Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:19 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray View Post
School lunches - do all USA students buy lunches, or do mums make them? Does it differ from school to school?

How about uniforms - are they common in the USA?
Students have the option to buy their lunch, eat what they bring, or buy milk to go along with their packed lunch at my school. Most of the students in my class are packers - their mom's pack their lunches and they only buy lunch occasionally - perhaps once a month. My own kids and I are packers as well.

Yes, it does differ throughout the country.

Uniforms are common in private schools, but not in public schools in my area. This too differs from place to place. The US is a huge country and it's hard to generalize. I hope this helps you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
with cutbacks school lunch programs are being affected.
parents are responsible for feeding their kids. the schools came to the correct conclusion that for whatever reasons, this was not happening.
hence meal programs.
how sad.
the astounding part is that most of these adults who have stopped feeding their kids decades ago, (thanks to school breakfast and lunch programs), consider themselves wonderful mothers.
the sky is cryin.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-22-2008 at 09:33 AM..

Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
So, your kids could go to school with short shorts, their mid-drift showing and t-shirts that say 'Legalize marijuana'.
Wow, I thought all schools had at least some dress code, I am shocked.
You would probably be told to turn the 'Legalize Marijuana' shirt inside out, but the rest is acceptable, yes. I think there was something about not wearing clothes that advertise drugs or alcohol. A funny story about this: when my brother and I were in high school, our school had a policy that guys could not wear plain white t-shirts (underwear). They were allowed to wear white T-shirts with writing on them. [This was in the mid-60s.] So my bro wore a T-shirt to school that said "Budweiser, Breakfast of Champions". He was allowed to stay and didn't have to turn it inside out!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
parents are responsible for feeding their kids. the schools came to the correct conclusion that for whatever reasons, this was not happening.
hence meal programs.
how sad.
the astounding part is that most of these adults who have stopped feeding their kids decades ago, (thanks to school breakfast and lunch programs), consider themselves wonderful mothers.
the sky is cryin.
The school lunch program is a Department of Agriculture program. It started out as part of the old "surplus food" program. It is designed to keep farm prices up. Had little to do with nutrition, at least in its inception.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:37 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
hence meal programs.
how sad.
the sky is cryin.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

I'm confused. Do you think parents whose kids buy lunch at school are bad parents? If so, what makes them bad? If not, can you explain yourself.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 AM

847 posts, read 3,519,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I'm confused. Do you think parents whose kids buy lunch at school are bad parents? If so, what makes them bad? If not, can you explain yourself.
I would assume that PP is talking about kids who are on free/reduced lunch and often not being fed at home. Now, THAT is a program that is being taken advantage of.
If this is not what they are talking about then I am confused too.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:53 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
Default Most schools has dress codes, believe it or not. . .

Most schools I have ever been in, either as a teacher, a parent, or just a community member, *whatever* had a dress code. There has been talk of uniforms -- even if nothing but khaki or navy slacks, and polo-style shirts -- because some students are unable, for whatever reason, to determine what is acceptable vs. unacceptable attire for school.

As a faculty member at a large HS, I wearied from telling the fellows to pull up their pants, tuck in their shirts, take off the baseball caps, and I'd like a count of the number of bra straps, teddy-style tops, spaghetti straps, thong underwear, pajamas, complete with slippers, too short skirts and too-tight clothing some of the gals showed up for class wearing.

We haven't even covered the inappropriate logos and sayings on the Tshirts. Two of my favorites over the years were sported by SR Class boys -- one read in big, block letters as if the blocks were tumbling and crumbling, "Go to Hell, World. I'm a Senior." Too funny, but only because that is exactly the attitude of the SR in the HS, especially Spring semester. The other shirt looked, for all practical purposes, looked like a nice polo shirt, but across the upper-left section of the chest, was a little Captain's face, in a sailor's cap, with the logo, "Cap'n Dick's Oyster Roast." The face of the little guy was the male anatomy turned upside-down, one part making the good captain's nose, the other his little round, tanned cheeks.

I could hardly believe what I was seeing as I stood at the door to the classroom, saw him approach me to walk into class. Believe it or not, I had the young man last hour of the day, and he was still in the shirt. He said not one teacher, aside from me, had said anything to him, or sent him to the Office for a ruling on the shirt. I just politely asked him to refrain from wearing it again to my class. He was nice enough to comply. I couldn't believe his parents let him out of the house in the thing, myself.

Very seldom did I ever have a student get really belligerent about their clothes and my taking issue with them, but I tried to find the right way to approach them -- either with humor, or humor with some exaggerated disbelief, or a discussion of what was 'offensive' back-in-the-day when I attended HS in the 1970s (which sort of intrigued them -- the hippie-deal and all). Only once did I put a young lady (NO lady, not by the way she was dressed) in the hallway. She wanted to attract attention to herself by asking me why I was looking at her chest, and I told her the way she was dressed, there wasn't anyone in the class who wasn't. She had on a halter top, of all things. Again, I couldn't figure out how she got to my class, last hour of the day, dressed like that.

When my own daughter was in middle school and HS, there was a ruling on the inseam length of the girls' shorts, and it was darn-near impossible to find a pair with at least a 6" inseam. The kids called them 'old lady' shorts. It used to gross-me-out imagining a young woman's bare bottom on the chair in the classroom, with their skirts as short as they sometimes were. Ewwwwww, I thought.

Surely there has to be a happy medium between the uniforms I wore in Catholic School -- navy skirts with suspenders, white blouses, navy bow ties and beanies, a navy sweater, socks and black-and-white oxfords (the same, only in white, for Mass and communion on Fridays), and what the kids want to wear now.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
purchasing food does not make one evil, not feeding your kids is evil.
not feeling the obligation to feed your kids is evil. many let the kid do breakfast and lunch program and scrounge when they get home for dinner, this is common. not much in the way of a meal in the frig or cabinets, this is a CPS issue often.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:58 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
Default Please re-consider what you might think at first glance. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
I would assume that PP is talking about kids who are on free/reduced lunch and often not being fed at home. Now, THAT is a program that is being taken advantage of.
If this is not what they are talking about then I am confused too.

If you taught, or routinely even volunteered, in the schools, you might be less-inclined to think the free/reduced lunch was a program being taken advantage of -- so many of these children come from homes unimaginable to most of us, and breakfast and lunch are the only meals they get. I don't begrudge the children that, even if their mothers are crack-whores and the fathers absent from the home. Most of these families, even if intact, generally work minimum-wage jobs. Try supporting a family on that.

You cannot right the wrongs of the world, or punish the abusers, by denying the children.

Consider yourselves fortunate if, for whatever reason, you have been able to do better by your family.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,291 times
This discussion reminds me of what Jamie Oliver (The Naked Chef) is/was trying to do in England. He is trying to tackle the problem of really unhealthy food being served up in English schools. I'm not sure if some kids pack their lunches or if they all eat there, but I guess the standards in those cafeterias are pretty bad. He set out to show that you can give children healthy choices without breaking the bank. I hope he succeeds there and starts a world revolution of sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education