Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2024, 12:48 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, it couldn't be that colleges are now, and have been for a couple decades, admitting more students who aren't really qualified and wouldn't have been admitted prior to, oh, around 1990.

I started college in 1973 and there were remedial classes even then at the Pennsylvania state college I attended. They were called Student Development if I recall correctly.
Most of the colleges and universities in Western PA and West Virginia are struggling with enrollment. I'm sure they are willing to take anyone with a high school diploma. See:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/02/us/we...nts/index.html

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...083?cid=search

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...098?cid=search

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-...gheny-college/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 12:54 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, just as I support merit pay.
This is fantastic. We are in agreement on two key points -- merit pay and pay relative to the market for the subject matter.

Old 02-17-2024, 02:33 PM

50,758 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is fantastic. We are in agreement on two key points -- merit pay and pay relative to the market for the subject matter.
Well, if you and I are in agreement, then I must be wrong.

Old 02-17-2024, 02:35 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Most of the colleges and universities in Western PA and West Virginia are struggling with enrollment. I'm sure they are willing to take anyone with a high school diploma. See:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/02/us/we...nts/index.html

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...083?cid=search

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...098?cid=search

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-...gheny-college/

They kind of always were, especially after the draft ended.

Old 02-17-2024, 02:59 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,917,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, if you and I are in agreement, then I must be wrong.

Old 02-17-2024, 05:33 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They kind of always were, especially after the draft ended.
It didn't seem like most colleges were taking everyone in the 1970s and I remember a lot of people flunking out. That could've been a reflection of the people I hung out with..

Old 02-17-2024, 06:41 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
It didn't seem like most colleges were taking everyone in the 1970s and I remember a lot of people flunking out. That could've been a reflection of the people I hung out with..
About half or so. About the same as today.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:46 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
They aren’t accepted into top-tiered schools; community colleges offer basic remedial classes, often in an attempt to prepare one with basic job or trade skills. That said, it’s not always on the high-school as to why remedial classes are necessary for some; it isn’t a one-dimensional problem, and it can’t be solved as though it is.
It's been happening since at least the late 1960s. The universities make them pay for remedial classes with no credit.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:21 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,851,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The universities make them pay for remedial classes with no credit.
Why shouldn’t they pay for remedial classes at lower-tiered/community colleges if they are in search of basic job skills and/or have suddenly become motivated. The vast majority of high-school students who (plan to) further their education follow a college prep track/timeline (and know where they stand).

Quote:
My suggestion would be not to accept them in college and send them back to high school to take those classes.
As such, it’s not on the high-school when students sometimes fall short, are ill-prepared and/or change relative to their educational/career goals.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:26 AM

5,438 posts, read 7,723,606 times
Quote:
Too many college students have to take basic remedial classes as incoming freshmen so K - 12 is falling down on the job, somewhere. My guess would be grade inflation to get the graduation stats the schools need. My suggestion would be not to accept them in college and send them back to high school to take those classes. Their parents already paid their taxes (and tuition if they are coming from private schools). They shouldn't have to pay tuition for remedial classes in college, too. The Department of Education should monitor the number of send backs.
HS teacher here.

Yeah, that's not going to generally work. HS doesn't lend itself to adults dropping in to recover a few credits that they missed because they were goofing off too much the first time around. For several reasons.

1. You don't necessarily want adults mixing socially with freshmen/sophomore/junior students. No good will come of that. I teach HS biology and I don't think a lot of parents would really be happy with some rando older guys sitting in class with their kids. Especially when we are talking about the loser types who couldn't manage to get through HS the first time around. And trust me, you have to really try to screw up and not graduate from the average public HS.

2. HS schedules are not conducive to part-time attendance. It doesn't make sense to attend 5-days a week for a 50 minute class at say 10:50 in the morning when there are much more conducive community college options on better schedules for part-time students. And also a wealth of online options. If you are doing it though a local community college the price isn't that high. Especially if you just need a couple of credits. If the cost is really a problem then the better option is to subsidize remedial community college classes to bring the cost down rather than send those students back to HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education