Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 07:01 AM

10,372 posts, read 10,767,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Remember, they/we don't teach Civics any longer. The name has changed, in Maryland to Local, State and National Government but it's not called "Civics" so it's not taught.

Or Home Economics. That's now called Family and Consumer Science but not Home Ec so it's not taught. And let's not forget Sewing which is now Fashion Design (where the students design and make their own clothes). But it's not called "Sewing".
Many of the schools in Western PA teach civics. Some districts have it for a full year in 8th grade. Others have a semester of civics and a semester of economics, typically in 12th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 07:57 AM

45,791 posts, read 61,201,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Many of the schools in Western PA teach civics. Some districts have it for a full year in 8th grade. Others have a semester of civics and a semester of economics, typically in 12th grade.
I know that. But if you read some of the posters here they'll swear that Civics isn't taught. Most times it's because of a name change in the class and a lack of knowledge of what the curriculum is.

I had one parent come in one time with her hair on fire and her ass catching because her kid was a Senior and hadn't taken Civics and wouldn't graduate because of it.

In fact the kid had taken Local, State and National Government (required for graduation. You know, "Civics") in 11th Grade and was now in the second quarter of AP US Government and Politics as a Senior.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:34 AM

10,372 posts, read 10,767,797 times
Quote:
I know that. But if you read some of the posters here they'll swear that Civics isn't taught. Most times it's because of a name change in the class and a lack of knowledge of what the curriculum is.

I had one parent come in one time with her hair on fire and her ass catching because her kid was a Senior and hadn't taken Civics and wouldn't graduate because of it.

In fact the kid had taken Local, State and National Government (required for graduation. You know, "Civics") in 11th Grade and was now in the second quarter of AP US Government and Politics as a Senior.
I remember I had civics for three 9-week periods and PA history for one 9-week period in 9th grade. My senior year I had Problems of Democracy (P.O.D.).

Old 04-10-2024, 10:15 AM

51,440 posts, read 24,801,090 times
Quote:
Remember, they/we don't teach Civics any longer. The name has changed, in Maryland to Local, State and National Government but it's not called "Civics" so it's not taught.

Or Home Economics. That's now called Family and Consumer Science but not Home Ec so it's not taught. And let's not forget Sewing which is now Fashion Design (where the students design and make their own clothes). But it's not called "Sewing".
You're probably right on that. I'm sure it's changed by now, but "home ec" in my school was "teen living". The names do change to fit the times...or not.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

872 posts, read 492,692 times
Also, it’s my understanding that sex education is traditionally part of any of the following (but not limited to) the following classes:

1. Science (rather ambiguous, but technically, any grade level can have a science course)

2. Anatomy and Physiology - upperclassmen.

3. Health class, as opposed but similar to A&P.

4. Biology - underclassmen.

5. When P.E. Includes a classroom component, instead of being solely, well, physical, sex education is sometimes included therein.

My public schooling had it as part of the science program in grades 5-8, as a part of biology in grade 9, a more technical teaching of it in junior year as part of A&P, and then I was not taught it in senior year, as a result of the selection of classes I chose.

Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM

5,597 posts, read 7,886,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
Also, it’s my understanding that sex education is traditionally part of any of the following (but not limited to) the following classes:

1. Science (rather ambiguous, but technically, any grade level can have a science course)

2. Anatomy and Physiology - upperclassmen.

3. Health class, as opposed but similar to A&P.

4. Biology - underclassmen.

5. When P.E. Includes a classroom component, instead of being solely, well, physical, sex education is sometimes included therein.

My public schooling had it as part of the science program in grades 5-8, as a part of biology in grade 9, and then I was not taught it any further as a result of the selection of classes I chose.
These days in most states, sex education is part of health class which is a required course in MS and HS.

Sex education is not a part of the curriculum of any general science class that I am aware of for K-8 education. These days a majority of states follow the NGSS science standards and they don't cover sex education anywhere. That is not to say there isn't some elementary teacher somewhere who gets deep into the birds and the bees with her 3rd grade class. But it isn't part of any elementary science standard that I'm aware of.

Anatomy and Physiology is a rarely taught science elective. Most schools don't even offer it. And while it would cover some anatomical aspects of sexual reproduction. It would cover none of the social aspects. Which are really the most important part of sex education. More common upper level science electives are the AP science classes, environmental science, astronomy, and tech/engineering classes, and biomed or health sciences classes.

Biology which I teach does not cover sex ed. The closest we come is cellular reproduction (mitosis and meiosis) which is more about genetics and has nothing to do with the social aspects of sex education.
'
These days health and PE are separate classes even though they are sometimes taught by the same teacher. PE classes at the HS level tend to be more specialized. Where I teach you can take powerlifting, yoga, aerobics, pilates, dance, running, or general PE which is mostly rotating sports.

Here in Washington, Sex Education is a very specific and prescribed curriculum that is always part of health class. It is not something that teachers generally "wing" or do informally. I expect it is the same in most other states.

Last edited by texasdiver; Yesterday at 10:04 PM..

Old Today, 02:53 AM

872 posts, read 492,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
These days in most states, sex education is part of health class which is a required course in MS and HS.

Sex education is not a part of the curriculum of any general science class that I am aware of for K-8 education. These days a majority of states follow the NGSS science standards and they don't cover sex education anywhere. That is not to say there isn't some elementary teacher somewhere who gets deep into the birds and the bees with her 3rd grade class. But it isn't part of any elementary science standard that I'm aware of.

Anatomy and Physiology is a rarely taught science elective. Most schools don't even offer it. And while it would cover some anatomical aspects of sexual reproduction. It would cover none of the social aspects. Which are really the most important part of sex education. More common upper level science electives are the AP science classes, environmental science, astronomy, and tech/engineering classes, and biomed or health sciences classes.

Biology which I teach does not cover sex ed. The closest we come is cellular reproduction (mitosis and meiosis) which is more about genetics and has nothing to do with the social aspects of sex education.
'
These days health and PE are separate classes even though they are sometimes taught by the same teacher. PE classes at the HS level tend to be more specialized. Where I teach you can take powerlifting, yoga, aerobics, pilates, dance, running, or general PE which is mostly rotating sports.

Here in Washington, Sex Education is a very specific and prescribed curriculum that is always part of health class. It is not something that teachers generally "wing" or do informally. I expect it is the same in most other states.
Well, it’s not done the way it is in Washington everywhere, especially Florida, where I went to school. And A&P is not an elective in Florida nor rarely taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education