Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 08:02 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times

Advertisements

I had a successful career as a salesman and later an executive and never went to college. The few times someone has asked my about my education, I say I am self educated - an autodidact.
But I was born with the latitude and desire to work in a world where the only thing that counted was results. In fact, I actively sought out a career in sales.

There are still many companies out there who leave the work up to colleges, and do not recognize individual effort or even individual accomplishments.
I avoided those companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 12:42 PM

50,855 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
Which is probably why schools should probably stop pushing the “everyone goes to college” mentality, if they haven’t already.

I am shocked that we are years and years past the NCLB, but that to some extent, “one size fits all tactics” are still in existence, despite mountains of scholarly evidence that they are ineffective. Old habits die hard.
It wasn't one size fits all. We didn't expect equal results from our regular ed kids, our special ed kids, and our gifted ed kids.

But I'll tell you one thing that we discovered at our school...which btw was in the top 10% of the state...in fact, often in the top 5%. That the NCLB test scores for our special ed kids were at a certain level in elementary school, then dropped significantly at our school, then went back up when they went on to high school.

And just in case you're implying NCLB was a liberal pipe dream, it was instituted by the Bush administration and ended under the Obama administration.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Not spending tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a degree that has little or no market value should be common sense to everybody.

(unless they are among the very few who have so much money to begin with that it doesn’t matter)
Everything in life is not about money.

But keep in mind that "The earnings gap between college graduates and those with less education continues to widen. In 2023, median income for recent graduates reached $60,000 a year for bachelor's degree holders aged 22–27. For high school graduates the same age, median earnings are $36,000 a year."

Old 03-27-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Why would anybody go to college for a 4-year degree that has little or no marketable value in the first place, let alone spend $80,000 on it?

Regardless of how it is financed

That is the question I have asked on a number of threads, but nobody seems to want to answer it.
I don't know why is this so difficult for you to understand.

Some people have a goal of wanting to work in a job or profession that requires a college degree. I had 3 options coming out of college -- I could have been a computer programmer, a working geologist or hydrologist, or an earth science teacher. I chose the latter because I wanted to teach as a noble profession.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:57 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't know why is this so difficult for you to understand.

Some people have a goal of wanting to work in a job or profession that requires a college degree. I had 3 options coming out of college -- I could have been a computer programmer, a working geologist or hydrologist, or an earth science teacher. I chose the latter because I wanted to teach as a noble profession.
To be a teacher, you generally need to have a bachelor degree in education, right?

So, that would not be an example of a degree that has little or no market value.

Any degree or course of education that is a requirement for a specific job, career or profession is by definition a marketable degree.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:06 PM

Quote:
To be a teacher, you generally need to have a bachelor degree in education, right?

So, that would not be an example of a degree that has little or no market value.

Any degree or course of education that is a requirement for a specific job, career or profession is by definition a marketable degree.
You seem very limited to any perspective that does not revolve around $$$.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
You seem very limited to any perspective that does not revolve around $$$.
College is a money-making industry.

It is has a hefty price tag in the United States.

Not only that, but a person also spends 4 years of their life pursuing a bachelor degree. There is an opportunity cost associated with that.

So yes, ROI naturally has to be a major consideration. There is nothing limited about that.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
College is a money-making industry.

It is has a hefty price tag in the United States.

Not only that, but a person also spends 4 years of their life pursuing a bachelor degree. There is an opportunity cost associated with that.

So yes, ROI naturally has to be a major consideration. There is nothing limited about that.
You don't seem to get it, and that's okay.

I don't get the guys who work on the garbage trucks here...and most have been for 5 years.
I don't get the high school grad who is stacking apples in the produce department of the local Safeway.
I don't get the guy who is 50 years old and is still working on a yard/lawn crew.

and so on

Old 03-27-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
You don't seem to get it, and that's okay.
You seem to be suggesting it is okay to spend $80,000 or even $200,000 on a degree that doesn't get you a good job or career as long as you can end up reading Homer in the original Greek and recite it backwards or something like that.

It's the educational value that matters even if you end up heavily in debt and can't pay off your student loan.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
You seem to be suggesting it is okay to spend $80,000 or even $200,000 on a degree that doesn't get you a good job or career as long as you can end up reading Homer in the original Greek and recite it backwards or something like that.

It's the educational value that matters even if you end up heavily in debt and can't pay off your student loan.
Let me look at that post where I talked about reading Homer in the original Greek...oh wait...I didn't say any such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education