Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:01 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times

Advertisements

The local elementary here uses Every Day Math. It's essentially useless and expensive, but they invested thousands in the program and cannot afford to admit they made that big of a mistake with taxpayer's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:02 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I know this is an old threat however, Im looking to find out the Name of the Math Curriculum that the Elementary Schools use??? my daughter will be entering 4th grade the next school year...

TIA...
There is no way for any of us to know what curriculum your school uses unless we are in your school's community. Just ask the teacher.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:06 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I am not sure what the baby thing has to do with math either.

Social Studies? Sure.

The first problem seems okay to me. I think it's good to put math into a context of real life. That's the way I finally was able to master it... after several difficult math classes, taking a "consumer math" class gave it some relevance for me (figuring out tax on an item, balancing your checkbook, calculating a 25% discount)... but I still struggle with Algebra or anything related, and as an adult I still haven't managed to pass College Algebra.

My largest frustration has been with my kids not having the multiplication tables DRILLED into them like they were for me. I am NOT mathematically inclined at all, but I learned those tables in 3rd grade and can spout them off now in my sleep and this has helped me immeasurably over the years in figuring out other problems. Neither of my sons were taught this the way I was, just hard core memorization... and they have struggled as a result. I had to do it at home with them. Never understood why it wasn't "drilled" into their heads (and this was not just one school... they've attended private, public, and publicly funded charter schools across the city).

The birthday thing is great for graphing. How many birthdays are in each month.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:28 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The birthday thing is great for graphing. How many birthdays are in each month.
You're right about that, but the real problem here is that they do a lot of graphing--like every day. Since I started this thread months ago, I've had a chance to see this curriculum in action, and I have even less confidence in it now.

One day, while subbing in a very upper class school, I sat in on a 4th grade math class. The assignment for that day was to take the class over to a second grade class and each kid was to measure the height of one of the 2nd graders with a tape measure. This was about 20 minutes of chaos, then we went back to the classroom and made a (you guessed it!) graph. Then the kids measured their own heights and made another graph. Then they colored and decorated them beautifully. Each child basically collected 2 pieces of data--their own height and that of one second grader. Each child spent at least 30 minutes decorating a graph. And also, try to imagine measuring your height with a 3 foot tape measure. It was not a consistent method, to say the least, and the kids knew that. In a 1-1/2 hour class they didn't learn anything that I could see b/c they already knew how to make a graph--they'd been doing that all year.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:45 PM

What I've found is that math has become too wordy in school. Kids don't learn the basics like they should and are taught instead, to rely on calculators. They see the answer, write it down and forget it. I guess that's a lazy way of not teaching fundamentals, but it's short changing kids for the future.

I don't use math a lot, but I use it every day. Had I not learned the basics, I would be at a loss.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:48 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I know this is an old threat however, Im looking to find out the Name of the Math Curriculum that the Elementary Schools use??? my daughter will be entering 4th grade the next school year...

TIA...
You should ask the school. There is not a national curriculum. There are national standards though. You could probably look those up and get a handle on what she should be learning.

My local school district uses a math program designed by University of Chicago.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You're right about that, but the real problem here is that they do a lot of graphing--like every day. Since I started this thread months ago, I've had a chance to see this curriculum in action, and I have even less confidence in it now.

One day, while subbing in a very upper class school, I sat in on a 4th grade math class. The assignment for that day was to take the class over to a second grade class and each kid was to measure the height of one of the 2nd graders with a tape measure. This was about 20 minutes of chaos, then we went back to the classroom and made a (you guessed it!) graph. Then the kids measured their own heights and made another graph. Then they colored and decorated them beautifully. Each child basically collected 2 pieces of data--their own height and that of one second grader. Each child spent at least 30 minutes decorating a graph. And also, try to imagine measuring your height with a 3 foot tape measure. It was not a consistent method, to say the least, and the kids knew that. In a 1-1/2 hour class they didn't learn anything that I could see b/c they already knew how to make a graph--they'd been doing that all year.

Yes they knew how to make a graph, but the were conducting an investigation into height and grade. They were also working on measurement skills. I know it sounds dumb, but it was a good way to engage the kids.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Yes they knew how to make a graph, but the were conducting an investigation into height and grade. They were also working on measurement skills. I know it sounds dumb, but it was a good way to engage the kids.
"What did you learn in school today Junior?"
"I learned how tall I am"
"What else?"
"Nothing, we colored."

Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
"What did you learn in school today Junior?"
"I learned how tall I am"
"What else?"
"Nothing, we colored."

That may be what Jr. says but in reality it was a lot more than that. Being able to conduct investigations is a big deal.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
That may be what Jr. says but in reality it was a lot more than that. Being able to conduct investigations is a big deal.
But it isn't to satisfy you. They're supposed to learn something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education