Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 08:19 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Everything I learned that was of any value occurred outside of school. School was just a place to talk w/ your buddies and meet girls. Oh, and to grab a smoke.
Well, if you wanted to learn about science, math, or computers, then you pretty much had to go to school for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 09:57 AM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, if you wanted to learn about science, math, or computers, then you pretty much had to go to school for that.
High schools teach science, math and computers; many (IB and AP) classes are considered (an introductory) college-level. Clearly, StephenMM speaks for the students who had/have no interest in pursuing such.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Fortunately, that (going to school) is no longer required to learn that stuff, nor has it been, Many of the world's greatest scientists and inventors did not attend school. And that is especially a viable option today!

Farm kids inquisitive learners, and homeschoolers make great scientists, inventors, engineers. Just go hire a few of each (schooled and non) and see who delivers results!

It's a good lesson and investment in "life". real, effective and productive life.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
What existing requirement are the proposing be removed in favor of "life skills"
Are you implying the current school day and curriculum is fully booked and utilized?

(Just asking)... Not that schools are capable or appropriate to teach "life skills". It could become yet another diversion from core academics.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:18 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Everything I learned that was of any value occurred outside of school. School was just a place to talk w/ your buddies and meet girls. Oh, and to grab a smoke.

Yes, we had a smoking area in high school. So I guess I did learn something. Mostly, which end of the cigarette to hold in my mouth. It was still easy to get confused if Betty Sue bent over in that halter top, which led to the invention of Camel cigarettes. Either end worked fine.
In other words, YOU didn't take advantage of your opportunities.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Fortunately, that (going to school) is no longer required to learn that stuff, nor has it been, Many of the world's greatest scientists and inventors did not attend school. And that is especially a viable option today!

Farm kids inquisitive learners, and homeschoolers make great scientists, inventors, engineers. Just go hire a few of each (schooled and non) and see who delivers results!

It's a good lesson and investment in "life". real, effective and productive life.
1. Like which "greatest scientists and inventors" in the 21st century didn't go to school?
2. You seem to make up a lot of stuff. But, okay, the next time a nuclear power plants begins to melt down, we'll head right to a farm and get a kid shoveling manure to solve the problem.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:15 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Like which "greatest scientists and inventors" in the 21st century didn't go to school?
2. You seem to make up a lot of stuff. But, okay, the next time a nuclear power plants begins to melt down, we'll head right to a farm and get a kid shoveling manure to solve the problem.
Well, the Calutron Girls might disagree with that. Or more likely, make a meme out of it and wear it as a badge of honor.

" the government recruited farm girls to operate the calutrons instead.[2][3] Local women were recruited because they were readily available, accustomed to hard work and were expected not to ask excessive questions and to be loyal and docile."

Old 03-01-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well, the Calutron Girls might disagree with that. Or more likely, make a meme out of it and wear it as a badge of honor.

" the government recruited farm girls to operate the calutrons instead.[2][3] Local women were recruited because they were readily available, accustomed to hard work and were expected not to ask excessive questions and to be loyal and docile."
I think you're missing the point. As I recall, the Calutron Girls were simply doing rather rote work and didn't even know what they were working on.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:57 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you're missing the point. As I recall, the Calutron Girls were simply doing rather rote work and didn't even know what they were working on.
Oh, I understand the point. You tossed out an attempt at belittling his statement by belittling the farm kids themselves with your "shoveling manure" comment. And I pointed out those "farm kids" were trained to operate some of the most technically complex equipment of its time. My oldest's best friend from college happens to be a farm kid who also happens to be a nuclear plant operator.

Old 03-01-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Oh, I understand the point. You tossed out an attempt at belittling his statement by belittling the farm kids themselves with your "shoveling manure" comment. And I pointed out those "farm kids" were trained to operate some of the most technically complex equipment of its time. My oldest's best friend from college happens to be a farm kid who also happens to be a nuclear plant operator.
I'm sure that farm kid who became a nuclear plant operator had some type of post-high school education? After all, they have to become licensed.

And by the way...I'm farm country, and the kids I knew who grew up on farms all spent some time shoveling manure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education