Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2024, 03:31 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
-High schools not offering...
-No classes on...
-University not offering...

Why?
Not all. When I taught at the local Community College, I always interspersed what I called "life lessons" throughout my lectures. Those were basically 'short stories' from my life experiences that would help a young adult just starting out in life. On the first day of class, during the introduction, I also told them that I am not "politically correct". That saved a lot of misunderstandings throughout the semester.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 05:24 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How can this be a serious question when you're ignoring the obvious reason: money.

1. What "trades" did you have in mind? Are you aware of the existence of technical high schools which do offer classes in "trades"? Many technical high schools are regional, with multiple high schools feeding into them. Some high schools have standalone technical courses.
  2. Social/emotional learning is generally embedded in everyday classroom activities. Parents should be their children's first teachers on those topics. That includes money management.
  3. I can see universities matching students with internships, both on campus and off-campus. They have little power to "offer" internships off-campus, though.
SEL is just code for DEI.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:54 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Disagree. People are concerned about content; not what name is on the class. And it's not even about the so called "standards" but about what is actually being taught in the classroom. Parents see the textbooks; they see the homework; and they see the tests. That's content, not course title.
You're not going to see social/emotional learning in homework or on a test. It's everyday stuff that is embedded into everyday interaction among human beings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Most parents simply don't have the background to teach their kids this material. However, if they did the school could have avoided spending all this time on a class that emphasized personal health.
Most parents aren't health professionals, and most parents never will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
SEL is just code for DEI.
Wrong. But I'm not surprised some would react with a knee-jerk to the phrase and never really understand the concept. Social/emotional learning is stuff that the OP says isn't being taught, when it is, on a daily basis: communication skills, conflict resolution skills, time management, self management, anger management, self-awareness, decision making.

Nothing of social/emotional learning is DEI.

Old 02-23-2024, 03:20 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,278 times
Quote:
-High schools not offering many classes on the trades, driver's ed, or ANY skills on money management
-No classes on impulse control, self-discipline, conflict resolution, etc.
-University not offering job training or white-collar apprenticeships, forcing graduates into the catch-22 involving jobs and job experience (I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about).

Why?

Serious question.
Parents don't trust teachers to pick books or teach history... but now they want teachers to be the primary people teaching conflict resolution and self-discipline?

Sarcasm aside, we DO teach conflict resolution and self-discipline. These things are results of students working in groups, managing their time, submitting assignments in a timely fashion, etc. Reading comprehension, analysis, critical thinking, and synthesizing information are other side effects.

K-12 institutions can only do so much. Colleges absolutely offer internships. Students don't always take advantage, but they are there.

Old 02-23-2024, 03:23 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Parents don't trust teachers to pick books or teach history... but now they want teachers to be the primary people teaching conflict resolution and self-discipline?

Sarcasm aside, we DO teach conflict resolution and self-discipline. These things are results of students working in groups, managing their time, submitting assignments in a timely fashion, etc. Reading comprehension, analysis, critical thinking, and synthesizing information are other side effects.

K-12 institutions can only do so much. Colleges absolutely offer internships. Students don't always take advantage, but they are there.
Different set of parents. The parents are all different and don't think or act in the "collective"

Old 02-27-2024, 07:04 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
-High schools not offering many classes on the trades, driver's ed, or ANY skills on money management
-No classes on impulse control, self-discipline, conflict resolution, etc.
-University not offering job training or white-collar apprenticeships, forcing graduates into the catch-22 involving jobs and job experience (I'm sure you know exactly what I am talking about).

Why?

Serious question.
NY is now suggesting or mandating life-skills education. My wife went to a BOE town hall meeting on the subject last night.

Old 02-27-2024, 08:39 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,733,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
NY is now suggesting or mandating life-skills education. My wife went to a BOE town hall meeting on the subject last night.
What existing requirement are the proposing be removed in favor of "life skills"

Old 02-29-2024, 12:40 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
What existing requirement are the proposing be removed in favor of "life skills"
I don't know. I'll try to remember to ask my wife, who went to the town hall.

Old 03-01-2024, 05:16 AM

982 posts, read 522,520 times
Everything I learned that was of any value occurred outside of school. School was just a place to talk w/ your buddies and meet girls. Oh, and to grab a smoke.

Yes, we had a smoking area in high school. So I guess I did learn something. Mostly, which end of the cigarette to hold in my mouth. It was still easy to get confused if Betty Sue bent over in that halter top, which led to the invention of Camel cigarettes. Either end worked fine.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:11 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,861,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Everything I learned that was of any value occurred outside of school. School was just a place to talk w/ your buddies and meet girls. Oh, and to grab a smoke.

Yes, we had a smoking area in high school.
Did you have any sort of health class or play sports? That said, it solidifies the point as to why high-schools need to teach basic life skills, per the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education