Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 10:48 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Seems like a silly rule that ironically and hypocritically claims to be about creating a safe space for all children while failing to account for those students who might be in a more happy and safe place because of music. Fundamentally, I have a problem with this for the same reason why I have a problem with a school changing its entire menu to be halal; it's essentially forcing sharia law on everyone. I'm all for religious freedom and granting students of all backgrounds some flexibility to follow their faith, whether this is setting aside a space to pray for students (be they Muslim, Christian or other) or looking into the feasibility of having certain prepared foods available (e.g. kosher or halal) on a limited basis to serve those in need (might not be a limited basis if the student body is overwhelmingly Jewish or Muslim for an example). But enforcing religious edicts on everyone (to be clear, many Muslims believe that musical instruments are forbidden under Islamic law) is ridiculous to me and doesn't even pretend to respect the beliefs of the non-Muslim students.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:49 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yes they do.

In fact most academic calendars make Christian holy days into official holidays. Two weeks off for the entire Christmas season of advent, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. Which also corresponds to Hanukah. And most schools typically provide Good Friday off as well. They don't call it a religious holiday but it is typically a snow makeup day or some such so Easter Weekend is always a 3-day holiday.

Most school districts and states also never schedule events on Sundays either. Games and such are often scheduled for Saturdays but not Sundays.

It is just so normal that you don't even recognize it as accommodating Christianity.
And I will say that those posters who are not principals...even teachers (although you get plenty of parent conferences on other topics!!!)...don't have to sit in the FREQUENT conferences and often angry rants with parents who are frustrated because the school system calendar does not reflect Jewish holy days, Muslim holy days, etc. I'm sorry to have to say this, but we had quite a few teachers who ignored county directives not to schedule tests or field trips on religious hoy days of those various religions...and that put me in more angry parent conferences.

But I'll relate a story about this insensitivity. I've told this before, but perhaps it's worth repeating. In our system, middle school chorus was not an activity, it was an elective course (full year). Each year the superintendent would send a letter to all teachers and other staff members about remembering that we had a multicultural school system, and that teachers should strive to do nothing that would appear to favor one religion over another. And each year I would call our choral teacher down to my office to remind her about that. And I would tell her that her "winter concerts" sooner or later would hit the fan because she always required the singing of christmas carols. And for several years nothing happened. But I knew it would. And one year, the day after the "winter concert"...ten days before christmas...a Muslim mother came in to rant and sob (you know...the kind of sobbing that you see in some third world countries when people have died)...and this conference went on for nearly 30 minutes because her Muslim daughter had been required to learn and sing christian carols. Finally I went down to the choral teachers classroom, had a vice-principal cover the class, and had the choral teacher come up to my office to hear the mother's complaint. It was another half hour of anger, sobbing, and ranting by the Muslim mother. All because the choral teacher had ignored the directives of the superintendent and myself. After the Muslim mother finally left, the choral teacher actually said, "Why did I have to listen to that?" "Because your ignoring the school system policy caused the problem...an issue you have been warned about repeatedly". There was...sort of...a happy ending to the story. During the following school years, the choral teacher went out of her way to find songs of various faiths that were performed throughout the year at the different choral concerts.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:55 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yes they do.

In fact most academic calendars make Christian holy days into official holidays. Two weeks off for the entire Christmas season of advent, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. Which also corresponds to Hanukah. And most schools typically provide Good Friday off as well. They don't call it a religious holiday but it is typically a snow makeup day or some such so Easter Weekend is always a 3-day holiday.

Most school districts and states also never schedule events on Sundays either. Games and such are often scheduled for Saturdays but not Sundays.

It is just so normal that you don't even recognize it as accommodating Christianity.
Correction: The Christian season of Advent is the 4-week period preceding Christmas. The traditional 10-day public school "Christmas vacation" period usually ends with kids going back to school on January 2. The liturgical Christmas season lasts from the evening of Christmas Eve to Epiphany Eve (Jan 5), or Twelfth Night as Shakespeare would call it.

In 2024 many holidays are secular traditions; time off that people look forward to even if they haven't darkened the doors of a church since their baptism. Muslims just don't have the cultural weight in most areas, just yet, to get days off for their holidays. But in most big cities and parts of Michigan and Minnesota they do. I'd rather see school closed for a couple of days than to see music banned for a month.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:35 AM

6,555 posts, read 8,381,935 times
The link below explains that it's how an individual interprets the Qu'ran on whether music is a no-no during Ramadan.

If I were in your shoes, OP. I would gather a few more reputable sources that indicate it's okay to play music at a low/soft volume and then I would take that information to admin and ask that you be permitted to continue to play music but maybe you'll play soft, soothing music and limit it to when the kids are doing independent work and your door is closed so that it doesn't broadcast outside your classroom.

IMO, that's a fair compromise.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/03/10/can-l...%20same%20time

Old 03-12-2024, 12:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Thread closed. Xenophobia is not welcome here. The OP was an objective question, but due to some posters this thread turned nasty.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education