Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:38 AM

214 posts, read 595,194 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this should be here or in parenting, but I'm trying to see how prevalent this is, and if you guys think it's OK.

Here's the deal -

I have an incredibly bright, musically gifted (offered 1st chair on 4 instruments), athletic (all-star in two sports every year), handsome, charismatic nephew in a top magnet program in middle school. The last week of school, one of the many girls who like him complained to the school that he was "harassing" her online. He was expelled from school 3 days before Summer vacation.

She was upset that he was giving his attention to another girl, and was using the social networking site to say mean things about that girl to my nephew. When he basically told her to shut up and leave them alone "or else" (and a few other choice words like "you're stupid" and other typical kid things), she made the complaint.

Neither kid is old enough to even have these accounts on these sites. They never used school time or school computers to access them. He was expelled because of their "no tolerance" policy regarding "terroristic threats". She admitted he'd never said anything threatening to her at school, just what I mentioned above online. And no, his parents didn't know he had a page; they're not computer-savvy (well, they weren't before this).

He was shocked and heartbroken sitting in the principals office listening to these labels applied to him and being told he was kicked out. Is this really how all these post-Columbine policies were intended to be interpreted? I know I'm totally biased, but it doesn't seem like this action is keeping with the spirit of the law.

Is my little nephew a terrorist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:02 AM

16 posts, read 41,205 times
no he is not... I had a friend when I was school many years ago say something along the lines of, I'm going to blow so and so's house up. He was actually talking to the guy but anyway I was there. He was truly joking at lunch. He went to jail right then and there. He did 6 months of juvenile probation and got expelled. The teacher's and principal said no tolerance. We were also the "good kids"

Old 06-21-2008, 09:01 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
It's unfortunate for your nephew but since we live in such a litigious society, schools are going to err on the side of caution. If the girl reported it, the school is going to act on its policy or risk a lawsuit. I believe there is legal precedent in that if the parties are connected through the school (like your nephew and this girl) then it doesn't matter where an incident takes place, the school still has liability.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:28 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,278 times
I don't understand how telling someone to shut up online has anything to do with blowing up America

Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
It's the "or else" part that really is the issue. Good kids sometimes do bad things.

Let's use your nephew as a hypothetical case -- he tells someone to "shut up or else," and everyone brushes it off as "he's just a kid." He continues to stew about whatever it is that's going on and, a week later, brings some kind of weapon to school and attacks the girl that he thinks is causing the problem.

(Remember, this is just hypothetical -- I'm not in any way saying that your nephew would do this!)

Maybe the girl is just slightly injured but, heaven forbid, maybe she's killed. By someone who had, albeit in a childish way, threatened her. The parents were notified, the school was notified, and nothing was done.

I can guarantee you that the school, the school district, and possibly the Principal personally, will be sued.

No one's willing to take a chance these days, and zero tolerance means just that.

Unfortunately, social networking sites make it extremely easy for kids (and adults ) to say things that they'd never say in person. Plus, once something is posted, it's there for everyone to see. No more "you said," "nuh-uh," "uh-huh" .....

So -- is your nephew a terrorist? Probably not, but schools these days operate under the "it's better to be safe than sorry" principle.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,278 times
ter·ror·ism (tr-rzm)
n.
The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:17 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
Yes, your nephew is a terrorist. He needs to be locked up, banned from flying and monitored for all activity as he is a threat to the freedom of the US. The US may just crumble because of him. Sarcastically speaking of course.

Welcome to the brave new world!

Old 06-21-2008, 03:50 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
aren't ALL children below the age of 18 really terrorists????????????

Old 06-21-2008, 07:32 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
Quote:
If the girl reported it, the school is going to act on its policy or risk a lawsuit.
How does that work? Seems to me the school is equally open to a lawsuit from the son's parents.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:46 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,462 times
Problem is, kids nowadays are acting on what used to be empty threats. And far too many have cheap and easy access to things that make acting on those threats easy and deadly. Bad combination. Unfortunately for all of us, we can no longer afford to be complacent. We can't brush things off as "kids will be kids". The phrase "or else" can take on a whole new meaning from what it meant 50 years ago. We've seen that the consequences of the wrong kid saying "or else" have been catastrophic.

As far as I know there is currently no way to determine in advance who that "wrong kid" is. So we just have to clamp down on everyone.

Everyone, kids and adults, needs to learn a new way of talking. Phrases that used to be considered innocuous can no longer automatically be thought of as such. In the old days, it was said you couldn't yell "Fire!" in a crowded theatre. Well now "Fire!" has been expanded. There are things you just can't say. Period. Not in person, not in public, not on the internet.

Kids, especially, need to be aware of that. No more just spouting off. It makes me sad that some stupid knuckleheads (and their clueless parents) have made it worse for all of us, but that's just the way it is. We have to adapt. It is imperative that parents and schools as a team go over the new ground rules with kids, for everyone's safety.

Your nephew has learned a sad but powerful lesson. Have his parents learned anything? Have they discussed with him what happened and why? Does he understand why his words and actions were problematic? Or is it just you who is concerned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education