Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,873,960 times

Advertisements

Clarifing it wouldn't do any good. That would only work if you were right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 09:30 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,502,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
no, i don't think it can happen anywhere. this kind of thing happens in places where one finds kids who expect to have the best of everything, whether or not they have earned it. orange county is only one such location, but it happens to be the one where these boys live.
While this can happen anywhere, because cheating does happen ANYwhere.

It is much more likely to happen with students who under high-pressure to succeed.

He was stealing AP tests, and I've taken AP classes... they aren't easy. There is a large amount of pressure there.

He comes from a foreign family, I'm assuming there is a lot of pressure to succeed there as well.

He lives in a high money, high stress area... pressure.

The cheating that the media capitalizes on is in the high pressure, high money schools. Duke, Orange County, the third article I saw was on ABC news and was about high pressure schools.

So, while I agree with Donn that it COULD happen anywhere. Its going to occur more often when people have a sense of entitlement (usually goes hand in hand to being born with money) and there is pressure to be the absolute best... not the best you can do, but the best there is. (Being born into money)

Orange county is just one example. Now, can we blame it on media? Give me a break. People need to be able to differentiate fact from fiction.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,277 times
I live only about 15 minutes from Tesoro High and know some people with children at that school. Its biggest problem is that a huge majority of its boundaries have kids from Coto de Caza (the community on the Real Housewives of OC) and they are some of the most spoiled kids out there. These are the type of kids that won't talk to other kids because their car isn't nice enough. Tesoro students have had problems before from several drunk driving accidents and deaths, two students arrested for writing a note to their teacher saying they wanted to kill her, students arrested for beating a man and dragging him from his car for "fun," and now this. If this doesn't spell out a problem school, I don't know what does, and I am not surprised this happend at Tesoro. The kids deserve the prison time.

Thank God my area of Mission Viejo had a boundary change out of Tesoro High and we have all been reunited at one high school with more "normal" middle class kids.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,929,154 times
LOL not every college or university does background checks.

Most housing/apartment complexes don't want convicted felons that commited violent or sexual acts.

The world doesn't revolve around people that are perfect in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Please don't blame this crime on the OC life style, it can happen anywhere.
They won't get 38 years in jail, but they did ruin their lives, even if they get no time. Wait until they try to get admitted to a good college, or apply for a job. With today's back ground checks being done on everyone for any reason, they are in trouble. No college, no job, no home loan, no apartment..... They are doomed forever because they thought they could get away with this stupid stunt.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:02 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
Let's see him break into the system's network and change his sentence..

Just kidding. A cheater is a cheater is a cheater. He committed a crime and should do his time.... then retake those classes.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:02 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile Changing grades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
While I have my beef with this sort of behavior, there is no way this kid does, or should get 38 years. Come on! The crap I did at that age....... I actually had a friend in HS who left a window cracked open to his geometry class. Afer school was out, but before the entire building was closed down, he crawled through the window and errased and changed some of his grades in the teacher's book.

It almost worked, but the teacher was too in tune with her class caught on. When she was finalizing the grades, she recalled him failing many of the assignments that were shown to have a passing grade. She filed a report with the principle, who made a special trip to my then friend's house. His dad took him out behind the "barn" and none of use heard from him for a few months. He actually turned out to be a good guy when he grew up. His dad whipped his butt and he had to work the entire summer for free.

I think this kid should have to go through a serious work program and perhaps a few weeks in jail. 38 years is rediculous and I'm an old hard ars. In a way, what he did was sort of funny, but then again, nobody is admitting to laughing.
You know, when I was in high school back in the olden days, we had a Dean of Boys (and Girls) - that's also when you listened to your parents but parents were parents - my brother who is a great guy told me once he and his friends would have probably done much worse had it not been for the Dean of Boys and our dad. Today, there's no accountability, get a lawyer, no problem.

I would advocate that when a kid does something wrong - for example, graffitti on a building - punishment - stand there and repaint the whole building in front of everyone. It will have results.

38 years way too much.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:05 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,502,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Let's see him break into the system's network and change his sentence..

Just kidding. A cheater is a cheater is a cheater. He committed a crime and should do his time.... then retake those classes.

He does that... I can almost guarantee that if he does serve jail time, he'll have a job as soon as he gets out. Especially if he can do it without getting caught in the process.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:50 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
While this can happen anywhere, because cheating does happen ANYwhere.

It is much more likely to happen with students who under high-pressure to succeed.

He was stealing AP tests, and I've taken AP classes... they aren't easy. There is a large amount of pressure there.

He comes from a foreign family, I'm assuming there is a lot of pressure to succeed there as well.

He lives in a high money, high stress area... pressure.

The cheating that the media capitalizes on is in the high pressure, high money schools. Duke, Orange County, the third article I saw was on ABC news and was about high pressure schools.

So, while I agree with Donn that it COULD happen anywhere. Its going to occur more often when people have a sense of entitlement (usually goes hand in hand to being born with money) and there is pressure to be the absolute best... not the best you can do, but the best there is. (Being born into money)

Orange county is just one example. Now, can we blame it on media? Give me a break. People need to be able to differentiate fact from fiction.
Oh, please... I do agree with some of what you're saying, but this is hardly a common issue in upper-class communities. I grew up in such a place, went to a VERY tough private prep school, and this simply didn't happen. We did have our share of nervous breakdowns, plenty of drug/alcohol abusers, and even a couple of suicides (esp if you count anorexic death as suicide). But I NEVER heard of anyone doing stuff like this, and we undoubtedly had students who could've figured out how. While my classmates were under a ton of pressure to succeed, they were also smart enough to understand the consequences of such actions... maybe it's different in a public (or non-academic) wealthy setting, but I don't think this is a widespread problem. Let's just call it what it is, a couple of dumb students - regardless of their family status.

P.S. As for myself at that age, luckily my parents never put that kind of pressure on us. They were happy with "trying your best," even if it resulted in B/C grades... and I doubt my parents are that unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education