Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM

847 posts, read 3,519,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree with this statement. Why would you pull a student who is getting A's out of the "regular" class if you didn't expect that they could do better? My daughter is in AP classes, I struggled with this decision myself. I didn't want her to be overwhelmed with the additional homework etc that AP class has, and I didn't want her A to go to a C because of it. Universities will look at this. I have called several myself to help make this decision with her. I spoke to admissions people at Rutgers, Villanova, and Princeton. I asked them what harm would it do if my child is offered AP classes and doesn't take them...well - the answer is pretty much what I thought - A student who gets an A in regular class will be chosen over the student who gets a C in an Honors or AP class. This answer stood for all 3 Universities.
Here is the real truth to that statement. Guess which one is getting in? Neither. When you are talking highly competitive colleges and universities, let's use Villanova and Princeton, you need AP scores AND good grades. Sure, C's in AP courses will not do but A's in regular courses, sorry, no.

I GUARANTEE you that NO ONE is getting into Princeton without A's and B's in AP and Honors courses.

I was a high school counselor for years and am now working in college admissions, trust me, I know. Asking admissions officers that question backs them into a corner and it is not a black and white issue.

When I counsel students, I say this. Sure, AP and honors courses are better than regular courses and you are NOT going to get into the highly competitive schools without them. If you can take these courses and get A's and B's, great, if you are getting C's, we need to talk.
The caveat is senior year, take the advanced curriculum even if you think you might get C's and apply early to college. They will make their decision based on what you are taking and as long as you do not flop, you will be fine.
The most important thing in college admissions is the courses you take. A schedule full of regular classes is very unimpressive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post

My daughter took only two AP classes but got into every college she applied to, got a wonderful merit aid package, and graduated with highest honors from that college.
It depends where you want to go. With some colleges, 8 or 9 AP classes is the norm and you need it to be a strong applicant.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:12 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
It depends where you want to go. With some colleges, 8 or 9 AP classes is the norm and you need it to be a strong applicant.
That was what I was trying to explain and exactly what I keep hearing. In the UC system, you need those AP classes and solid grades to get into the best campuses like UCLA, Berkley, or San Diego. A schedule of regular classes with good grades is satisfactory for campuses like UC Santa Cruz or UC Riverside.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
False, false!! Any high school course, namely Algebra I and foreign language that are taken in eighth grade will be on the high school transcript and will be in the GPA. If you get a low grade, you can ask to have it removed but if it is an A, it will be there.
I think this depends on the state/school. At my son's school (private) the kids get credit for HS classes taken in middle school but their GPA does not start until HS.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think this depends on the state/school. At my son's school (private) the kids get credit for HS classes taken in middle school but their GPA does not start until HS.
Private schools are different but I have never heard of a public school (and again, I work in admissions and evaluate transcripts from everywhere) that does not count Algebra I and and other class taken in eighth grade as high school credit and all credit is part of the GPA.
Private schools have their own set of rules.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
Novanative, maybe you need to look at more schools. Foreign languages and math classes taken in Middle School do NOT go on the High School transcript at my kids public HS. GPA starts at the HS. Obviously if the first math in 9th grade is Alg II or Geometry than one knows that they must have had the prior math class in MS but it's not counted as a HS class.

I understand that the many competitive colleges expect a high number of AP's but I've never encouraged my kids to play that game. So far, so good. My youngest (rising 10th grader) will probably take 4 or 5 AP's. Our school only offers 12 so that will be fine.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Novanative, maybe you need to look at more schools. Foreign languages and math classes taken in Middle School do NOT go on the High School transcript at my kids public HS. GPA starts at the HS. Obviously if the first math in 9th grade is Alg II or Geometry than one knows that they must have had the prior math class in MS but it's not counted as a HS class.

I understand that the many competitive colleges expect a high number of AP's but I've never encouraged my kids to play that game. So far, so good. My youngest (rising 10th grader) will probably take 4 or 5 AP's. Our school only offers 12 so that will be fine.
I think that the public schools around here work the same. The kids get HS credit for any HS classes taken in MS but the grades do not count in thier HS GPA (which is a shame for my son because he got A+ in both HS classes he took last year).

Old 07-17-2008, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
False, false!! Any high school course, namely Algebra I and foreign language that are taken in eighth grade will be on the high school transcript and will be in the GPA. If you get a low grade, you can ask to have it removed but if it is an A, it will be there.
Both my daughters took Algebra I in 8th grade; it did not go on their high school transcript. This was in Colorado.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,543 times
Quote:
Private schools are different but I have never heard of a public school (and again, I work in admissions and evaluate transcripts from everywhere) that does not count Algebra I and and other class taken in eighth grade as high school credit and all credit is part of the GPA.
Private schools have their own set of rules.
Our school district requires algebra I and geometry to graduate, so they were included on the transcripts for credit only. It includes the grade, but they were not factored into the two GPA's on the transcript since they were taken during middle school. One GPA is for 9-12 and the other is for 10-12.

My son took Spanish I in middle school and that was included also due to foreign language being a district credit.

The other classes from middle school were not included because they are not classes that count toward high school credits.

Last edited by missionhome; 07-17-2008 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
I think the above posts tell us every district does it differently. No one should say "that's the way it is" in reference to the entire US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education