Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

51,291 posts, read 24,726,727 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...gious-schools/

Very problematic here in Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

45,669 posts, read 61,090,515 times
Some states allow it, some don't. This article is about vouchers but in Pennsylvania and some Maryland Counties the school systems provide bus transportation to non-public, including religious schools. In Pennsylvania it's a requirement written in law.

St. Mary's County and a couple Eastern Shore Counties provide transportation. In St. Mary's it's a County General Fund expense and not the school systems. I just looked out of curiosity and the program goes back to 1941. Howard County does the same.

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

8,221 posts, read 7,582,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some states allow it, some don't. This article is about vouchers but in Pennsylvania and some Maryland Counties the school systems provide bus transportation to non-public, including religious schools. In Pennsylvania it's a requirement written in law.
Another quirk written into Pennsylvania law is a requirement that public schools keep enough books and classroom space available at all times, for every child in the district no matter what kind of school they attend. Public, private, charter, etc. Good to know they'll be able to handle the influx, in case every non-public school in the state closes without any notice.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

8,221 posts, read 7,582,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How, exactly, is it problematic? Have the voters no say in whether poor families who need vouchers, get them?

Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
How, exactly, is it problematic? Have the voters no say in whether poor families who need vouchers, get them?
It is very problematic to me -- a Buddhist -- that my tax is being spent to promote christianity.

Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

45,669 posts, read 61,090,515 times
Quote:
It is very problematic to me -- a Buddhist -- that my tax is being spent to promote christianity.
If there was a Buddhist based school then the vouchers could be used at it.

As a non-religious person I have really no problem, for the most part, with the vouchers being used for religious schools. Charter schools, however, are a different story.

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

26,171 posts, read 22,351,032 times
Quote:
I don't believe the schools are promoting Christianity. From the costs that I have seen, schools that are religiously themed generally are more reasonably priced, and also available. I have lived around the country, but I don't remember there being any private schools that were not religion based, so people are given the choice at that point to choose the public school or the religious school.

Many don't like their tax dollars being spent on what is being taught and exhibited in the public schools, thus the reason that vouchers are now allowed.

Your best bet is to look at the possibility of Buddhist education. I see there are Buddhist temples in the larger AZ cities, so maybe at some point, they will offer primary and secondary education.

I'm fine with parents having a choice not to send their children to indoctrination by the state, as the schools have went bat poop crazy and are more interested in teaching children how to have sex, how to deny their biology.............

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

5,552 posts, read 7,860,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
What actually happens with every voucher program implemented in the country is that the vast majority of voucher recipients are wealthy families whose children are already attending private schools.

Very few poor children use vouchers to attend private schools because the typical voucher is inadequate to pay for tuition at a decent private school, only the worst fly-by-night operations holding classes in places like church basements with unqualified teachers. And in rural areas there often aren't any viable private school options in the first place. So those families are paying for vouchers with their tax dollars that: (1) they can't use, and (2) diminish the quality of their own local public schools.

In effect, voucher programs are nothing more than a massive transfer of taxpayer dollars away from public schools and to the wealthiest families who are already attending private schools. Who pass the money on to what are usually parochial schools run by religious organizations.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If there was a Buddhist based school then the vouchers could be used at it.

As a non-religious person I have really no problem, for the most part, with the vouchers being used for religious schools. Charter schools, however, are a different story.
And I would be TOTALLY opposed to that, as well.

Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

20,111 posts, read 18,369,695 times
Quote:
I'm an atheist and as odd as it may seem I'm not bothered even a little bit by parents using voucher monies for Christian schooling when local public schooling falls short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education