Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 08:46 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
When it comes to hours in the day spent in the classroom, I'm not sure more hours per day would add much learning. Ultimately learning is limited by the status of your butt. You need time for other activity to loosen up and the clear you head so things can get in. At some point your incoming data buffer is full and nothing new gets in until the buffer is cleared out. And that data takes some time to transfer from the buffer into useful working abilities.

While I'd love to see more flexibility in scheduling with more time off for unstructured learning, I'm not sure the taxpayers could afford the massive increase in personnel and facilities it would take to run such a schedule.
Both very good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 08:56 AM

24 posts, read 5,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Developing a standard master schedule was challenging enough. I see your proposal as being nearly unmanageable.
Really? I would say it would be easier to schedule since you are spreading over a larger time frame so there is less clashing. Kids won’t have only one choice to have one particular class they will have several so can pick what’s convenient for them so less complaining over one particular inflexible timetable.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:04 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Developing a standard master schedule was challenging enough. I see your proposal as being nearly unmanageable.
Colleges are able to do it. You pick the best time/day for your class.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:28 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
No, the schools that have implemented it went to 10 hour days, 4 days a week.
That's too long a day for kids! Especially little ones, 10 hours?? The attention span probably wanes after 6-7 hours

Old 03-05-2024, 09:32 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimijel View Post
Really? I would say it would be easier to schedule since you are spreading over a larger time frame so there is less clashing. Kids won’t have only one choice to have one particular class they will have several so can pick what’s convenient for them so less complaining over one particular inflexible timetable.
Maybe. What is probably more likely to happen is that the class period time would be extended.

The downside to a longer day, and you can see it at all levels, is that by the end of the day the kids are fried, especially Elementary ones. They'll fall asleep on the bus.

They get a little bit better as they get older but most teachers will tell you that the most difficult class of the day, in general, is last period, it doesn't matter what the class level.

High school as it's set up, and always has been set up, actually makes learning more difficult due to the structure of running from one class to the next without any downtime between. What you learn in the second class drowns out what you just learned in the first one because that information doesn't have time to percolate into long term memory.

You see that at testing; a kid studies for two tests and he remembers what he studied for the second and forgets most of what he did for the first due to lack of rehearsal time in short term memory to transfer it to long term.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That's too long a day for kids! Especially little ones, 10 hours?? The attention span probably wanes after 6-7 hours
Sit in a staff meeting sometime. The best of us were good for a half hour or forty minutes. Most teachers lost it after ten.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:34 AM

I think the idea would be that additional ECs would also be included. So maybe a Gym teacher coach’s a football practice 9-11 am so kids can choose to go then instead of only “ after school” 3-5 pmlike now. Some with attendance issues might find that honey of early sports appealing.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I think the idea would be that additional ECs would also be included. So maybe a Gym teacher coach’s a football practice 9-11 am so kids can choose to go then instead of only “ after school” 3-5 pmlike now. Some with attendance issues might find that honey of early sports appealing.
Yeah, let's have football/basketball/wrestling practice in the morning and send the players to class all day without a shower (because they now refuse to take them at school).

Many states have a seat-hours or minutes requirement so practices probably wouldn't count in that.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:44 AM

I think that teenage crush’s will quickly rectify any cases of not showering after sports. They definitely did in my day

Old 03-05-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I think that teenage crush’s will quickly rectify any cases of not showering after sports. They definitely did in my day
They don't now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education