Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2024, 03:42 PM
 
1,501 posts, read 1,679,529 times
Reputation: 3701

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Your 94 year old mother made between $2.7 million and $4.5 million in PROFIT by flipping 9 executive homes on golf courses in AZ, NV, and NM as a hobby? While slinging a sledge hammer and laying pavers herself?

OK, if you say so.
In the last 15 years you could buy a house and sell it 3-6 months later for a profit without lifting a finger. Lots of people confused the market rising as a sign they were skilled in flipping houses rather than just being lucky with investing at the right time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2024, 04:09 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
27,652 posts, read 28,750,671 times
Reputation: 25241
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
But the majority of people in this country inhabit the huge economic space somewhere in-between wealthy and barely-getting-by.

They work at jobs, pay the bills, and try to put aside a little bit for the future. To have an income that's enough for a simple, secure living -- while enjoying the work it entails -- that's a nice dream.

If I'd have had that in my working years, I wouldn't have wanted more $$$.
It would be nice if we could have a working definition of a "dream job."

The median annual income of all Americans in 2023 was about $48,000.

So, if a person makes $48,000 a year doing something they truly enjoy, would that be considered a dream job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2024, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,946 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Reputation: 33014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It would be nice if we could have a working definition of a "dream job."

The median annual income of all Americans in 2023 was about $48,000.

So, if a person makes $48,000 a year doing something they truly enjoy, would that be considered a dream job?
Wow! I'm comparatively rich and retired! A dream job.

Of course, on the other hand, my starter townhouse which I bought circa 1983 for $151,000 is on the market today for $800,000. Oops...nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2024, 07:06 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times
Reputation: 46265
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It would be nice if we could have a working definition of a "dream job."

The median annual income of all Americans in 2023 was about $48,000.

So, if a person makes $48,000 a year doing something they truly enjoy, would that be considered a dream job?
Many I work with enjoy their dream job below $4,800 / yr.

Often dream jobs pay zero. (Those managing philanthropy / family foundations / trust funds...). Some CEOs take minimal salaries, because they financially need nothing more than they already have. Buffet has only drawn $100k / yr for 40 yrs, just to cover his Egg McMuffins. He enjoys his "dream job", as do most. Salary or not.

Crybabies do not yet have their dream job. Those of us still meeting payroll recognize that gap quite clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2024, 08:50 PM
 
Location: WA
5,477 posts, read 7,771,679 times
Reputation: 8585
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Crybabies do not yet have their dream job. Those of us still meeting payroll recognize that gap quite clearly.
My dream job most definitely does not involve "meeting payroll"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2024, 10:03 PM
 
2,116 posts, read 1,053,525 times
Reputation: 6410
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It would be nice if we could have a working definition of a "dream job."

The median annual income of all Americans in 2023 was about $48,000.

So, if a person makes $48,000 a year doing something they truly enjoy, would that be considered a dream job?
There can be no one definition of a "dream job". To go farther, define "job". Does it mean being employed by someone else, or is it just a task one takes on in order to participate in society?

My dream "job" isn't based on money at all, it's never been a motivator for me. My dream is freedom, flexibility, and limited social interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2024, 05:37 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
27,652 posts, read 28,750,671 times
Reputation: 25241
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
There can be no one definition of a "dream job". To go farther, define "job". Does it mean being employed by someone else, or is it just a task one takes on in order to participate in society?

My dream "job" isn't based on money at all, it's never been a motivator for me. My dream is freedom, flexibility, and limited social interaction.
Given the reality that 99% of humans need to work in some manner to make a living, I assume that money has some level of importance for people.

Most people also get married and/or have children at some point in their lives. Therefore, the ability to buy a house, own a car, live in a good neighborhood, afford good schools, etc., become considerations if you are seeking freedom and flexibility.

Of course, you can't afford those things if the income isn't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2024, 07:29 AM
 
34 posts, read 16,498 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Given the reality that 99% of humans need to work in some manner to make a living, I assume that money has some level of importance for people.

Most people also get married and/or have children at some point in their lives. Therefore, the ability to buy a house, own a car, live in a good neighborhood, afford good schools, etc., become considerations if you are seeking freedom and flexibility.

Of course, you can't afford those things if the income isn't there.
I couldn't agree more. Only the incredibly lucky ones can shape their future around their dream job. For most of us, factors like money are relevant if not crucial (especially in the context of having a family/children).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2024, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Northern California
4,665 posts, read 3,030,820 times
Reputation: 8487
Maybe here's a way of identifying a dream job:

A job you'd want to do even if you'd just won a big lottery prize
(so that pay was no longer a factor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2024, 11:03 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Reputation: 116209
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Maybe here's a way of identifying a dream job:

A job you'd want to do even if you'd just won a big lottery prize
(so that pay was no longer a factor).
Wouldn't a dream job be one that would allow you to do something you enjoy, but pay you enough to make at least a decent living? Not sure how one can separate pay out of the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top