Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 PM

18 posts, read 55,264 times

Advertisements

I am taking Political Science 1113 - 320 at TCC Southeast Campus for Fall semester 2008. I need to know if I am ordering the right book. It is called "American Democarcy." The ISBN of the one I am looking at online is

It is by Thomas Patterson.
I know that everyone may not agree with me but it really pisses me off that TCC will not post ANY info about their textbooks in the online bookstore except the name and author. They won't even tell you what edition it is or the ISBN number so that those of us who can BARELY afford to go to school can get books cheaper elsewhere or from other students or friends. I will have to go to the bookstore to look in the physical book just to look at the ISBN to see if it's the correct one that I want to order online!!! When I call the store they refuse to give me the info on the phone. I know they are instructed to do so but I will just go in there and look at the number anyway if I want. I mean, if I can't afford it I can't afford it so they may as well save me a drive. If anyone knows if this is the right book and wouldn't mind confirming it please let me know... thank you. ( I also posted this in the Tulsa forum...just wanted to cover all my bases)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Here's a hint- aside from math and science books, the edition does not matter.

Also, don't complain until you've emailed the professor. Professors gladly give out ISBN numbers or confirm about books.. at least in my experience. But, like I said, editions really don't matter. The only time you might run into trouble is when the professor is the one who published the textbook and wants you to buy the new edition.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:59 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Here's a hint- aside from math and science books, the edition does not matter.

Also, don't complain until you've emailed the professor. Professors gladly give out ISBN numbers or confirm about books.. at least in my experience. But, like I said, editions really don't matter. The only time you might run into trouble is when the professor is the one who published the textbook and wants you to buy the new edition.
EXACTLY! I have not paid for ONE book from the bookstore. If need be I go in and take a mental pic of the cover image, write down the ISBN or take a pic with my camera...go to an online store and purchase. Sometimes even math and english teachers use older editions by 1 or 2 editions. I paid $10 for my calculus book and everyone else went in and paid $120 for it in the bookstore. I paid $25 for my accounting book that was $145!!!!
Gotta love the internet.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:46 AM

Default Thanks

I didn't even think of talking to my professor about it... I have always bought my textbooks on e-bay for very cheap but get tired of going in to the bookstore (some of which are sold only at Northeast campus) just to look at the book and get the ISBN because when I call the bookstore they refuse to give it to me over the phone. Thank you for your replies! It helps a lot...

Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 AM

Default By the way...

When I said said I wanted to order "online" I meant e-bay or other sites, not the online TCC bookstore. That is why I needed more info - to make sure it was the right book I was getting off of e-bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education