Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,800 posts, read 58,310,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not just High School students
...m.
It's also your $50/hr + employees, and customers who are utilizing your $50/ hr employees.

+/-... Productive Tool or distraction.

Need a usage tracker, with disincentives.

"As a student, additional hours stuck in the indoor detention of their scornful prison camp.

As employees, auto payroll deduction for personal phone usage on the job.

For relationships. IOU more of myself, and far less distractions.

Move to rural America if we want to wean from cell signal and Internet technology. Or pay a Musk ransom. (And trust you'll never need support). It's magic, worked fine at the factory..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:20 AM

11,858 posts, read 6,209,783 times
This is why Florida just passed a law prohibiting cell phones in school during the school day. Phones seen in use during the school day will be confiscated.

Being a law means it is uniform and no single teacher has to be a "bad guy". If it is just school policy, then students will negotiate with teachers or ignore them. Being a law, the teacher has a foundation of "it is not my rule, I am just enforcing state law".

Parents were vastly in support.

Florida also has banned social media for children under 16. Parents love that law as well.

Modern society is allowing a lot of dangerous practices that harm people and society, even if they seem fun or well intented. We need to go back in time a little bit if we are not going to have a massive mental health crisis. Oops, seems we already do.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

6,814 posts, read 2,942,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
This is why Florida just passed a law prohibiting cell phones in school during the school day. Phones seen in use during the school day will be confiscated.

Being a law means it is uniform and no single teacher has to be a "bad guy". If it is just school policy, then students will negotiate with teachers or ignore them. Being a law, the teacher has a foundation of "it is not my rule, I am just enforcing state law".

Really? The supportive parents couldn't enforce their own rules and so rely on "the law" to do it for them?

Quote:
Florida also has banned social media for children under 16. Parents love that law as well.
Yes, I'm sure they do. Let "the law" take away any responsibility from themselves. We don't want Jimmy/Susie thinking that it's mom and dad that's enforcing the rules, now do we? Sickening!

Quote:
Modern society is allowing a lot of dangerous practices that harm people and society, even if they seem fun or well intented. We need to go back in time a little bit if we are not going to have a massive mental health crisis. Oops, seems we already do.
Yes. Phone addiction by MOST young people (not to mention their parents) and the associated potential as well as the already realized mental health issues affecting SO many in this country was a special feature on tonight's TV news on Australia's Channel 10. As in the U.S. Australian parents are leaving it to the government to raise their kids for them by enforcing rules that they (the parents) are incapable/reluctant of enforcing. Pathetic!

Old Today, 08:34 AM

12,106 posts, read 8,501,729 times
I've heard so many stories like this not just from teachers but also employers.

A teacher I know who was excellent finally quit her job because she told me she was helpless to compete with cell phones.

Old Today, 09:04 AM

8,076 posts, read 3,980,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't understand why the school didn't have a policy school wide (or even district wide) dealing with cell phones.
Fighting the battle of this addiction is too much for a teacher to do by him/herself.
The article said parents are against it.

In a separate article a couple months ago, I recall reading that parents are against cell phone bans for many reasons. They want to send a text message to their kid reminding them to turn in their homework, reminding them to ask a fellow student for something, reminding them of a club meeting, telling them their father will pick them up or the neighbor will pick them up, etc. etc. They also want kids to be able to notify parents and police in the event of a shooter. etc.

Last edited by moguldreamer; Today at 09:18 AM..

Old Today, 09:09 AM

17,512 posts, read 16,677,897 times
By the time a kid is old enough to be bringing a cellphone to school with them, they are already tracking a certain way in school. I would imagine that these fed up teachers were dealing with kids who were not exactly college material and likely did not have parents that would reinforce cell phone rules.

I can tell you that if one my kids' teachers had let us know that our kid was not following class rules and would not stay off their phone when asked to put it away, that kid would no longer have had a phone to play with. We would have replaced it with a bare bones Trac flip phone so that all they could do is send and receive calls.

Old Today, 09:22 AM

51,067 posts, read 24,563,121 times
Quote:

It bothers me that parents' rights are being taken away here.

Old Today, 10:04 AM

17,512 posts, read 16,677,897 times
That Florida law apparently bans cellphone usage in school during instructional time and blocks student access to Wi-Fi on school campus. It also requires schools to teach students about how social media influences people.

Basically, kids are not allowed to play on their phone during class and surf the internet in school. That sounds quite reasonable to me.

I don't see anything indicating that they can't text during lunch or breaks which is the only time I, as a parent, would have been texting my kids anyway - "Are you staying late today for practice?", "How did the math test go?", etc

Old Today, 10:10 AM

8,076 posts, read 3,980,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It bothers me that parents' rights are being taken away here.
Please refer to the US Constitution and the State Constitution in question.

Which constitutional right, exactly, is being taken away? Be specific.

Old Today, 10:30 AM

202 posts, read 65,621 times
Makes me wonder how I survived school in the '70s and '80s without a phone.

I leave my phone in the car a couple days a week while in work just because.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education