Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2024, 12:01 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
You definitely don't want to review the data! (and obviously you do not anyway) (No secret here for this poster )

https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/...ief-2015-2.pdf
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ794828.pdf
https://wehavekids.com/education/Do-...etter-on-Tests
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=91
"Students whose parents both had a college degree performed better than those who had no parent with a college degree. However, this correlation is generally weaker for homeschool students than for public school students.

The homeschooled students whose parents did not have college degrees still performed at the 83rd percentile."

According to this study, homeschoolers have significantly higher test scores than the national average.
Of course the very conservative Homeschool data from their own groups has much higher and more complete (and honest) reports, which I did not post, due to 'confirmation bias' among our CTA 'professionals' here.
Yeah, I see the homeschoolers in my town riding their skateboards up and down my street, sitting on the benches on the boardwalk and going to the FastStop for snacks from 8AM until dark every day.

Anybody that thinks that a large proportion of the non-returners to school are actually being homeschooled is delusional.

Over thirty plus years I taught a fairly large number of kids who'd been "homeschooled". Of all of them only one was actually "schooled", she came to school for the Calculus and lab courses we were offering (we still had Science teachers who did labs. That changed a few years later). The rest of them were just allowed to stay at home because their parents didn't want to bother getting them around when they hit middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 12:29 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, I see the homeschoolers in my town riding their skateboards up and down my street, sitting on the benches on the boardwalk and going to the FastStop for snacks from 8AM until dark every day.

Anybody that thinks that a large proportion of the non-returners to school are actually being homeschooled is delusional.

Over thirty plus years I taught a fairly large number of kids who'd been "homeschooled". Of all of them only one was actually "schooled", she came to school for the Calculus and lab courses we were offering (we still had Science teachers who did labs. That changed a few years later). The rest of them were just allowed to stay at home because their parents didn't want to bother getting them around when they hit middle school.
I saw things from a different perspective. I was principal of one of the 5 top middle schools in the state (out of over 500 middle schools in the state). And, we had a noted gifted/talented program (two, in fact). As a result, while we had a very few students leave our school to be home-schooled, we actually experienced more of the opposite -- parents sending their previously home-schooled kids back to our public school. And it was not at all unusual for those kids to need to catch up to where our students were in math and science.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I saw things from a different perspective. I was principal of one of the 5 top middle schools in the state (out of over 500 middle schools in the state). And, we had a noted gifted/talented program (two, in fact). As a result, while we had a very few students leave our school to be home-schooled, we actually experienced more of the opposite -- parents sending their previously home-schooled kids back to our public school. And it was not at all unusual for those kids to need to catch up to where our students were in math and science.
The vast majority of ours had to catch up in just about everything. As I mentioned, we had the one girl who didn't need it. The rest? Well they were behind.

Some of them would have remained being "homeschooled" if the Courts hadn't ordered them to school as a condition of probation.

I remember another one in particular whose mother was quite clear why he was back in school-she was afraid to leave him alone at the house.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:35 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Why are people assuming all those kids that didn't come back are being "homeschooled" ?

Do you not read that private and charter enrollments have been going up each year since 2020 ?

Old 03-21-2024, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Why are people assuming all those kids that didn't come back are being "homeschooled" ?

Do you not read that private and charter enrollments have been going up each year since 2020 ?
That claim was made by one of the more prolific posters.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:03 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Can't transport a failed burdensome educational system into the home, and expect different results than your trained, educated (?) professionals are taught (?) to deliver. Many students thrived during Covid (and many are never going back )

4 days / week of school, is 4 days too many in our household, and millions of our peers.
Show a link. There is no way you believe that crap. Absolutely none. Seriously, don't respond unless you have a link and not from some nutcase homeschool site.

Quote:
I hate to think of the "science" that many home schoolers are learning.
Considering how our society doesn't understand climate change, vaccination, and diseases it's pretty scary.

Quote:
Provide us with some data to support that...especially when you have to serve a thousand students in a school or 179,858 in a district.
This guy spins some fabulous yarns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Fortunately, there are many great reasons beyond BIS (butt-in-seat) for delivering a quality and effective education. As is very obvious in the WW
academic stats. You don't have to harness the students to a high number of classroom hours to convey learnings. Plenty do fine, (even excellent ) without classrooms.

No single formula works for all. Not to cattle, poultry, fish, swine, lamb, or even your students.
Yes, like your farming, entrepreneurial kids who went to free college in Europe.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:42 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

I teach in what would be considered a working class district that is about 60% lower income (free and reduced lunch) and about 1/3 Hispanic.

We, in fact, know where *most* of the students who are not showing up to school are actually going. Because the counselors have been doing one-on-one contact interviews to try to track these students down since the end of the pandemic. In other words, they call home and find out why the student isn't in school.

And no, it isn't charter schools, private schools, OR homeschooling. Mostly it is just that they aren't attending period. Older students are working or taking care of young siblings. Younger students just aren't showing up. Basically it is NO-SCHOOLING.

Because Washington's truancy laws are very relaxed there isn't much being done. And parents who get called to task for their children not being in school mostly just claim they are being homeschooled when we know that isn't the case. Since homeschooling is completely unregulated they can call anything "homeschooling" and that is that.

A big part of it is the lingering damage of the pandemic in my opinion. For a year or so we just got used to having no school (most of these kids just vanished during the pandemic and never did remote learning). And those new habits of not attending school are hard to break.

This year is somewhat better than last year I think. Although attendance seems to be tailing off this spring after being better last fall.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:12 AM

206 posts, read 134,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
We, in fact, know where *most* of the students who are not showing up to school are actually going. ... Basically it is NO-SCHOOLING.

Just like higher ed in USA is also suffering a significant enrollment decline. And several schools and many branches have closed or laid off staff.

Another result of pandemic response (and the government response). Some good, some bad results.

One thing about education, there are many decent options in today's WW access to all types of learning, including No Schooling.

A couple USA co-worker's kids are attending international schools (k-12), They intend to pursue international living and the USA schools did not offer the multicultural experiences and learnings they need to succeed beyond HS as international dwellers and students.

Friends living in SE Asia and in northern Europe had no lasting Covid impact on school registrations or attendance. (Those students will be part of the 'new' statistics - USA vs the rest of the world)

Old 03-22-2024, 06:46 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I teach in what would be considered a working class district that is about 60% lower income (free and reduced lunch) and about 1/3 Hispanic.

We, in fact, know where *most* of the students who are not showing up to school are actually going. Because the counselors have been doing one-on-one contact interviews to try to track these students down since the end of the pandemic. In other words, they call home and find out why the student isn't in school.

And no, it isn't charter schools, private schools, OR homeschooling. Mostly it is just that they aren't attending period. Older students are working or taking care of young siblings. Younger students just aren't showing up. Basically it is NO-SCHOOLING.

Because Washington's truancy laws are very relaxed there isn't much being done. And parents who get called to task for their children not being in school mostly just claim they are being homeschooled when we know that isn't the case. Since homeschooling is completely unregulated they can call anything "homeschooling" and that is that.

A big part of it is the lingering damage of the pandemic in my opinion. For a year or so we just got used to having no school (most of these kids just vanished during the pandemic and never did remote learning). And those new habits of not attending school are hard to break.

This year is somewhat better than last year I think. Although attendance seems to be tailing off this spring after being better last fall.
Some interesting questions that should be asked include "how has this changed the overall performance of the rest of the students in the school?" and "does it really make any difference in these kids' lives?' Are these the "A" students who aren't showing up or are these the "F" students who would be given a "D" just so the school can "graduate" them?

Old 03-22-2024, 07:56 AM

206 posts, read 134,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
...or are these the "F" students who would be given a "D" just so the school can "graduate" them?
BIG bucks to the school (state funding per student) to get enrollment back!!!

It's not an educational objective for the school to track them down. It's survival!, for the 'spending machine' Ca-Ching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education