Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:03 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times

Advertisements

Oh, I did plenty of my child's homework when he attended public school. The stuff the teachers sent home was just ridiculous. I always told the teacher though. It was no secret. (And it was also obvious!) But nothing changed.

One teacher sent home a huge wordsearch once - HUGE - the puzzle was in upper case the word list was in lower case. The words were 10+ letters long and scientific and this was 1st grade and my special ed child wasn't reading yet. It took me a couple of hours to do it. When I took it in the next day to complain the teacher said I was the third one to do so and she had no idea the puzzle wasn't age appropriate. Sometimes the teachers just need some feedback.

The 2nd grade project where they had to do genealogy on their family tree to the point the family came to the US was a joke. Luckily I already had it since we go back to the Mayflower but I had to write it all since my special ed child wasn't writing yet.

3rd grade we went to a special ed private school and the school explicitly tells the parents do not do the kids homework - if they can't do it, write a note at the top so the teacher knows they need to re-teach or adjust the assignment. The child won't get a zero for not doing the work. It's much better. He's almost high school now and responsible for his homework and he does it. I email the teacher if he doesn't understand an assignment so it can be re-taught at school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
FarNorth, thats awesome and thats the kind of feedback that teachers need.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
3rd grade we went to a special ed private school and the school explicitly tells the parents do not do the kids homework - if they can't do it, write a note at the top so the teacher knows they need to re-teach or adjust the assignment. The child won't get a zero for not doing the work. It's much better. He's almost high school now and responsible for his homework and he does it. I email the teacher if he doesn't understand an assignment so it can be re-taught at school.
That is EXACTLY what should happen.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:06 AM

847 posts, read 3,519,166 times
Not only can I not stand when parents do the homework, it drives me batty when they bring the forgotten homework to their kids at school. These kids need to be taught that when they forget their homework, there is a consequence. If mommy is constantly at the school delivering the forgotten homework, the kid will learn nothing.
Now, bring it the first time, sure but after that, take the consequence and learn a lesson.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:35 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Not only can I not stand when parents do the homework, it drives me batty when they bring the forgotten homework to their kids at school. These kids need to be taught that when they forget their homework, there is a consequence. If mommy is constantly at the school delivering the forgotten homework, the kid will learn nothing.
Now, bring it the first time, sure but after that, take the consequence and learn a lesson.
Yeah, those are the ones who turn into "helicopter parents", perpetually hovering, once the little darlings go off to college. My sis is a chemistry prof in one of the state universities, and she regularly gets phone calls from parents who want to dispute the grades she's given to their bone-idle offspring who couldn't be bothered to attend lectures, do the labs or turn in reports but still think they should get an A for the class. I can't imagine what happens once they get into the workforce; or rather, I don't WANT to imagine it!

Old 07-06-2008, 11:36 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
I don't think parents should do the homework, but bringing it to them when they forget....there's nothing wrong with that.....kids will be kids and let them be kids. They will have more years at adulthood to be adults then they had as a child to be a child. Give them a break.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 AM

847 posts, read 3,519,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I don't think parents should do the homework, but bringing it to them when they forget....there's nothing wrong with that.....kids will be kids and let them be kids. They will have more years at adulthood to be adults then they had as a child to be a child. Give them a break.
Lessons have to be learned, period. I have seen all too often the kid that has no sense of responsibility because mommy has taken care of everything for him.
Now, I am not talking about a kindergartener, I am talking high school kids.

Yeah, they will have more years at adulthood to be irresponsible and expect that someone else will pick up the slack they leave behind.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:08 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
I can tell you what happens when they reach my college classes:

Them- "But I don't think it's fair that I got points off on my test because I didn't know the answer."

Me- "That is the point of a test."

Them- "But I KNEW it, I just FORGOT the answer. So that's not fair."

Me- "Then you didn't KNOW it."

Then they stomp off and throw a fit

Old 07-06-2008, 01:29 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
I'm a parent of two, a year apart in school. They'll start 8th and 9th grade respectfully in the fall.

When they first started in elementary school, I admit, I had a tendancy to start off helping them with their homework, mostly always math, but end up somehow doing it instead. This happened a few times in the early grades.

But then I realized I wasn't helping them at all, I was hurting them. Especially because math is a subject that continually builds upon itself. If they didn't get the basics, there was trouble ahead in the advanced classes.

So I buckled down and, much to their dismay, forced them to do it for themselves. Yes, I would answer a question they had or explain a concept, like others on here said, but no longer did I end up doing the problem. Therefore, they really learned how to do it on their own and now get A's and B's on their own. They're proud of their accomplishments and so am I.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
I can tell you what happens when they reach my college classes:

Them- "But I don't think it's fair that I got points off on my test because I didn't know the answer."

Me- "That is the point of a test."

Them- "But I KNEW it, I just FORGOT the answer. So that's not fair."

Me- "Then you didn't KNOW it."

Then they stomp off and throw a fit
THEN mommy calls the Dean of Students or better yet, the VP of Instruction.... LOLOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education