Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-15-2024, 07:58 AM
 
Location: NMB, SC
43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Reputation: 34961

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Better question: Why are parents failing to teach this stuff? It’s not up to teachers to step in for inadequate parenting.
I've read numerous times that the first 5 years are the most important..brain development with regards to intellectual, social and emotional development.

And that used to be before then entered school. That would be what parents instill and teach their kids.

And this new trend of "positive parenting" ...well kids enter school and face discipline for the first time and just lose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2024, 08:18 AM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Reputation: 12705
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Better question: Why are parents failing to teach this stuff? It’s not up to teachers to step in for inadequate parenting.
Why bother to ask the question? You have many parents who are addicts, kids who never met their father, kids being raised by a grandmother, etc. Any education not provided by schools will not happen in many cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Reputation: 32935
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Better question: Why are parents failing to teach this stuff? It’s not up to teachers to step in for inadequate parenting.
Well...I agree with your first point, but not with your second. In re the second...it's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 08:44 AM
 
Location: NMB, SC
43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Reputation: 34961
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well...I agree with your first point, but not with your second. In re the second...it's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.
Teachers cannot take the place of parents unless you turn K-12 into boarding school.
They can try but the kids still go home to the parents and it's the parents that come to school to defend their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Reputation: 32935
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Teachers cannot take the place of parents unless you turn K-12 into boarding school.
They can try but the kids still go home to the parents and it's the parents that come to school to defend their kids.
I realize it's not something all people are going to agree on. But I am thinking more of the parents who are pretty much non-involved with their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 09:04 AM
 
14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Reputation: 45727
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well...I agree with your first point, but not with your second. In re the second...it's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Teachers cannot take the place of parents unless you turn K-12 into boarding school.
They can try but the kids still go home to the parents and it's the parents that come to school to defend their kids.
The problem I see is that if this education doesn't get provided by someone society may be looking incarcerating this person in prison or dealing with some other significant social problem. The failure of some parents to teach these concepts has much to do with why schools have to step in and do the job.

I'll give a benign example. Our junior high school had a class in health education. My mother was a nurse and saw to it that I knew everything important to staying healthy before I entered junior high school. I passed a test that waived the requirement that I take the class. Ninety percent of my classmates could not pass the test because they were never taught anything by their parents about health and disease prevention. Most parents simply don't have the background to teach their kids this material. However, if they did the school could have avoided spending all this time on a class that emphasized personal health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 09:40 AM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Reputation: 12705
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The problem I see is that if this education doesn't get provided by someone society may be looking incarcerating this person in prison or dealing with some other significant social problem. The failure of some parents to teach these concepts has much to do with why schools have to step in and do the job.

I'll give a benign example. Our junior high school had a class in health education. My mother was a nurse and saw to it that I knew everything important to staying healthy before I entered junior high school. I passed a test that waived the requirement that I take the class. Ninety percent of my classmates could not pass the test because they were never taught anything by their parents about health and disease prevention. Most parents simply don't have the background to teach their kids this material. However, if they did the school could have avoided spending all this time on a class that emphasized personal health.
Health is a good example that should receive more emphasis in school. I don't think it is taken very seriously by most schools and health teachers. There is so much that could be covered. I think my health class was two days a week for one year in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Reputation: 32935
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The problem I see is that if this education doesn't get provided by someone society may be looking incarcerating this person in prison or dealing with some other significant social problem. The failure of some parents to teach these concepts has much to do with why schools have to step in and do the job.

I'll give a benign example. Our junior high school had a class in health education. My mother was a nurse and saw to it that I knew everything important to staying healthy before I entered junior high school. I passed a test that waived the requirement that I take the class. Ninety percent of my classmates could not pass the test because they were never taught anything by their parents about health and disease prevention. Most parents simply don't have the background to teach their kids this material. However, if they did the school could have avoided spending all this time on a class that emphasized personal health.
I think you're getting at my point. It's easy to shrug one's shoulders and say it's not my job. But then, what kind of young adult do we end up with? A drain on society? Often the answer is yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 09:47 AM
 
Location: NMB, SC
43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Reputation: 34961
OP wasn't talking about health class as that has been a teaching subject for decades.

Impulse control and self discipline....those are the biggies that parents should be instilling.
Feral children wreak havoc in school and it's not just one or two during the day.

Not so much in the middle class and higher schools but it's really bad in the poor and dangerously poor schools.

And it's not the kids' fault. They are a product of their upbringing and enter school with those values (good/bad) that are instilled by their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2024, 09:49 AM
 
14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Reputation: 45727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
OP wasn't talking about health class as that has been a teaching subject for decades.

Impulse control and self discipline....those are the biggies that parents should be instilling.
Feral children wreak havoc in school and it's not just one or two during the day.

Not so much in the middle class and higher schools but it's really bad in the poor and dangerously poor schools.

And it's not the kids' fault. They are a product of their upbringing and enter school with those values (good/bad) that are instilled by their parents.
Well, other than telling the parents of those kids to "do a better job" what is your solution? Or, are you saying there isn't one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top