Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2024, 04:51 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
I wish we weren't so arrogant when it comes to running our education system and that we might take a look at what other countries do. Like, Japan, for example.

Japanese school children go to school for 200 days per year. In this country, states may mandate the number of days. In CT where I lived and taught, 180 days was the requisite. They attend school five days a week for six hours with a break for lunch whereby they clean their own classrooms (imagine the savings right there). Then they to to after-school programs or study groups.

We prefer to look to countries like Namibia and Yemen, seems like, for inspiration. And we expect to remain a world power...?
There's nothing wrong with looking at how other societies educate their children. But I don't want to produce an American version of Japanese children and adults. (Same for other countries).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 05:32 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Japanese preschoolers learning how to clean their classrooms

https://twitter.com/TheFigen_/status...597685044?s=20

Old 03-12-2024, 09:07 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Japanese preschoolers learning how to clean their classrooms

https://twitter.com/TheFigen_/status...597685044?s=20
It happens in the US too. Preschool teachers sing this song during clean up time.

Time to clean up everyone
Let's pick up our things
Clean up
Everybody clean up, clean up
Everybody clean up
Time to clean up
Pick up
Everybody pick up, pick up
Everybody pick up
Time to pick up
Pick up the toys, put them away
Pick up the box, put them away
Pick up the books, put them away
Put your things away
Put your things away
Clean up
Everybody clean up
Time to clean up
Pick up
Everybody pick up
Time to pick up
Put your things away
Put your things away

Even Barney the Dinosaur sing a clean up song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC9znRr8FG0

Old 03-13-2024, 09:50 AM

10,711 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many parents cannot find child care for one day a week even if they could afford it. As bad as the education is that students get now, why try to cram it into 4 days? American students already have substandard performance on most tests.
Of course they can. They simply don't want to pay what it would cost (notwithstanding the last point of the highlighted sentence).

Old 03-13-2024, 10:07 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Of course they can. They simply don't want to pay what it would cost (notwithstanding the last point of the highlighted sentence).
Sorry, but in my years as a principal, I did know parents who had trouble coming up with the money for child care.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:16 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Childcare care here is more per day than what many parents make per day. Most licensed childcare providers don't want a child only one day a week. It costs them more for the extra help than they make. You are limited how many children you can have at any one time. Why take a one day a week child when you can get a full-time one and make much more money? It is a business after all.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sorry, but in my years as a principal, I did know parents who had trouble coming up with the money for child care.
The post that I responded to made it clear that affordability was not the issue.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Childcare care here is more per day than what many parents make per day. Most licensed childcare providers don't want a child only one day a week. It costs them more for the extra help than they make. You are limited how many children you can have at any one time. Why take a one day a week child when you can get a full-time one and make much more money? It is a business after all.
Your post was clear, that affordability was not an issue.

And my prior post is still correct. Sufficient money will make one day a week child care magically appear.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:24 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Your post was clear, that affordability was not an issue.

And my prior post is still correct. Sufficient money will make one day a week child care magically appear.
People can't afford one day a week child care. Can't get any more simple than that. Day care that takes one day a week children charge 2-3 times as much for a day as they do a a day for a child they have all week. They must.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
People can't afford one day a week child care. Can't get any more simple than that. Day care that takes one day a week children charge 2-3 times as much for a day as they do a a day for a child they have all week. They must.
YOU established that affordability wasn’t an issue. Given that, my post is correct - sufficient money will make one day a week child care available. If you’d like to change that position to affordability is now in fact an issue, then you are correct. But that isn’t what you wrote, nor is it what I responded to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education