Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2024, 07:01 AM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Reputation: 12699

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Remember, they/we don't teach Civics any longer. The name has changed, in Maryland to Local, State and National Government but it's not called "Civics" so it's not taught.

Or Home Economics. That's now called Family and Consumer Science but not Home Ec so it's not taught. And let's not forget Sewing which is now Fashion Design (where the students design and make their own clothes). But it's not called "Sewing".
Many of the schools in Western PA teach civics. Some districts have it for a full year in 8th grade. Others have a semester of civics and a semester of economics, typically in 12th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2024, 07:57 AM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Reputation: 60911
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Many of the schools in Western PA teach civics. Some districts have it for a full year in 8th grade. Others have a semester of civics and a semester of economics, typically in 12th grade.
I know that. But if you read some of the posters here they'll swear that Civics isn't taught. Most times it's because of a name change in the class and a lack of knowledge of what the curriculum is.

I had one parent come in one time with her hair on fire and her ass catching because her kid was a Senior and hadn't taken Civics and wouldn't graduate because of it.

In fact the kid had taken Local, State and National Government (required for graduation. You know, "Civics") in 11th Grade and was now in the second quarter of AP US Government and Politics as a Senior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2024, 08:34 AM
 
Location: A coal patch in Pennsyltucky
10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Reputation: 12699
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I know that. But if you read some of the posters here they'll swear that Civics isn't taught. Most times it's because of a name change in the class and a lack of knowledge of what the curriculum is.

I had one parent come in one time with her hair on fire and her ass catching because her kid was a Senior and hadn't taken Civics and wouldn't graduate because of it.

In fact the kid had taken Local, State and National Government (required for graduation. You know, "Civics") in 11th Grade and was now in the second quarter of AP US Government and Politics as a Senior.
I remember I had civics for three 9-week periods and PA history for one 9-week period in 9th grade. My senior year I had Problems of Democracy (P.O.D.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2024, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Reputation: 32903
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Remember, they/we don't teach Civics any longer. The name has changed, in Maryland to Local, State and National Government but it's not called "Civics" so it's not taught.

Or Home Economics. That's now called Family and Consumer Science but not Home Ec so it's not taught. And let's not forget Sewing which is now Fashion Design (where the students design and make their own clothes). But it's not called "Sewing".
You're probably right on that. I'm sure it's changed by now, but "home ec" in my school was "teen living". The names do change to fit the times...or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top