Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2024, 09:11 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yes, and the vast majority of those children are not engaged in quality home-schooling with stay-home parents.

They are doing things like staying home caring for young children when parents can't afford daycare, or just working rather than attending school. Or just doing nothing at all.
I hate to think of the "science" that many home schoolers are learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 09:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've had the opportunity to observe many social studies student teachers. I'm shocked at how little they know about the subjects they are supposed to be teaching. I wonder about the subject knowledge of an average parent who did not go to college or graduated from high school twenty years ago.

A parent might be able to be successful if the child wants to learn and has average intelligence. Where the typical parent will struggle is not being able to recognize learning issues such as evaluating the reading ability or math proficiency at a certain age.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've had the opportunity to observe many social studies student teachers. I'm shocked at how little they know about the subjects they are supposed to be teaching. I wonder about the subject knowledge of an average parent who did not go to college or graduated from high school twenty years ago.

A parent might be able to be successful if the child wants to learn and has average intelligence. Where the typical parent will struggle is not being able to recognize learning issues such as evaluating the reading ability or math proficiency at a certain age.
Particularly in subjects since as chemistry, physics, and higher level math courses. And the labs!

Old 03-21-2024, 06:20 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
And that's fine. The question is whether it's a long or short term change. When it comes to anything related to covid I make no predictions.
It's already long term- since 2020

Old 03-21-2024, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yes, and the vast majority of those children are not engaged in quality home-schooling with stay-home parents.

They are doing things like staying home caring for young children when parents can't afford daycare, or just working rather than attending school. Or just doing nothing at all.

Charter and private schools - they aren't all staying home doing nothing.
Charter and private schools had double digit increase in enrollment since 2020

Old 03-21-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Particularly in subjects since as chemistry, physics, and higher level math courses. And the labs!
People who excel in those areas go into private industry - the pay, the benefits, the challenge

Old 03-21-2024, 10:00 AM

206 posts, read 136,011 times
Quote:
You definitely don't want to review the data! (and obviously you do not anyway) (No secret here for this poster )

https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/...ief-2015-2.pdf
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ794828.pdf
https://wehavekids.com/education/Do-...etter-on-Tests
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=91
"Students whose parents both had a college degree performed better than those who had no parent with a college degree. However, this correlation is generally weaker for homeschool students than for public school students.

The homeschooled students whose parents did not have college degrees still performed at the 83rd percentile."

According to this study, homeschoolers have significantly higher test scores than the national average.
Of course the very conservative Homeschool data from their own groups has much higher and more complete (and honest) reports, which I did not post, due to 'confirmation bias' among our CTA 'professionals' here.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's already long term- since 2020
We are still in the early phases of the post-covid environment. I do not trust the current cultural reactions to many things.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Charter and private schools - they aren't all staying home doing nothing.
Charter and private schools had double digit increase in enrollment since 2020
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...r/72937532007/

Old 03-21-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
People who excel in those areas go into private industry - the pay, the benefits, the challenge
That has nothing to do with my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education