Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:16 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times

Advertisements

Well well well, my area (Southern Orange County, CA in the LA area) sure has had its share of cheating. Check out this previous CD thread to learn about two Tesoro High School students that were arrested for breaking into their school and changing grades. //www.city-data.com/forum/educa...ng-grades.html

This week 385 students at another south Orange County school, Trabuco Hills High School in Mission Viejo, CA, about fifteen minutes from Tesoro High School, had their AP exam scores canceled due to cheating. Ten students confessed to cheating after the College Board who does the SAT and AP Exams suspected the cheating. 690 Exams had scores thrown out taken by 385 kids. Parents are threatening to sue the College Board because they feel the non-cheaters should not be punished. What is your take on the issue? The College Board clearly has a policy that all students have scores eliminated in mass cheating. Should all the AP grades be eliminated? Here are two articles on the issue:
News: AP exam scores canceled at Mission Viejo high school | school, students, exam, college, district - OCRegister.com
News: Trabuco Hills students taking action against tossed-out AP exams | students, ets, testing, trabuco, school - OCRegister.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
If that is the College Board's policy, then I do not think that the parents have the right to sue. The College Board, however, might extend an olive branch and allow the other students the chance to re-take the test for free.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:20 PM

They do have the right to retake the test. The 385 students do not want to and feel it is unfair because the information is not as fresh. The College Board set a date in August for the retake but parents are complaining about family vacations during that date and it being too soon to be completly prepared. Ten students admitted cheating and the College Board is suspicious because cell phones were used to transmit answers to many kids. It is unknown how many more may have cheated. The school district is putting pressure on the College Board also, but the school district is also at fault due to a lack of the correct number of proctors and having students face each other instead of all in one direction.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
I think if these kids were caught cheating, that would constitute fraud, and they should be punished to the full extent of the law. They should not be allowed to retake the tests.

The penalty must be severe to punish the perpetrators and deter any future inclinations by such spoiled and ignorant kids. Funny how some kids feel such a sense of entitlement and protection that they feel they can do anything and are above the law. I think the law should really hammer them. No cause for leniency here.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
The 385 students do not want to and feel it is unfair because the information is not as fresh.
They should already be familiar with the information.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
They should already be familiar with the information.
I agree, retaking it should not be such a big deal. Especially because they get to take the exams at a less stressful time of the year than May when the students are bombarded with the AP tests and then have state testing literally the week after. May is an overload month for kids so I think they can relax more with a summer exam. It is unfortunate that 385 kids, many which are innocent (who knows how many more cheaters there are) have to be punished for the action of their school and the actions of a few students.

The only good thing out of this is hopefully South Orange County students will learn that cheating does NOT get them ahead and there are consequences. Now that the area has had two high schools have major cheating scandals, the students may learn something.

This is not a good reflection on Trabuco Hills High School's culture either. Recently they made the news for having a major food fight the day of a school pep rally and beating up on some lower class men. The school canceled the pep rally and about 200 students held a sit in in the school quad refusing to go to class and demanding their pep rally back. I kept thinking, get over it and live with the consequence, it is just a pep rally! Now the school has this cheating problem too. Hopefully the sense of entitlement will be slapped out of these students. It is interesting because Trabuco is not a rich school like Tesoro was. It is more middle class drawing 85% of its student body from middle class cities Lake Forest and Rancho Santa Margarita. The rest are Mission Viejo residents.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:26 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
if they know which students cheated and which did not...yet chose to dispose of all scores - I'd sue for discrimination and improperly securing the records against this sort of thing.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
if they know which students cheated and which did not...yet chose to dispose of all scores - I'd sue for discrimination and improperly securing the records against this sort of thing.
They only know 10 students cheated because they admitted to doing it. A few other kids could be in the group of the "innocent" 385 that also communicated by cell phone and received answers so the College Board feels they must cancel all scores because a few more cheaters may be out there.

I'm surprised the students even had cell phones. My son said that when he took his AP tests that they were told to leave their cell phones in their lockers or in their backpacks, which were stored in the gym closet. They then had a security company hired that used metal detector wands to check the kids for electronic devices as they entered the gym. I think they would be better off maybe to sue the school district for creating a unapproved testing environment.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
They only know 10 students cheated because they admitted to doing it. A few other kids could be in the group of the "innocent" 385 that also communicated by cell phone and received answers so the College Board feels they must cancel all scores because a few more cheaters may be out there.

I'm surprised the students even had cell phones. My son said that when he took his AP tests that they were told to leave their cell phones in their lockers or in their backpacks, which were stored in the gym closet. They then had a security company hired that used metal detector wands to check the kids for electronic devices as they entered the gym. I think they would be better off maybe to sue the school district for creating a unapproved testing environment.
Ok, so discrimination is eliminated...if the school can reasonably prove that there is a possibility of additional cheaters. They can't just arbitrarily say, "well, 10 admitted, others might be guilty, so we'll just delete them all", that doesn't fly unless there's some other reasonable logic behind it. The easy way to go about it is to get some of the confirmed cheaters to rat on the others.

So we come to cell phones. If they were supposed to be prohibited by the school, it's the school's fault for creating the environment in which the kids were allowed to cheat. All kids shouldn't be punished for the school's oversight. That's why there are laws in place for similar deals to this: If traffic cameras are put in an intersection but no signs that tell you the cameras are there, and people break the law, the tickets will be thrown out, because "clear and conspicuous signage" is usually required, even though they did break the law.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:42 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
If they want to sue somebody, sue the kids that cheated. They're at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education