Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

51,068 posts, read 24,571,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Please refer to the US Constitution and the State Constitution in question.

Which constitutional right, exactly, is being taken away? Be specific.
You don't think a parent should be the person deciding whether their children can use social media?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

17,512 posts, read 16,685,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You don't think a parent should be the person deciding whether their children can use social media?
If the parent wants their kid to have unfettered access to social media during school then the parent should be homeschooling their kid.

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

4,744 posts, read 3,063,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You could start a no-cell-phones social group! I'll join it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Yeah, I'd be the only member. Kind of like a misanthrope support group...
nobody would show up because they all hate people. LOL
Well, there are "introvert / loner" groups on Facebook...
and people join them.... does that mean they aren't actually loners?

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If the parent wants their kid to have unfettered access to social media during school then the parent should be homeschooling their kid.
Excuse me. That's not what I'm talking about. I am all for no cell phones in school (although that was a losing battle even when I was principal from 2001-2008.

This is what I'm talking about: https://www.flgov.com/2024/03/25/gov...Ron%20DeSantis.

Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

2,203 posts, read 1,107,234 times
How about no cell phones in the workplace either? Adults are just as bad as kids, spending way too much time distracted by the dings and alerts on their phone while on the clock. Back in the old days, were people getting called at work fifty times a day by friends and family, just to say things like "I'm bored, what are you doing?" or talk about dinner plans? They were not.

I was training a new hire once, he was older than me, maybe 50ish. He was sitting beside me and every time I turned my head toward him as I was speaking he was looking down at his phone, tapping and scrolling away. First day on the job! I voiced my displeasure and that guy was let go within two weeks. Zero attention span.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Excuse me. That's not what I'm talking about. I am all for no cell phones in school (although that was a losing battle even when I was principal from 2001-2008.

This is what I'm talking about: https://www.flgov.com/2024/03/25/gov...Ron%20DeSantis.
That law sounds reasonable to me. Kids under 14 can use social media under their parent provided accounts if they really must be on it. And kids 14-15 would need to have parental permission to have their own social media account(s).

Given the fact that predators prey on children via social media it makes good sense that their parents should be responsible for monitoring and supervising their children's social media usage.

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

2,203 posts, read 1,107,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Well, there are "introvert / loner" groups on Facebook...
and people join them.... does that mean they aren't actually loners?
Probably not, and that sounds like hell to me.

One reason I joined a book club is because I thought I'd be in a group of quieter people who like to read books, and actually discuss the book. Wrong-o. Half of them aren't actually reading the books, but listening to them on Audible while multi-tasking. Fine, I'm not against audio books. But that always leads to the phones being whipped out and then all these random distractions and side topics emerge...and I'm out. This heavy mind can't handle it.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

Quote:
That law sounds reasonable to me. Kids under 14 can use social media under their parent provided accounts if they really must be on it. And kids 14-15 would need to have parental permission to have their own social media account(s).

Given the fact that predators prey on children via social media it makes good sense that their parents should be responsible for monitoring and supervising their children's social media usage.
And, the parents should be responsible for deciding when their children can have a social media account...not Ron DeSantis.

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

Quote:
And, the parents should be responsible for deciding when their children can have a social media account...not Ron DeSantis.
The law only says that a child can not have their own social media account. If the parents want their kid to be on social media they will need to establish the account for the kid. That seems very reasonable to me. Parents should be monitoring and supervising their children's social media usage.

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

Quote:
The law only says that a child can not have their own social media account. If the parents want their kid to be on social media they will need to establish the account for the kid. That seems very reasonable to me. Parents should be monitoring and supervising their children's social media usage.
That's up to the parents, not big government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education