a Fine Art), various Computer Applications courses and, yes, a Shop class if the school has those).

I had one Principal who wanted all 9th Graders in JROTC to instill "discipline". What was funny was that the school didn't have a discipline "problem" when she took over. That came in years seven and eight of her tenure when her discipline "theories" came back to explode on us.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 02-14-2024 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2024, 10:28 AM
 
6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Reputation: 4357
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I was the only one in the gym. I knew the girl at the front desk usually comes in to say they will be closing in 15 minutes so I kept my shirt on.
It sounds like you go there often. How do women typically dress there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2024, 10:29 AM
 
6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Reputation: 4357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Skins and shirts play at out local YMCA
I'm guessing each individual location has their own rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top