Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-15-2024, 12:40 PM
 
Location: NMB, SC
43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Reputation: 34929

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
People can't afford one day a week child care. Can't get any more simple than that. Day care that takes one day a week children charge 2-3 times as much for a day as they do a a day for a child they have all week. They must.
Well nearly 10% of US schools have moved to the 4 day week and that has not come up as an issue from articles I've read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2024, 07:14 AM
 
8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Reputation: 5919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
People can't afford one day a week child care. Can't get any more simple than that. Day care that takes one day a week children charge 2-3 times as much for a day as they do a a day for a child they have all week. They must.
People having children without being able to afford them is a larger issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2024, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Reputation: 32905
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
People having children without being able to afford them is a larger issue.
And yet I have known and worked with extremely poor parents who have managed, somehow, to raise wonderful kids, and extremely rich parents where the 'home' is a hell hole...and everything in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2024, 04:31 PM
 
8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Reputation: 5919
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And yet I have known and worked with extremely poor parents who have managed, somehow, to raise wonderful kids, and extremely rich parents where the 'home' is a hell hole...and everything in between.
Money doesn't make great parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2024, 04:32 PM
 
10,708 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Reputation: 10844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Money doesn't make great parents.
Neither does poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2024, 05:02 PM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Reputation: 60912
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Neither does poverty.
Nor do self-absorbed ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2024, 04:31 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Reputation: 46171
. Why are Texas school districts adopting the four-day week?

In Texas, there are currently 83 districts that have approved a four-day school week, affecting almost 96,000 students

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/why-...-day-week/amp/

‘Opportunities outweigh the challenges’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2024, 12:01 PM
 
Location: WA
5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Reputation: 8548
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
. Why are Texas school districts adopting the four-day week?

In Texas, there are currently 83 districts that have approved a four-day school week, affecting almost 96,000 students

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/why-...-day-week/amp/

‘Opportunities outweigh the challenges’
TLDR: Hint. It's the money.

When the fancy private prep schools in Texas that educate the elite, like St. John's in Houston or St. Marks in Dallas switch to 4-day weeks. Then you will know it is actually about the education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2024, 01:08 PM
 
Location: NMB, SC
43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Reputation: 34929
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
TLDR: Hint. It's the money.

When the fancy private prep schools in Texas that educate the elite, like St. John's in Houston or St. Marks in Dallas switch to 4-day weeks. Then you will know it is actually about the education.
The border states have unique issues due to immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2024, 02:54 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Reputation: 46171
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
TLDR: Hint. It's the money.

When the fancy private prep schools in Texas that educate the elite, like St. John's in Houston or St. Marks in Dallas switch to 4-day weeks. Then you will know it is actually about the education.
Fortunately, there are many great reasons beyond BIS (butt-in-seat) for delivering a quality and effective education. As is very obvious in the WW
academic stats. You don't have to harness the students to a high number of classroom hours to convey learnings. Plenty do fine, (even excellent ) without classrooms.

No single formula works for all. Not to cattle, poultry, fish, swine, lamb, or even your students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top