Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 08:35 PM

50,855 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Everyone who I know needed college degrees to work in their "Dream Jobs". And it is good to remember, dreams change and 17–18-year-olds are not known for their enduring life choices.

Just get a BA from anywhere and get over it. It's the new High School Diploma.
Not really since less than 40% of the people gets a BA or BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 09:49 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/yo...repreneur-saysPretty interesting

College education isn't for everyone. There are very successful outcomes aot there
Let's start over. Please address the topic. No snarky name calling.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:38 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
What I've been telling my kids is to first figure out what it is they want to do, something that matches their talents and interests, then plot a path for how they will get there. If college is on that path then it's worth going, if it's not on that path then it doesn't need to be a priority. Absent some sort of major scholarship college is too expensive to just go to for the sake of going nowadays. Go in pursuit of a specific goal, but not just to say you got a degree.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:10 PM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
What I've been telling my kids is to first figure out what it is they want to do, something that matches their talents and interests, then plot a path for how they will get there. If college is on that path then it's worth going, if it's not on that path then it doesn't need to be a priority. Absent some sort of major scholarship college is too expensive to just go to for the sake of going nowadays. Go in pursuit of a specific goal, but not just to say you got a degree.
Common sense at work here.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Common sense at work here.
What's common sense to one person often isn't common sense to another person.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:15 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post

College isn't just about saying you got a degree or even just about getting a certain job. If a student really takes advantage of what a college campus offers, there is a tremendous opportunity for personal growth, broadened knowledge and experiences that they wouldn't have anywhere else. It is a lot to ask of most 18-year-olds to set their specific life goal and, if they can't, to just brush off college. If they are interested and have the ability, in my family, we support going to college. Of course, in a financially smart way.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:20 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
College isn't just about saying you got a degree or even just about getting a certain job. If a student really takes advantage of what a college campus offers, there is a tremendous opportunity for personal growth, broadened knowledge and experiences that they wouldn't have anywhere else. It is a lot to ask of most 18-year-olds to set their specific life goal and, if they can't, to just brush off college. If they are interested and have the ability, in my family, we support going to college. Of course, in a financially smart way.
Very good post! Plus one.!!!!

Old 03-26-2024, 10:05 PM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Which is fine if you can afford to do it. But how many families, esp first gen college students, can afford to attend college just for personal growth, knowledge, and experience if they don't have a plan for what they are going to do with it afterward? Without a plan, what do they major in? What courses do they take? What internships do they get?

Old 03-26-2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Which is fine if you can afford to do it. But how many families, esp first gen college students, can afford to attend college just for personal growth, knowledge, and experience if they don't have a plan for what they are going to do with it afterward? Without a plan, what do they major in? What courses do they take? What internships do they get?
It isn't "just for". It's more of a side benefit.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:07 AM

835 posts, read 478,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What's common sense to one person often isn't common sense to another person.
Which is probably why schools should probably stop pushing the “everyone goes to college” mentality, if they haven’t already.

I am shocked that we are years and years past the NCLB, but that to some extent, “one size fits all tactics” are still in existence, despite mountains of scholarly evidence that they are ineffective. Old habits die hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education