Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 03:46 PM

6,667 posts, read 3,300,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There is some truth to what you say.

But there's also a problem with it. I can't tell you how many families (over time) we had in our schools (both in Prince Georges County, Maryland and yes, even in Fairfax County, Virginia) -- mostly Black and Latino (El Salvadorian) -- who were quite poor where the father worked a regular 8 hour job and then a part time job...and the same for the mother. It was one of the reasons we had such a terrible time getting some parents in for parent conferences, because a parent conference meant they had to take time off from work, which would reduce money for rent and groceries. It's why I sometimes would simply go to a student's apartment at some very specific time to meet with a parent, even very late in the evening or on a Saturday or Sunday.
Just out of curiosity, how many children were in the families that you refer to? Call me prejudiced, but over the course of my lifetime (I'm about to turn 72), it appeared to me that many of the people who could least afford it, had the most children. In other words, they created their own problems, then wondered why they were in that situation.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2024, 03:50 PM

51,469 posts, read 24,822,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many children were in the families that you refer to? Call me prejudiced, but over the course of my lifetime (I'm about to turn 72), it appeared to me that many of the people who could least afford it, had the most children. In other words, they created their own problems, then wondered why they were in that situation.......
I don't recall any having over 2

Old 06-07-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I don't recall any having over 2
If that was indeed the case, then something was wrong. Two adults working 1.5 jobs each, ought to be able to support a family of four. But, on the other hand, if your finances are so limited, then why do you have 2 children? Yeah, I remember in my much younger days, there was a phrase used in those circumstances that went like this...."God will provide". But 40-50 years ago, you didn't have the rate of inflation that exists today, so these days you need to be more prudent in your choices.

Old 06-07-2024, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
If that was indeed the case, then something was wrong. Two adults working 1.5 jobs each, ought to be able to support a family of four. But, on the other hand, if your finances are so limited, then why do you have 2 children? Yeah, I remember in my much younger days, there was a phrase used in those circumstances that went like this...."God will provide". But 40-50 years ago, you didn't have the rate of inflation that exists today, so these days you need to be more prudent in your choices.
Perhaps you need to take into consideration where I lived...just outside Washington, DC.

My first very modest townhouse there is now worth $800,000.

Old 06-08-2024, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you need to take into consideration where I lived...just outside Washington, DC.

OK, I understand that comment, but I'll counter with this....my immediate family (dad, mom, and myself) moved twice (different cities), by the time I was 6 years old, as my father sought better income opportunities, to support himself and his family. There's always that, just because you were born in a high cost of living area, doesn't mean that you have to stay there....

(and FWIW, the house that my parents bought in 1960, in Rochester, NY, for $16,500, recently sold for $150,000)

Old 06-15-2024, 09:30 PM

875 posts, read 495,283 times
Quote:

And? Did someone put a weapon to your head, demanding you teach in DC?

Is anything ever your responsibility? Really?

Old 06-16-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
And? Did someone put a weapon to your head, demanding you teach in DC?

Is anything ever your responsibility? Really?
That's exactly what I was thinking. You were just more direct in expressing it.........

Old Today, 08:42 AM

20,143 posts, read 16,280,537 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I immediately thought of illegal immigration being a rich source of menial laborers

Chronic absenteeists and dropouts gets us there, too. But we knew shutting schools down during Covid was a mistake. Are we able to fix it?
I don't agree with you that it was a mistake. It was an unfortunate necessity. I had to deal with medical crises in school. When I think back to the near hysteria that would occur among quite a few parents when some child in school was found to have head lice, I can only imagine what it would have been like as more and more children had caught covid. Maybe you didn't know people who died or were near death from covid; I did.
I agree it was absolutely the right thing to do in the Spring of 2020 but by that fall we knew it did not affect children and they weren’t spreading it. We stayed out too long and some school districts were just ridiculous about it. When they surveyed teachers in my state about their feelings about resuming in-person school they also inquired if the district made them online teach from the school building or allowed them to teach from their home. Here are the eye opening results - in districts where the teachers were required to teach from the building 81% wanted the students back in-person as soon as possible and they preferred them back full time. In districts where teachers were allowed to teach from their own home 83% wanted to continue NTI at least another year.

When we returned, and we were the first large district to return, we did not have a bunch of kids or staff get Covid. Up the street from us JCPS (Louisville) had to be forced by the state legislature in emergency legislation that included threats to cut off all funding to return in person. JCPS parents still bring it up on social media - and it definitely comes up every time there is discussion about increased absenteeism, whether from the superintendent or anyone else associated with the school system.

Old Today, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree it was absolutely the right thing to do in the Spring of 2020 but by that fall we knew it did not affect children and they weren’t spreading it. We stayed out too long and some school districts were just ridiculous about it. When they surveyed teachers in my state about their feelings about resuming in-person school they also inquired if the district made them online teach from the school building or allowed them to teach from their home. Here are the eye opening results - in districts where the teachers were required to teach from the building 81% wanted the students back in-person as soon as possible and they preferred them back full time. In districts where teachers were allowed to teach from their own home 83% wanted to continue NTI at least another year.

When we returned, and we were the first large district to return, we did not have a bunch of kids or staff get Covid. Up the street from us JCPS (Louisville) had to be forced by the state legislature in emergency legislation that included threats to cut off all funding to return in person. JCPS parents still bring it up on social media - and it definitely comes up every time there is discussion about increased absenteeism, whether from the superintendent or anyone else associated with the school system.
According to Stanford University, "children are as likely as adults to catch the virus that causes COVID-19, [but] kids are less likely to become seriously ill". However, they still have the ability to spread the disease to teachers, administrators, counselors, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, custodians, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education